icarussound

Never toss a popper into a frenzy

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

That’s my new rule!  The mullet  run has kicked into hi gear again here in SE Florida. 25 lb leader on my light rod, bucktail tied direct remained intact this afternoon a fish on every cast from little ladyfish to huge jacks. Of course the bucktail got pretty ragged.  My long rod, 50lb leader, great for pencil popping, got cut off 3 times in the frenzy. $30 lost! It’s fun but frankly I can’t afford it...

20 mins ago, Kima said:

Start making them, that's why I did.  Why buy one for $20 when you can make one for 2?

What did the lathe, tools, paint, epoxy, hardware, labor, etc.. cost ya?

32 mins ago, nateD said:

What did the lathe, tools, paint, epoxy, hardware, labor, etc.. cost ya?

The tools were pre-existing, my time is basically worthless, and I use about a dollar (two for a lipped plug) in hardware and a few cents worth of paint and epoxy.

Plug making is not for everyone. I enjoy it but might go for two years without finishing a plug. There is no need for me to ever buy another wooden lure given what I have whether my own, what I have traded for and/or bought. But no one should enter it as a hobby which you will save money at versus buying lures, IMHO And I am a contractor who had many of the tools for my trade.

39 mins ago, Kima said:

The tools were pre-existing, my time is basically worthless, and I use about a dollar (two for a lipped plug) in hardware and a few cents worth of paint and epoxy.

I’m envious

3 mins ago, bjelley said:

Make them out of broom sticks. The fish don’t care in a frenzy.

I would never throw a 20 dollar plug in to a bluefish frenzy, that’s when the cheap stuff comes out. Id love to build plugs at some point, hopefully my time is worthless one day and I can do with it whatever I feel like.

If you go through them like that and you don't have a lot of tools, casting them from resin or Bondo is the way to go. Lots of info around here on making RTV molds.