Crunch Bunch

Surf bag recommendation?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hello gentlemen,

I am kinda new to the surf thing, been fishing on boats for many years, looking to get into the surf more seriously but am looking for some pointers on gear.  Can anyone recommend a surf bag that's not too big and not too much $ ?  Was looking at Shimano Blue Wave bag, small one, I shop at Tackle Direct often. ANY other gear suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Don't want to waste $ on something I find out later is not really what I should have bought.   I live in north Jersey and am about 1 hour from the Hook.   Also any good books or web sites beside this one for tips on tactics ?  Don't want to be one of those "googans" that are unwanted, have listened to many of you about what not to do which I have the common sense not to do any way, always respect my fellow angler !!!  Thanks for any assistance, Mike.

for a long time i used an out doors etc bag. if your just walking the beach it does a good job if your deep wading or in a wetsuit it's a recipe for disaster.  I also used tennis ball containers instead of the tubes. 

Have the Shimano Bag, then bought a Gear Up bag. I ended up going back to the Shimano bag.

Holds more and you can better organize stuff. Also, the shoulder strap is longer.

Check out the supreme surf bags,  great for the $.. I started with one and have since collected a bunch of "high end bags",,, still use the supreme alot. 

I’m also in the blue wave bag camp. It’s not fancy, but it works. I have the biggest one. It’s really a great size. Sometimes I take plugs out just to keep it more orderly cuz it’s so big. 

I usually go by the idea that you start out with low to mid end gear and then invest more as you learn what you like. You may like bucktails best and require a bag with more pouches or a dedicated bucktail pouch. Or you may like really big wooden plugs which would work better in the higher end bags IMHO. 

Fyi. 

For my bluewave, I use a belt in combination with the shoulder strap. It spreads the load. 

Best value has to be the old Plano surf bag (I have two of em) Best part is that instead of tubes it has a plastic box with removable dividers.

I have one set up without the dividers for bait fishing, just toss everything in and go, no buckets. Another is set up with the divider cut so that there are only 4 of the plug slots - perfect for bringing bait gear and a small selection of lures.

They don't make them anymore but they made a lot when they did. Ask around on the BST or on the 'bay

Check out the Supreme bags.  I have one as well as other types and use it the most.  Also, for belts look on the net for Uncle Mike's Duty belts. They are very stiff and support the weight of most loaded surf bags and the price is right.  can get used on auction site.

3 hours ago, coldclam said:

Check out the supreme surf bags,  great for the $.. I started with one and have since collected a bunch of "high end bags",,, still use the supreme alot. 

x2

I started with the Shimano Blue Wave medium, pretty good bag. I have since switched to the large Supreme and haven’t looked back. Both are very affordable, can’t go wrong with either. Good luck.

Edited by Mojoe