cashews121

Sandy Slop Sink

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Weird ,,but I keep finding sand in the slop sink I have to assume it’s coming out of the washing machine when it’s in rinse cycle. It’s not like I am on the beach every day and it’s in the clothes,,so I have no idea where the hell its coming from. I am starting to think broken pipes or something...anyone ever run into this?

16 hours ago, cashews121 said:

Weird ,,but I keep finding sand in the slop sink I have to assume it’s coming out of the washing machine when it’s in rinse cycle. It’s not like I am on the beach every day and it’s in the clothes,,so I have no idea where the hell its coming from. I am starting to think broken pipes or something...anyone ever run into this?

Likely pieces of your washers tub or spinner support coming out. 

What brand/model of washer is it? 

3 hours ago, Scallywag said:

Likely pieces of your washers tub or spinner support coming out. 

What brand/model of washer is it? 

Speed queen 

Are you on a well? It would be unlikely to see sand make it through the inlet valves and all the way to the sink through the washer discharge. 

Not ruling anything out but speedqueen is not known for the "sand" issue. 

13 mins ago, Scallywag said:

Are you on a well? It would be unlikely to see sand make it through the inlet valves and all the way to the sink through the washer discharge. 

Was going to ask if on a well and also if he has a water treatment/softener installed.  Think some of that filtering product can look a lot like sand

Do you have an old water heater?  We just replaced one that was spitting particulate into the hot water.  Not exactly like sand but same size and similar shape.

45 mins ago, JimW said:

Was going to ask if on a well and also if he has a water treatment/softener installed.  Think some of that filtering product can look a lot like sand

Yeah it's just unlikely that all that sand would make it through the inlet valves and screens, fill system, tub, pump and hoses...

2 hours ago, Scallywag said:

No not on a well,,this is my moms house,south queens 

2 hours ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Do you have an old water heater?  We just replaced one that was spitting particulate into the hot water.  Not exactly like sand but same size and similar shape.

It was installed right after Sandy so that’s was late 2012

2 hours ago, sbcbmx112 said:

You could have solved that with a Y strainer.  I had that on an indirect, it was the plastic dip tube disintegrating.

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

You could have solved that with a Y strainer.  I had that on an indirect, it was the plastic dip tube disintegrating.

I suggested attempting a fix and was overruled.  The unit was electric and had passed its 18th birthday.  The lady wanted to convert to propane so can you guess what we have now? :)

Are you sure the sand is only there after the washer runs? 

I've seen sand make its way to a sink or whatever when construction is don't on water mains nearby. 

Do as nightfighter suggested with the sock/stocking. Make sure it's coming from the washer. 

1 hour ago, Scallywag said:

Are you sure the sand is only there after the washer runs? 

I've seen sand make its way to a sink or whatever when construction is don't on water mains nearby. 

Do as nightfighter suggested with the sock/stocking. Make sure it's coming from the washer. 

Can’t be sure,,I’ll try the sock when I go by her house