Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iphish

Today's voters

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Most of us ( at least I hope so) vote every year, big or small elections and decisions we vote. That's a great thing.

Today I was overwhelmed with social media to go vote. My concern is some will vote today because well its fashionable, cool or my girlfriend said I should.

When I vote especially on local decisions I do research, subtle as it is weeks in advance. I ask people ahead of time for their opinion too. Then I  decide from there on local issues.  One of which involves a river, small one that winds thru several townships and eventually empties to the ocean. My town,  along with their many committees and boards wish to remain control over it.  Writing rules and laws. The alternative is the federal government to declare it ( under the national parks) a scenic beauty waterway. Its not a working river its a river that vastly is used for recreating. The feds will write one set of laws or rules for all the townships many based on other rivers in other areas of country. Parks included. The selectman in town for the most part are split. Money and advertising has poured in make the issue against the federal government versus "us" town folk. 1  remarkable thing here much of this advertising they no longer mention the well being of the river- which is at the core of the vote. Instead "don't let the feds take over our town"

anyway back to voting..... I just hope these knumbskulls that never have or rarely voted before and suddenly decide that "Taylor Swift" said i should vote "today".  I have a funny feeling the "record turnouts" we may hear about are uneducated, ill-informed and voting with emotion rather than forethought. What a waste.

Finally a celebrity sport figure with a brain in her head....

I was recently asked in an interview if I was going to vote, and I told the reporter I was not sure if I was going to, partially because there is such a negative atmosphere around politics in our nation, but mainly because it kind of scares me to voice my opinion if I am not 100% educated on every matter. It seems like so many people are all too comfortable forcing their opinion on everyone else, without having all of the facts or even understanding what they’re talking about, and I really didn’t want to be that person. But I have also seen and heard so many people speak out about important issues— issues that will decide the future of our country, and how we are able to live our lives. Perhaps the most important thing that I have heard is that if you are not willing to vote, then you can’t complain about the outcome. So, after I got home from Europe I opened my ballot and spent a lot of time looking into each candidate and measure on it. And today, I voted. I won’t claim to be a political expert on the issues in our country or the world. I certainly don’t have any answers. I’m a ski racer, not a politician. That said, it was so liberating to know that I can use my voice and my right to vote, so I know that I have done my best as an American citizen to attempt to make the difference for our future. The message I’d like to convey is pretty simple: Do your research to figure out what you want and believe and then go exercise your right (and privilege) to vote- wisely. Oh and be kind to each other. That’s pretty much it.