Sandflee

New way to Dose

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

given the current abuses of Opioids within today's society and the proven abuse by medical professionals finding a way to profit off the backs of some addicts is it really necessary to approve a drug dosage that's now 1,000 times stronger than morphine and 100 times stronger then fentanyl

Dsuvia is a sublingual (meaning it is taken under the tongue) form of sufentanil (a synthetic opioid) that’s delivered through a disposable, pre-filled, single-dose applicator, the FDA says. It is restricted to being used in certified medically supervised health care settings like hospitals, surgical centers, and emergency departments.

The medication won’t be available at pharmacies and shouldn’t be used for more than 72 hours.

Alan says the concern around the drug is “valid given the potential for abuse.” However, she adds, the safeguards that the FDA has put in place should help.

Dsuvia “works exactly the same as morphine and other opioids do,” Alan says. Meaning, it binds to opioid receptors in your body to help reduce or block pain. “This drug just will work a lot more than morphine — it’s 1,000 times stronger,” she says.

The serious potential side effects are the same as with morphine, Alan says, including decreased respiration, trouble breathing, coma, and death. “It doesn’t tend to cause itching or blood pressure issues like morphine, but the concerning side effects are still there,” she says.

According to Brown, historically, the FDA has not demonstrated an ability to enforce such controls with any other opioid, and “there is currently no educational nor regulatory scheme” in place that guarantees the agency’s approach to regulating Dsuvia will be any different.

“It is my observation that once the F.D.A. approves an opioid compound there are no safeguards as to the population that will be exposed, the post-marketing analysis of prescribing behavior, or the ongoing analysis of the risks of the drug to the general population,” Brown wrote in the letter.

I saw an interview with a woman from the FDA on this, it has a place to fill some rare needs.

I don't see how you can compare it to prescribed pharmacy meds that are self administered.

The bigger quandry in my mind is do we not introduce beneficial technology because we are afraid that it will be abused?

It's probably more along the lines of not introducing technology because it WILL be abused.

Every drug they create, approve and release for treatment to the public soon becomes a public issue because as they say "Build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door"

You create a better, more powerful (and probably more addictive) drug and it WILL definitely soon become the recreational drug of choice. Unless you can monitor and patrol it's prescription, sale and use it will always end up being sold on the street.

It's one of the down-sides of human nature.

that's the problem the intention of keeping it out of Pharmacy's doesn't mean it will not find it's way into the mainstream, whats next something 100,000X more potent than Morphine?

45 mins ago, Billybob said:

I saw an interview with a woman from the FDA on this, it has a place to fill some rare needs.

Yeah, I believe the interview I saw one of the examples they mentioned was a need to treat wounded soldiers on the battlefield, so there's that...

On 11/6/2018 at 6:26 PM, fishing pete said:

I heard they are going to use it for solders wounded in battle. 

next they will have the medics carrying Narcan too