Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishhappy

Ec9 and hollow points

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

When i bought my EC9 i was sold Fmj 9mm. The guy whobdies my training tild me i should be using hollow point, for self defense in a potentially busy area. The reason was that hp will not go through a target and hit a bystander.

the guy who sold me the ec9 said he cant recommend hp for the EC9. 

Anybody out there use hp with an EC9? If so, what brand. Any other suggestiobs are welcome too.

6 mins ago, fishhappy said:

When i bought my EC9 i was sold Fmj 9mm. The guy whobdies my training tild me i should be using hollow point, for self defense in a potentially busy area. The reason was that hp will not go through a target and hit a bystander.

the guy who sold me the ec9 said he cant recommend hp for the EC9. 

Anybody out there use hp with an EC9? If so, what brand. Any other suggestiobs are welcome too.

That's BS. A jacketed bullet will penetrate to a greater degree than a hollow point will doesn't mean it won't go through something. If what you hit is a person all the energy of a hollow point may be used up before it can go through, but if what you hit is a sheet rock wall a hollow point can easily go through it and kill someone on the other side.

On 11/6/2018 at 4:50 PM, Bass Ackwards said:

That's BS. A jacketed bullet will penetrate to a greater degree than a hollow point will doesn't mean it won't go through something. If what you hit is a person all the energy of a hollow point may be used up before it can go through, but if what you hit is a sheet rock wall a hollow point can easily go through it and kill someone on the other side.

it is not BS.

It is why urban PDs switched to HPs.

On 11/21/2018 at 1:33 AM, RegDunlop said:

it is not BS.

It is why urban PDs switched to HPs.

From Hornady:

Critical Defense®

Personal Protection / Concealed Carry

Critical Defense® handgun ammunition was developed to provide the best performance for DEFENSIVE or PERSONAL PROTECTION SITUATIONS and is the ultimate choice for any short barreled, concealed carry style firearm.

The FTX® bullets loaded in all Critical Defense® handgun ammunition are designed to expand and provide the terminal performance needed for close encounters often associated with personal protection situations. Given that, Critical Defense® is NOT intended for use in extreme (law enforcement) situations that require superior barrier performance.*

The FTX® bullet will expand reliably and will not clog like standard hollow point bullets when fired through heavy clothing.* Additionally, Critical Defense® ammunition IS optimized for short barreled, concealed carry style handguns and will not deliver excessive recoil and associated muzzle flip.

Critical Duty®

Tactical / law enforcement

Critical Duty® handgun ammunition is built to meet the needs and requirements of LAW ENFORCEMENT and TACTICAL PROFESSIONALS, as well as those law abiding citizens who prefer a full-size handgun for their personal protection and demand superior barrier penetration and subsequent terminal performance.*

The FlexLock® bullets loaded in all Critical Duty® offerings are rugged, heavy jacketed bullets that deliver virtually "barrier blind" performance (i.e. total penetration, weight retention and expansion are practically the same) when shot through common urban barriers* (bare gelatin, auto glass, sheet metal, plywood, drywall, heavy clothing*).

In addition, Critical Duty® loads are "full power loads" designed to function full-size handgun slides. Although designed to work flawlessly in ALL handguns, these loads are NOT optimized for short barreled, concealed carry style handguns; they will deliver standard recoil during firing.

FBI Tested and Selected

some time after the amadou diallo shooting in NYC, NYPD switched to hollowpoints.

ball ammo goes straight through and while it most def can kill you, takes longer to stop somebody.

in that sense, hollowpoints are more "humane."  expansion helps stop a threat sooner - so you don't keep blasting away with more boolits.

the problem is - you have make sure whatever brand of hollowpoint ammo you settle on WORKS IN YOUR GUN.  fire at least a box through your gun (max ayoob says shoot at least 400 rds).  i know - expensive - but not all hollowpoints work in every gun.  i found that out the hard way.