drumfish213

Surf top wrist seals too tight

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone cut or otherwise adjusted wrist seals on a surf top. I have a stormr surf top that is way too tight on my wrists. I realize that cutting them down to make the opening wider may result in some water coming in but I am willing to accept that trade off to make it easier to get the top off.

I heard somewhere that you can cut down the seals 1/4 inch and at a time until they fit better. I just want to make sure they are not going to unravel or anything before I start hacking away. 

Kayakers run into this issue all the time with our dry tops.  I used to cut, but don't anymore.

It is hard to get a perfect cut, often a tiny nick when you're cutting will turn into a tear a year later.  I avoid cutting as much as I can because I've had too many tears.

the simple solution is to put a can of corn (or whatever your favorite canned food is) in each wrist gasket and leave there for a couple weeks.

over time those wrist gaskets will loosen and you will be glad you didn't cut.

Cuffs maybe can be stretched (are they latex or neoprene?).  Put the cuffs over a soup (or other aluminum can) a bit larger than your wrist.  Leave them like that for 3-5 days and they should loosen up a bit.  May be a project for the off-season if you are still using the jacket to fish.

Before you do anything drastic, try putting a bottle of baby powder in your car. put a little on your wrist, around the seal before putting on or take off the dry top.  You'll be amaze how much easier it would be after powdered.

2 hours ago, hobobob said:

Before you do anything drastic, try putting a bottle of baby powder in your car. put a little on your wrist, around the seal before putting on or take off the dry top.  You'll be amaze how much easier it would be after powdered.

I will have to try this! Seems like a great idea.