cashews121

Sandy Slop Sink

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Have same issue. May be salts formed from detergents. Detergents and soaps are saponified esters of fatty acid which have a positive ion like sodium or potassium on the ester. These ions May become detached during wash cycle and precipitate out as insoluble salts which form from negative ions in the dirty cloths.

Is there a rain conductor tied in to the same drain line as the sink ? If so the line may be partially blocked and when it rains shingle grit is backing up into the sink. Hope this helps, good luck.

23 hours ago, flyrad10 said:

Have same issue. May be salts formed from detergents. Detergents and soaps are saponified esters of fatty acid which have a positive ion like sodium or potassium on the ester. These ions May become detached during wash cycle and precipitate out as insoluble salts which form from negative ions in the dirty cloths.

Interesting theory- I'd be inclined to believe sodium or potassium ions would remain soluble even in salt form.  Any idea what the offending anion would be in order to cause the precipitation?

Could be magnesium, calcium or iron salts which are found in hard water but synthetic detergents as opposed to soaps supposedly do not precipitate salts of these ions. I am not a soap or detergent chemist and upon further research my theory may be mistaken but I will continue to research the appearance of gritty or sandy like precipitate in washer rinse water. 

Edited by flyrad10