Theiceman33

St Croix Avid

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

 

  I bought a 10'6 Mojo (3/4-4) at the end of last year for a great price.  Unfortunately when I went to use it this year, I snapped it after about 5 casts with a SS popper.

 

  I'm getting ready to send it back, but was thinking about trying to upgrade to a 9ft Avid rated from 2-6 ounces as part of a heavy set up for boulder fields.  For some of these spots, space can be tight, so I don't want anything that's like 10 or 11 ft because casting and landing the fish will become increasingly difficult.  Is this a good plugging rod?  Was looking to throw large topwater spooks, pencils, and metal lips over 3 ounces.

 

My main plugging rod is a 9ft Star Paraflex (1-4oz)

  I did some searching on our forum as well as online and I can't find a whole lot of information regarding this rod and plugging.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 9'6 is a complete different beast, imo.  Have you used it, Plugger?

I love my 9' 1-4 for the inlets and jetty's, but hated the 2-6.  At least check it out in a store before you purchase, OP.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avid's generally are very fast action blanks, not what I prefer for topwater.

 

I'd have St. Croix replace the broken blank under warranty. I'd also double down and order another top section rated 2-6 (or whatever the H version is). For $35, you will get a lot more rod/s for far less money. Save $ and become more versatile, win/win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Avid's generally are very fast action blanks, not what I prefer for topwater.

 

I'd have St. Croix replace the broken blank under warranty. I'd also double down and order another top section rated 2-6 (or whatever the H version is). For $35, you will get a lot more rod/s for far less money. Save $ and become more versatile, win/win.

My issue with getting another 10'6 Mojo is that it gets kind of cumbersome using a 10+ft rod in some of the areas I fish in terms of even having enough room for a backcast with a 9ft rod and landing fish.  I think a rod that big would just make it more challenging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TLap21 said:

The 9'6 is a complete different beast, imo.  Have you used it, Plugger?

I love my 9' 1-4 for the inlets and jetty's, but hated the 2-6.  At least check it out in a store before you purchase, OP.  

I've been having troulbe trying to locate the 9'6 model in stores, otherwise I would check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Theiceman33 said:

My issue with getting another 10'6 Mojo is that it gets kind of cumbersome using a 10+ft rod in some of the areas I fish in terms of even having enough room for a backcast with a 9ft rod and landing fish.  I think a rod that big would just make it more challenging.

 

You already have the 9' paraflex for limited back cast zones. $35 essentially covers you with 2 completely different sticks than what you have now, it seems like a no brainer to me. Of course I don't fish where you do, so theres that.

 

Its difficult finding a 9' blank that covers 2-6oz that isn't a broomstick. The Lamiglas GSB 1081M is the closest I can suggest. Not great for topwater, not cheap, & not all that different than your paraflex. The 10'6" Mojo offers more distance, more moderate (or topwater friendly) action, and costs you a fraction of the alternatives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TLap21 said:

The 9'6 is a complete different beast, imo.  Have you used it, Plugger?

I love my 9' 1-4 for the inlets and jetty's, but hated the 2-6.  At least check it out in a store before you purchase, OP.  

Friend of mine has the 9 6, I’ve test casted it....not my favorite.  The 9 foot handles everything I need and where/how I fish it. Vr 150 on it super comfortable....top end of 4oz is pushing it but I don’t get too close to that.  I prefer the fast action.....great when the sand eels are around.  I’m a bit of a homer though.  I keep wanting to like something else.....besides my lamiglas eeling rod St. Croix all the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive watched my buddy break brome his avids maybe like 5 times total... Really nice rod, casts really well, but its a broom stick and somethings gotta give when a rods that stiff. Ive had 2 mojos for 6 years now and only issue i had with 1 was that the handle spun. Ive beat the crap out of them, chips everywhere amd what not and theyre still going strong

Edited by aglenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 4:21 PM, Ba Ba Buoy said:

 

You already have the 9' paraflex for limited back cast zones. $35 essentially covers you with 2 completely different sticks than what you have now, it seems like a no brainer to me. Of course I don't fish where you do, so theres that.

 

Its difficult finding a 9' blank that covers 2-6oz that isn't a broomstick. The Lamiglas GSB 1081M is the closest I can suggest. Not great for topwater, not cheap, & not all that different than your paraflex. The 10'6" Mojo offers more distance, more moderate (or topwater friendly) action, and costs you a fraction of the alternatives.

Ok yeah I wasn't sure if it was possible to find a blank like that since most og the rods that throw that weight are 10'6 to 11ft.  

 

  I'll probably just get the mojo back on warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.