t0phtrt

Help with Lathe Drill Chuck

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I have the cheap 10x18” Harbor Freight lathe. I purchased a drill chuck. The instructions say to install into the tailstock, which I did. But I’m confused as to why? Shouldn’t it go into the headstock so the drill spins? And is that possible with this lathe and chuck? 

Many thanks in advance for the help.

s-l1600.jpg.694c5e51eb21ebf0a4860e705999eca7.jpg

s-l1601.jpg.44d1a1f079511f44c00d3907c8c58b94.jpg

Lathes are meant to turn the material you are cutting, so if you want to drill something, the drill bit stays stationary.  That's why the drill chuck mounts

to the tail-stock. 

Thanks. I’ve seen some posts on here and some videos on ytube with some using the headstock. Is that more “against the grain.” Wondering if anyone who has done both can comment as to the advantages of one versus the other.

I use the headstock. Especially when doing the thru-hole so I can move the plug with the tailstock. Also when I'm doing the scoop on my pikie plugs. If it's an MT2 then it should work. I have the same lathe and bought the same chuck from HF.

28 mins ago, lonellr said:

I use the headstock. Especially when doing the thru-hole so I can move the plug with the tailstock. Also when I'm doing the scoop on my pikie plugs. If it's an MT2 then it should work. I have the same lathe and bought the same chuck from HF.

thank you - any advice on removing the spur center from the headstock? i tried holding the balance wheel and turning the faceplate counterclockwise as the manual suggests but it seems I am not strong enough for that.

You knock the spur out through the center hole in the spindle from the rear. You should have a knock out rod that came with the lathe.

The spur is on a taper just like the drill chuck you just bought. 

1 hour ago, t0phtrt said:

thank you - any advice on removing the spur center from the headstock? i tried holding the balance wheel and turning the faceplate counterclockwise as the manual suggests but it seems I am not strong enough for that.

It comes with that rod you put in the hole in the middle of the wheel and just give it a couple hits with a hammer and it’ll pop out.

I always put the drill bit in the head stock and then use the tail stock center to keep everything lined up on thru hole drilling, start with a short drill bit first (less likely to walk on you) then switch to the longer bit to complete the thru whole.

OnTheFish and lonellr like this

Ok, my bad on my previous post.  I was thinking about my larger (engine) lathe.  If you're using a headstock chuck large enough to hold the piece you want to drill, it's easiest to keep the drill bit stationary in the tailstock and turn your part.  For smaller lathes, it's a different situation and will be safer to turn the drill bit using the headstock.

Putting it on the stationary side allows you to use longer fluted bits which can bend and slash you open if you use them on the spinning side

Don't ask me how I know

21 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Putting it on the stationary side allows you to use longer fluted bits which can bend and slash you open if you use them on the spinning side

Don't ask me how I know

"Don't ask me how I know."  That is one powerful mental image. I bet you only did it once!

thanks for all the info. so far I’m at 50% success rate using the headstock. mahogany. thinking i need a bit that won’t bend at all? also i was trying to push the tailstock instead of just using the wheel. that seemed to screw me up.