bjelley

Best plugging reel

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys thought was the best reel for plugging. I am looking for  a new reel and don’t want to spend more than 400 on a reel. I will also be pairing the reel on a 10 ft odm dna that throws 3/4-4 oz. 

Depends on how careful you are with your gear.  And if you want major sealing

That size rod you shouldn't have to go over 6k shimano, 4500 penn or 4k daiwa (6000 daiwa lt)

I disagree about the manual pick up / bail less.  I've fished tons of the newest reels.  All with bails.  And even the automatic bail trip reel never prematurely shut on me.  All you need to do is open the bail and rotate it so it locks to the bail trip and it will never shut on the cast.  On any modern reel.  Even if you have a herky jerk casting stroke.

Only advantage I can see is if you climb up rocks, or are clumsy and fall on your reel.  The only one piece bail wire design is on the saragossa....Meaning it can take a hit better than all the others

If you need seals and don't want to spend VS/ ZB money   Saragossa, Spheros,Tsunami shield are about as water tight as you can get

If you don't care about that level of sealing.  Penn Spinfisher VI, Slammer 3 offer sealing that can take abuse.  But dunks can get past them.

And a step down in sealing while having lighter rubber seals would be the Saltist, Saltist Back bay, Ballistic LT.  I just started fishing the Ballistic LT 6000 and love the lack of weight and lack of any perception of resistance at all when turning the handle (11 ounces 300 yard capacity of 30lb braid 32" per turn retrieve)

And if you want full sealing from Daiwa you deal with lots of mag sealed ball bearings and while they can take serious abuse.  It's not a casual fish hook and screwdriver job when it comes to cleaning the ball bearings.  Where as the Saltists and ballistics are easier to service since mag seal is only at one spot above the ar clutch and it's simple to deal with and ferrofluid from amazon will work.

There you have the certate HD 4000 and saltiga bj and standard saltiga.

Certate HD being the most refined reel south of 400$ for the salt.  Not many left out there at that 300$ JDM price in the states .

For the surf.......I'd proably lean Spinfisher over Slammer due to the perfectly adequate gearing and lighter graphite rotor.  And identical sealing (don't pay attention to the ipx 5 vs ipx 6 as they are the sealed identically to one another in standard SSVI form)

For crazy light weight nothing touches the ballistic LT 6k  nothing is close

The VS VR might be your best bet if you need absolute ruggedness but it's at your limit in $$

I fished a 150 for about an hour in total and it's pretty sweet..Comes with bail and bailless options in the same box.

But no where near as refined as the others (if that matters to you)

Edited by scoobydoo

3 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Depends on how careful you are with your gear.  And if you want major sealing

That size rod you shouldn't have to go over 6k shimano, 4500 penn or 4k daiwa (6000 daiwa lt)

I disagree about the manual pick up / bail less.  I've fished tons of the newest reels.  All with bails.  And even the automatic bail trip reel never prematurely shut on me.  All you need to do is open the bail and rotate it so it locks to the bail trip and it will never shut on the cast.  On any modern reel.  Even if you have a herky jerk casting stroke.

Only advantage I can see is if you climb up rocks, or are clumsy and fall on your reel.  The only one piece bail wire design is on the saragossa....Meaning it can take a hit better than all the others

If you need seals and don't want to spend VS/ ZB money   Saragossa, Spheros,Tsunami shield are about as water tight as you can get

If you don't care about that level of sealing.  Penn Spinfisher VI, Slammer 3 offer sealing that can take abuse.  But dunks can get past them.

And a step down in sealing while having lighter rubber seals would be the Saltist, Saltist Back bay, Ballistic LT.  I just started fishing the Ballistic LT 6000 and love the lack of weight and lack of any perception of resistance at all when turning the handle (11 ounces 300 yard capacity of 30lb braid 32" per turn retrieve)

And if you want full sealing from Daiwa you deal with lots of mag sealed ball bearings and while they can take serious abuse.  It's not a casual fish hook and screwdriver job when it comes to cleaning the ball bearings.  Where as the Saltists and ballistics are easier to service since mag seal is only at one spot above the ar clutch and it's simple to deal with and ferrofluid from amazon will work.

There you have the certate HD 4000 and saltiga bj and standard saltiga.

Certate HD being the most refined reel south of 400$ for the salt.  Not many left out there at that 300$ JDM price in the states .

For the surf.......I'd proably lean Spinfisher over Slammer due to the perfectly adequate gearing and lighter graphite rotor.  And identical sealing (don't pay attention to the ipx 5 vs ipx 6 as they are the sealed identically to one another in standard SSVI form)

For crazy light weight nothing touches the ballistic LT 6k  nothing is close

The VS VR might be your best bet if you need absolute ruggedness but it's at your limit in $$

I fished a 150 for about an hour in total and it's pretty sweet..Comes with bail and bailless options in the same box.

But no where near as refined as the others (if that matters to you)

What do you mean by the vr not being as refined?

Wet applications - Saragosa 6000SW, Bailed VS 150  $$

Dry applications - Shimano Ultegra,, Diawa BG, Stradics

Keep weight 16 oz or less

17 mins ago, bjelley said:

What do you mean by the vr not being as refined?

Retrieve feel.  The Shimano, daiwa, Penn reels are all smother due to gear cut and material.

VR reels are stainless on stainless and you can *depending on consistency of manufacture feel the gear mesh.

3 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Retrieve feel.  The Shimano, daiwa, Penn reels are all smother due to gear cut and material.

VR reels are stainless on stainless and you can *depending on consistency of manufacture feel the gear mesh.

Oh ok thanks.

25 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

My disdain for bailed reels has nothing to do with the bail snapping over (which is infuriating but doesn't happen often on decent reels). 

It's all about the windknots. A wire bail, especially in a wind in the face loose line condition, can easily trap the line over the top of the spool, especially with a reel that has a drag knob that sticks up high. You reel in, not knowing it's up there, especially in the dark, and the next cast has a knot in it and you're effed for a while.

That never happens with a manual pickup

Plus bail issues are very common, broken springs, stuck rollers..... never (exceptionally rarely) an issue with a manual pickup.

3 mins ago, Sudsy said:

My disdain for bailed reels has nothing to do with the bail snapping over (which is infuriating but doesn't happen often on decent reels). 

It's all about the windknots. A wire bail, especially in a wind in the face loose line condition, can easily trap the line over the top of the spool, especially with a reel that has a drag knob that sticks up high. You reel in, not knowing it's up there, especially in the dark, and the next cast has a knot in it and you're effed for a while.

That never happens with a manual pickup

Plus bail issues are very common, broken springs, stuck rollers..... never (exceptionally rarely) an issue with a manual pickup.

That's a new one.  Never had an issue with that.  With any of the reels mentioned.  Only time I ever experienced it is with the saltiga knob that has a cut in the center.  But that was when kicking over the bail and not being aware of it.  After being aware that it's design is snag prone It's been a non issue.

How many saltwater Spinning reels have you owned that are less than 20 years old :) 

Besides the ZB and Saltiga Surf

And what line were you using where that was an issue.

Last time I recall throwing a wind knot in the surf was when we were in montauk on a zeebass that they EFFED up the shimming when they upgraded to the non sand jamb spool on the gen 2.5 and I used the original spool not knowing it would be an issue.  And that was what...2009? That was a while ago

It's a regular issue that has to be monitored on my Saltiga and my Cabo.

Always pulling a foot of line off the drag after the the bail is snapped over keeps it from happening.

And any braid is prone, especially when it's new and still a bit stiff

And yes, I prefer my older NOT MADE IN CHINA reels

ZeeBaas was never the same after the design change from the bolt on sideplate to the screw on and corresponding shift of manufacturing to China

I'll be buried with my old ZX2

Edited by Sudsy

3 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Always pulling a foot of line off the drag after...

Ii do it at night in particular; though i believe it is causing premature cuts in the line rollers.

7 mins ago, Sudsy said:

It's a regular issue that has to be monitored on my Saltiga and my Cabo.

Always pulling a foot of line off the drag after the the bail is snapped over keeps it from happening.

And any braid is prone, especially when it's new and still a bit stiff

OH yeah, and it happened to my twice fishing my Sustain a few weeks ago with you and Shipwreck. No wind knots but twice over the bail and that long loop sticking out from under the line.

FWIW, when you guys have this happen, loosen the drag almost fully and pull the line off with the bail closed until the loop clears, far fewer catastrophes then taking it off with an open bail

Edited by Sudsy

6 mins ago, Sudsy said:

OH yeah, and it happened to my twice fishing my Sustain a few weeks ago with you and Shipwreck. No wind knots but twice over the bail and that long loop sticking out from under the line.

FWIW, when you guys have this happen, loosen the drag almost fully and pull the line off with the bail closed until the loop clears, far fewer catastrophes then taking it off with an open bail

I dunno man.

Thats gotta be a user thing.

Never once had an issue

Not on my cabo and I despised the bail trip on that thing as I always opened it on the ramp and the Ti bail wire would bend open but the mech wouldn't.

Edwin sports a decade old Sustain 8k and never had an issue with that.  And I used it for half the fall a few years ago without issue.

ANd I never had an issue with the emblem pro which is a non mg version of your saltiga.  

At least it's not an issue worth saying bail less only.