rubberheels

Van Stall finish

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Saw a guy today in Pt Pleasant and his VSX150 is changing color from black to a bronze or copper color!

Never saw that before. Told him to take it down to the Fishermans Hdqtrs in Ship Bottom NJ and see what they say. the reel is only 2yrs old! I've always had good luck with VS.

Edited by rubberheels

25 mins ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I think that this looks amazing!  I would be ecstatic if this eventually happened to mine! 

Kind of like a badge of honor!! Lol Right up there with bass thumb!

That’s actually really cool. 

Unrelated but the same thing happens to some (lucky) ROLEX Submariners when exposed to the sun.  Collectors call it “ Tropical Dial” Submariner and they fetch prices of triple or quadruple the actual value. 

You never know.

My first Van Staal that I bought 25 years ago faded too. I kinda liked the way it looked. I call it SEASONED. :th:

And just for the record, 25 years ago those reels were $400 brand new. 

On 11/6/2018 at 5:56 PM, Sandbar1 said:

I personally think it looks kinda cool. I won't be unhappy when my black vs 250 starts to turn bronze 

+2

Patina = good thing.

Pretty common to see anodized aluminum products fade and change color, ESPECIALLY when subjected to long periods of sunlight. I can't help but wonder if having the reels exposed to a strong saline solution like sea water along with UV doesn't hasten the process.

And yeah, it can look pretty cool when it changes color. I have an old FN Mauser with an aluminum trigger guard and floorplate that has faded from black to gold. Of course it is over 60 years old, we all tend to fade a bit by then, lol!