Braid thickness 20 vs 40 lb — does it matter?

Rate this topic

Alexey

Whenever I use really small lures, like 1/4 oz, I can definitely feel the difference between using 10 lb braid and 40 lb braid.  However, when I am casting something over 1 oz, the difference in line thickness seems to have minimal, if any effect on cast difference.  With monofilament line, the difference was huge.  But has anyone ever compared the effect of braid?  Other than the amount that fits on the reel,  is it worth it going thinner for 1oz plus baits?

Edited by Alexey

It all depends on what your fishing for and structure/obstacles/rocks and anything that can cause the line to break. Ten lb braid will break off quicker than 40 lb. 

Many folks don't realize that when braid first came out, it was to give the user a stronger line to replace the mono they were using in the same size diameter. Not the lb test. 

Meaning if someone was using 12lb mono, the braid they would switch to was the same diameter. Lets say the 12lb mono has a .035 mm diameter, the user would get a 40lb or 50lb braid with the same .035 dia. 

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

If I am casting, say a 1 oz kastmaster with a 20 vs 30 vs 40 lb braid, should I expect much of a difference in distance?  If I can cast 100 yards with 20 lb line, from your experience, how far can I expect to cast with other lines, given the exact same setup?

The thickness definitely matters no matter what size lure.  A larger plug with 20lb braid will fly while a larger plug with 50lb braid will cause the cast to fizzle out and you won't get as much distance.  Unless you are fishing super rocky areas like jettys or beaches with lots of submerged rock structure, I would go as light as possible.  I start around a 30lb power pro and work my way up depending on structure.  

3 mins ago, Alexey said:

If I am casting, say a 1 oz kastmaster with a 20 vs 30 vs 40 lb braid, should I expect much of a difference in distance?  If I can cast 100 yards with 20 lb line, from your experience, how far can I expect to cast with other lines, given the exact same setup?

Absolutely 

1 hour ago, ozifish said:

Amazing video and right on point.  Thanks so much for posting it!  I couldn’t have imagined that the difference is that significant.  Although I bet the difference between 20 and 30 lb line would be less percentage-wise than between 10 and 20.  Again, great find.  Thanks so much!

20 hours ago, Alexey said:

Amazing video and right on point.  Thanks so much for posting it!  I couldn’t have imagined that the difference is that significant.  Although I bet the difference between 20 and 30 lb line would be less percentage-wise than between 10 and 20.  Again, great find.  Thanks so much!

One point I must mention,,not all 10lb Braid is the same diameter. ,,same goes for all other lb tests. You would be amazed at how much difference there is between brands. Also,a lot of the time,the specs given by manufacturers are not so accurate. 

13 mins ago, cashews121 said:

One point I must mention,,not all 10lb Braid is the same diameter. ,,same goes for all other lb tests. You would be amazed at how much difference there is between brands. Also,a lot of the time,the specs given by manufacturers are not so accurate. 

What brand’s specs would you say are less accuraye?