Alexey

Braid thickness 20 vs 40 lb — does it matter?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2018 at 8:03 PM, The Salty Fisherman said:

The thickness definitely matters no matter what size lure.  A larger plug with 20lb braid will fly while a larger plug with 50lb braid will cause the cast to fizzle out and you won't get as much distance.  Unless you are fishing super rocky areas like jettys or beaches with lots of submerged rock structure, I would go as light as possible.  I start around a 30lb power pro and work my way up depending on structure.  

It seems to me that wind knots are more of an issue with thinner braids... especially as they get older and more loose

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, cashews121 said:

Check out Paulusfishing

Anazing info at Paulus website.  *

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post commercial links here - thanks :-)

53 mins ago, raider73 said:

Another thing to consider is if you're using a spinning reel vs. casting reel.  I noticed the difference on the spinning but hardly a difference on a casting reel.

Yep, very true. Casting reel is a "push" mechanism and you can adjust the "push" speed by freeing the reel up to compensate for thicker diameter line. Can't do that for spinning reel where friction or the lack of,  plays a large part in distance. 

Wind knots in light braid are usually more difficult to undue; however, some reels have such good line lay that wind knots are very uncommon with them.........the exception being strong cross winds.  While the increase in distance is quite noticeable by going lighter, other aspects of going lighter are very much underappreciated by most.  If you're a jig or finesse fisherman you know what I'm talking about.............the increased ability to comfortably use lighter jigs and/or unweighted plastics and perhaps even more importantly, the big increase in sensitivity.

There is a thread pinned to the top of this forum with information about every braid out there - diameter, strength even the weight of the braid. Check it out :)

TimS

Alexey likes this

15 mins ago, TimS said:

There is a thread pinned to the top of this forum with information about every braid out there - diameter, strength even the weight of the braid. Check it out :)

TimS

Amazing stuff.  Thanks so much, Tim.

You’d be amazed at the difference just going from 40 to 30 ... I normally use 30lbs jbraid on my z25 .. about a month ago they were out of 30 so I grabbed 40 .. hated it so much .. casting distance was killed , specially throwing lighter stuff .. 

Alexey, are you using 1/4 and 1 oz. lures/plugs most of the time? If so, I would use 20....if you are fishing surf and fish are large and you are casting heavier lures I would go up to at least 30. I use 20 lb J Braid on all my reels that I surf fish, but the fish I am targeting are not line breakers....maby an occasional bull red that will got 20-25 lb. and the 20 lb. will hold up if your drag is right...have caught many with this set up. I think you will not see any difference in 20 vs 30 lb if casting 2 to 4 oz lead, but that is just me. I just like 20 lb. J Braid and I know it is 6 lb. dia. compared mono, and it will break at 30-35 lb. best I remember. Have it on several reels and for the money you won't beat it.

I've used 40/50lb 832 (literally .01 difference) and 20lb. 90% of the time now I find myself using the 20. Less wind resistance, less water resistance, breaks over 30 lbs. I fish more sandy beaches, on the rocks I break out the 50. But for distance I absolutely see a difference between 40/50 and 20lb.

Big difference between 20 or even 30 lb test and 40 or 50 when it comes to casting distance and feel. I routinely throw 3 oz plugs while fully loading my 11’ MH rod with 40 or 50 lb power pro. Doing the same thing with 20 or 30 lb test convinced me to tape my casting finger after two casts. The distance is equally as noticeable 

On 11/6/2018 at 8:20 PM, Alexey said:

Would the difference be drastic or 2-3 yards?

On 11/6/2018 at 8:22 PM, cashews121 said:

More than that...couldn’t tell you exact ,,too many variables with Braid diameter..but thinner will absolutely make a noticeable difference 

On 11/6/2018 at 10:53 PM, Alexey said:

Assuming 1 oz lure, no wind and exactly the same rod and reel, how significant would you guess the difference will be?

A big factor will also become how aerodynamic the lure is and whether it is tumbling in air during the cast. That will slow down the lure which brings it back to the water faster. I can cast a 3oz Roberts Ranger like a bullet and yet a 3oz Hogy paddle tail will not cast nearly as far. 

I think you are on to something in that there is a point of diminishing returns where a heavier line, with a larger diameter, makes less of a difference. It is those "other factors" mentioned above that start to have a disparit impact. 

Lastly, not all braids have the same diameter for a stated line test on the box. J braid I have found is much thicker, relatively, than powerpro. 

Oh, and don’t forget that the line test on the box is not necessarily break strength, which is another discussion....  

Isn't it true that with the PE lines that the more expensive lines have a smaller diameter and higher breaking strength? I know the higher end lines are very expensive 

35 mins ago, Big Will said:

Isn't it true that with the PE lines that the more expensive lines have a smaller diameter and higher breaking strength? I know the higher end lines are very expensive 

I use Daiwa Jbraid 8 strand and 832, the latter is thinner and they are both smooth. I don’t like regular power pro and I am using less Momoi Diamondbraid these days. Expensive? Sure, but you pay for the quality. 

31 mins ago, tomkaz said:

I use Daiwa Jbraid 8 strand and 832, the latter is thinner and they are both smooth. I don’t like regular power pro and I am using less Momoi Diamondbraid these days. Expensive? Sure, but you pay for the quality. 

Well I pay enough for my reels so to me it is definitely important. Line is what connects you to the fish so why skimp on that