Jollyrodger

Green Crabs for Blackfish

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2018 at 11:45 AM, buddha162 said:

I've heard it's a numbers bait, and I've caught numbers on it...nothing over 20". 

Have you caught large on shrimp? 

I won't fish soft baits for black fish, ever.  I like to feel them chew on crabs.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 11/7/2018 at 2:28 PM, z-man said:

I think that’s an old wives tale. Tog eat whatever they can find all year long. Barnacles, mussels, crabs, etc. 

Look at their bungs when they are feeding heavily on crabs. They are swollen and red late in the season. Early season their bungs are way smaller. I'm not saying that when it gets cold t heir bung holes open up.  It takes time t o adjust to the change in diet.

Edited by Fly By Nite

21 hours ago, nateD said:

Even in LIS? I’ve never seen a white crab around here and nobody sells them.

I know green crabs and Asian shore crabs are invasive species, even in LIS :)  Green crabs are notoriously shallow water crabs, they are actually classified as a 'shore crab'. They apparently they don't hang in water deeper than 15' or so. LIS is DEEP...without any proof I'd bet a quarter that white crabs (actually called 'rock crabs') are probably very, very plentiful in there. They love rocks - they love gravel - they love current....provided the areas of LIS we are talking about are sufficiently saline I'd bet those guys are all over the place :)  

TimS

Just now, Fly By Nite said:

Look at their bungs when they are feeding heavily on crabs. They are swollen and red late in the season. Early season their bungs are way smaller. I'm not saying that when it gets cold t heir bung holes open up.  It takes time t o adjust to the change in diet.

Aha, so its all about the butt not the mouth lol.

39 mins ago, EricJ said:

I dont mind losing a load of sinkers to learn what is happening on the bottom. What I should do one day is use a cannonball sinker with no hook just to feel around a bit during low tide.

Here is one for you Tim. Does the crab have to be on the bottom? Can it be suspended a couple of feet up? Wondering if a bobber with a leader would be a method to try during low tide when you know that crab would be hanging within sniffing distance. That would eliminate the sinker hang ups but then the bait may be moving too much.

It doesn't HAVE to be on the bottom...but that is definitely your best bet for bigger blackfish. I'd think you could get a tog to come up a couple feet for a crab as long as there was enough competition for food. I've caught blackfish on sabiki rigs that were 30ft off the bottom while anchored over a wreck trying to catch herring or mackerel that were going under the boat. Never big blackfish but that's quite a commitment to come that far off the bottom to each a shiny hook :b:

9 mins ago, TimS said:

I know green crabs and Asian shore crabs are invasive species, even in LIS :)  Green crabs are notoriously shallow water crabs, they are actually classified as a 'shore crab'. They apparently they don't hang in water deeper than 15' or so. LIS is DEEP...without any proof I'd bet a quarter that white crabs (actually called 'rock crabs') are probably very, very plentiful in there. They love rocks - they love gravel - they love current....provided the areas of LIS we are talking about are sufficiently saline I'd bet those guys are all over the place :)  

TimS

Interesting, I’ve never put my trap in more than 5 fow sonit makes sense I’ve never seen them.  I wonder why they aren’t caught and sold around here, maybe because greens are so damn easy to catch.

16 mins ago, TimS said:

It doesn't HAVE to be on the bottom...but that is definitely your best bet for bigger blackfish. I'd think you could get a tog to come up a couple feet for a crab as long as there was enough competition for food. I've caught blackfish on sabiki rigs that were 30ft off the bottom while anchored over a wreck trying to catch herring or mackerel that were going under the boat. Never big blackfish but that's quite a commitment to come that far off the bottom to each a shiny hook :b:

Thanks.. I was thinking more around a Jetty where the water could be just 4-5 feet deep. 3-4 foot leader, etc.  I may test it one day. Like you said earlier, you have to try everything

1 hour ago, nateD said:

Interesting, I’ve never put my trap in more than 5 fow sonit makes sense I’ve never seen them.  I wonder why they aren’t caught and sold around here, maybe because greens are so damn easy to catch.

There aren’t many or possibly any commercial rock crab trappers out there supplying tackle shops. That makes rock crabs sort of a boutique bait. There are apparently enough green crab trappers to keep everyone well stocked and enough competition between them to keep prices somewhat reasonable. 

The other reason why you may not be seeing them in your traps - they dont like warm water...we don’t get them regularly around here until December. Not sure when they get active in LIS. Find some current with hard sand or gravel bottom - doesn’t have to be deep but 10-20’ should be sufficient. They love clams :)

TimS

50 mins ago, EricJ said:

Thanks.. I was thinking more around a Jetty where the water could be just 4-5 feet deep. 3-4 foot leader, etc.  I may test it one day. Like you said earlier, you have to try everything

I think toggin with a bobber would be hysterical to watch...it’s hard to hook bluegills with a bobber, blackfish might be really tough :)

2 mins ago, TimS said:

I think toggin with a bobber would be hysterical to watch...it’s hard to hook bluegills with a bobber, blackfish might be really tough :)

True... too much slack in the line. No feel when you are getting chewed either.

39 mins ago, nateD said:

:confused: 

They hook themselves lol

I fish for them in the middle of winter with a bobber and a tiny jig...they don't hook themselves....then again, now I'm realizing my personal experience with bluegills in the middle of winter with a bobber and tiny jig might not be a fair representation of most folk's bluegill experience :o I do remember them hooking themselves with worms as bait now that you mention it...but it's probably been 40 years since I've done that :)

TimS

7 mins ago, TimS said:

I fish for them in the middle of winter with a bobber and a tiny jig...they don't hook themselves....then again, now I'm realizing my personal experience with bluegills in the middle of winter with a bobber and tiny jig might not be a fair representation of most folk's bluegill experience :o I do remember them hooking themselves with worms as bait now that you mention it...but it's probably been 40 years since I've done that :)

TimS

When I picture bluegill fishing I think worm and bobber in the summertime, which is about as easy as it gets fishing (in my area at least).  Winter time those suckers can get finnicky, but I still catch lots of them through the ice.  I was just surprised to see a reference to bluegills being difficult to catch, especially from you.

36 mins ago, nateD said:

When I picture bluegill fishing I think worm and bobber in the summertime, which is about as easy as it gets fishing (in my area at least).  Winter time those suckers can get finnicky, but I still catch lots of them through the ice.  I was just surprised to see a reference to bluegills being difficult to catch, especially from you.

They are easy to catch on flies, even in the winter...problem is fly lines freeze up in the guides pretty bad when it's cold. A bobber and 1/32oz jig works...but you miss a lot of bites :o

TimS