Theiceman33

St Croix Avid

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I bought a 10'6 Mojo (3/4-4) at the end of last year for a great price.  Unfortunately when I went to use it this year, I snapped it after about 5 casts with a SS popper.

I'm getting ready to send it back, but was thinking about trying to upgrade to a 9ft Avid rated from 2-6 ounces as part of a heavy set up for boulder fields.  For some of these spots, space can be tight, so I don't want anything that's like 10 or 11 ft because casting and landing the fish will become increasingly difficult.  Is this a good plugging rod?  Was looking to throw large topwater spooks, pencils, and metal lips over 3 ounces.

My main plugging rod is a 9ft Star Paraflex (1-4oz)

I did some searching on our forum as well as online and I can't find a whole lot of information regarding this rod and plugging.

Thanks!

The 9'6 is a complete different beast, imo.  Have you used it, Plugger?

I love my 9' 1-4 for the inlets and jetty's, but hated the 2-6.  At least check it out in a store before you purchase, OP.  

Avid's generally are very fast action blanks, not what I prefer for topwater.

I'd have St. Croix replace the broken blank under warranty. I'd also double down and order another top section rated 2-6 (or whatever the H version is). For $35, you will get a lot more rod/s for far less money. Save $ and become more versatile, win/win.

1 hour ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Avid's generally are very fast action blanks, not what I prefer for topwater.

I'd have St. Croix replace the broken blank under warranty. I'd also double down and order another top section rated 2-6 (or whatever the H version is). For $35, you will get a lot more rod/s for far less money. Save $ and become more versatile, win/win.

My issue with getting another 10'6 Mojo is that it gets kind of cumbersome using a 10+ft rod in some of the areas I fish in terms of even having enough room for a backcast with a 9ft rod and landing fish.  I think a rod that big would just make it more challenging.

1 hour ago, TLap21 said:

I love my 9' 1-4 for the inlets and jetty's, but hated the 2-6.  At least check it out in a store before you purchase, OP.  

I've been having troulbe trying to locate the 9'6 model in stores, otherwise I would check it out.

3 hours ago, Theiceman33 said:

My issue with getting another 10'6 Mojo is that it gets kind of cumbersome using a 10+ft rod in some of the areas I fish in terms of even having enough room for a backcast with a 9ft rod and landing fish.  I think a rod that big would just make it more challenging.

You already have the 9' paraflex for limited back cast zones. $35 essentially covers you with 2 completely different sticks than what you have now, it seems like a no brainer to me. Of course I don't fish where you do, so theres that.

Its difficult finding a 9' blank that covers 2-6oz that isn't a broomstick. The Lamiglas GSB 1081M is the closest I can suggest. Not great for topwater, not cheap, & not all that different than your paraflex. The 10'6" Mojo offers more distance, more moderate (or topwater friendly) action, and costs you a fraction of the alternatives.

5 hours ago, TLap21 said:

Friend of mine has the 9 6, I’ve test casted it....not my favorite.  The 9 foot handles everything I need and where/how I fish it. Vr 150 on it super comfortable....top end of 4oz is pushing it but I don’t get too close to that.  I prefer the fast action.....great when the sand eels are around.  I’m a bit of a homer though.  I keep wanting to like something else.....besides my lamiglas eeling rod St. Croix all the way.

Ive watched my buddy break brome his avids maybe like 5 times total... Really nice rod, casts really well, but its a broom stick and somethings gotta give when a rods that stiff. Ive had 2 mojos for 6 years now and only issue i had with 1 was that the handle spun. Ive beat the crap out of them, chips everywhere amd what not and theyre still going strong

Edited by aglenn

On 11/6/2018 at 4:21 PM, Ba Ba Buoy said:

You already have the 9' paraflex for limited back cast zones. $35 essentially covers you with 2 completely different sticks than what you have now, it seems like a no brainer to me. Of course I don't fish where you do, so theres that.

Its difficult finding a 9' blank that covers 2-6oz that isn't a broomstick. The Lamiglas GSB 1081M is the closest I can suggest. Not great for topwater, not cheap, & not all that different than your paraflex. The 10'6" Mojo offers more distance, more moderate (or topwater friendly) action, and costs you a fraction of the alternatives.

Ok yeah I wasn't sure if it was possible to find a blank like that since most og the rods that throw that weight are 10'6 to 11ft.  

I'll probably just get the mojo back on warranty.