Alexey

Braid thickness 20 vs 40 lb — does it matter?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Whenever I use really small lures, like 1/4 oz, I can definitely feel the difference between using 10 lb braid and 40 lb braid.  However, when I am casting something over 1 oz, the difference in line thickness seems to have minimal, if any effect on cast difference.  With monofilament line, the difference was huge.  But has anyone ever compared the effect of braid?  Other than the amount that fits on the reel,  is it worth it going thinner for 1oz plus baits?

Edited by Alexey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all depends on what your fishing for and structure/obstacles/rocks and anything that can cause the line to break. Ten lb braid will break off quicker than 40 lb. 

Many folks don't realize that when braid first came out, it was to give the user a stronger line to replace the mono they were using in the same size diameter. Not the lb test. 

Meaning if someone was using 12lb mono, the braid they would switch to was the same diameter. Lets say the 12lb mono has a .035 mm diameter, the user would get a 40lb or 50lb braid with the same .035 dia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I am casting, say a 1 oz kastmaster with a 20 vs 30 vs 40 lb braid, should I expect much of a difference in distance?  If I can cast 100 yards with 20 lb line, from your experience, how far can I expect to cast with other lines, given the exact same setup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thickness definitely matters no matter what size lure.  A larger plug with 20lb braid will fly while a larger plug with 50lb braid will cause the cast to fizzle out and you won't get as much distance.  Unless you are fishing super rocky areas like jettys or beaches with lots of submerged rock structure, I would go as light as possible.  I start around a 30lb power pro and work my way up depending on structure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Alexey said:

If I am casting, say a 1 oz kastmaster with a 20 vs 30 vs 40 lb braid, should I expect much of a difference in distance?  If I can cast 100 yards with 20 lb line, from your experience, how far can I expect to cast with other lines, given the exact same setup?

Absolutely 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alexey said:

Would the difference be drastic or 2-3 yards?

More than that...couldn’t tell you exact ,,too many variables with Braid diameter..but thinner will absolutely make a noticeable difference 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

That was a good watch oz. I'd like to see the difference with someone casting 2 ounces with a surf setup instead of what he was using.

Edited by chitala383

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great video, ozfish.  I just spooled my new Cabela's Salt Striker with 20lb braid today.  It filled up til about 1/16th of the edge of the spool lip.  I hope line drag on the lip doesn't decrease my casting distance.

 

Flyntus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ozifish said:

 

Amazing video and right on point.  Thanks so much for posting it!  I couldn’t have imagined that the difference is that significant.  Although I bet the difference between 20 and 30 lb line would be less percentage-wise than between 10 and 20.  Again, great find.  Thanks so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Alexey said:

Amazing video and right on point.  Thanks so much for posting it!  I couldn’t have imagined that the difference is that significant.  Although I bet the difference between 20 and 30 lb line would be less percentage-wise than between 10 and 20.  Again, great find.  Thanks so much!

One point I must mention,,not all 10lb Braid is the same diameter. ,,same goes for all other lb tests. You would be amazed at how much difference there is between brands. Also,a lot of the time,the specs given by manufacturers are not so accurate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing to consider is if you're using a spinning reel vs. casting reel.  I noticed the difference on the spinning but hardly a difference on a casting reel.

aquaholik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, cashews121 said:

One point I must mention,,not all 10lb Braid is the same diameter. ,,same goes for all other lb tests. You would be amazed at how much difference there is between brands. Also,a lot of the time,the specs given by manufacturers are not so accurate. 

What brand’s specs would you say are less accuraye?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.