Jollyrodger

Green Crabs for Blackfish

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, TimS said:

Go fishing - bring crabs - try them with the lids on, try them with the lids off - you'll be able to establish very quickly which one is working better...on THAT day...in THAT spot...the WAY you are fishing. I emphasize those things because tomorrow can be a different story - 50' away can be a different story - using a heavier jig/sinker could make it a different story - etc, etc, etc :wave:

I fished for tog for two hours this morning before work from a jetty.  Over the weekend, I did well on Asians while a couple of guys near me got nothing on green crabs. Today, I am out there with my Asians and I am not getting a bite while two other people are catching on green crabs. Same spot.

43 mins ago, EricJ said:

I fished for tog for two hours this morning before work from a jetty.  Over the weekend, I did well on Asians while a couple of guys near me got nothing on green crabs. Today, I am out there with my Asians and I am not getting a bite while two other people are catching on green crabs. Same spot.

Were you in the same spot? Sounds like the fish just moved over.

5 hours ago, TimS said:

Like everything else in the world when it comes to fishing - don't take someone's word for anything...even if something works for them...where they fish, how they fish, when they fish with what they fish - it doesn't mean it will work for you.  And I mean that about EVERYTHING.

Go fishing - bring crabs - try them with the lids on, try them with the lids off - you'll be able to establish very quickly which one is working better...on THAT day...in THAT spot...the WAY you are fishing. I emphasize those things because tomorrow can be a different story - 50' away can be a different story - using a heavier jig/sinker could make it a different story - etc, etc, etc :wave:

I think one of the single biggest mistakes people these days make is looking at fishing like a math problem - it is not. There is not one correct answer. There's not even a way to get all the variables the same from day to day. What someone else says should never be taken as gospel - I don't care who's saying it - be skeptical - use their words as a jumping off point if you really have never done something before.  Stuff like taking the lid off a crab for tog isn't a yes or no answer, sometimes they prefer it on, sometimes they prefer it off - but let THEM tell you, not someone in a video...what the fish you are fishing for tell you is vastly more useful than anything you'll see/hear on YT.  Listen to the fish...make and keep mental notes :th:

TimS

That's the best advise I've seen.  Period.

19 hours ago, TimS said:

More importantly, green crabs aren't native and don't ever leave the rivers/bays or very near shore waters :)  The only time blackfish see green crabs away from the beach/rivers/bays is when fishermen bring them out there.  White crabs are the primary crab forage for blackfish. 

Hey Tim, 

You wrote a post a few years ago about targeting large togs, i'm sure you don't remember the specific post but it was something along the lines of anchoring a bit off the piece you want to fish and cast to the edge and drag the bait away.  I've searched around and can't find it - I remember it being really good, in fact that whole thread was loaded with good technique stuff. Any idea what thread I am talking about or could you rehash it here?   I can't find it.  Might have been in the  jersey forum.

9 mins ago, Cpalms said:

You wrote a post a few years ago about targeting large togs, i'm sure you don't remember the specific post

Could be in the Kayak Forum - here’s one response in a tog thread from there:

I do remember the post you speak of - I’m always a bit apprehensive sharing info about targeting big blackfish because I abhor people who go blackfishing to kill the biggest ones they can find. It’s stupid, short sighted and does great damage to a stock that has been in desperate need of protection for more than a decade. I remember almost not posting it after I wrote it :o

TimS

buddha162 likes this

19 hours ago, EricJ said:

A much more likely scenario for what looks like unbelievably moody blackfish is that someone beat them up in the specific spot you were fishing the day you couldn’t get a bite - and someone beat them up in the exact spot the other guys were fishing the day they couldn’t get a bite :)

Blackfish can be moody...but the mood usually affects all of them at once :) It helps to try and picture the spot you are fishing in three dimensions. You might be 30’ from the guys fishing nearby - on  a relatively flat mussel bed, not a big deal. If there’s a row of rocks or a ridge or piece of wreck between you and them you are technically fishing an entirely different spot :read:

TimS

3 mins ago, TimS said:

A much more likely scenario for what looks like unbelievably moody blackfish is that someone beat them up in the specific spot you were fishing the day you couldn’t get a bite - and someone beat them up in the exact spot the other guys were fishing the day they couldn’t get a bite :)

Blackfish can be moody...but the mood usually affects all of them at once :) It helps to try and picture the spot you are fishing in three dimensions. You might be 30’ from the guys fishing nearby - on  a relatively flat mussel bed, not a big deal. If there’s a row of rocks or a ridge or piece of wreck between you and them you are technically fishing an entirely different spot :read:

TimS

yeah I get it. I want to partner with a diver one day to map out this place down below

14 mins ago, TimS said:

Could be in the Kayak Forum - here’s one response in a tog thread from there:

I do remember the post you speak of - I’m always a bit apprehensive sharing info about targeting big blackfish because I abhor people who go blackfishing to kill the biggest ones they can find. It’s stupid, short sighted and does great damage to a stock that has been in desperate need of protection for more than a decade. I remember almost not posting it after I wrote it :o

TimS

Yup, that's it! Thank you, You know you could be a star on youtube with that kind of info LOL!.

Should I be lucky enough, big ones will all be returned home.  **** I released an 11 pound fluke this year - they almost ran me out of Montauk for that one!

51 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Should I be lucky enough, big ones will all be returned home.  **** I released an 11 pound fluke this year - they almost ran me out of Montauk for that one!

:th:  Always found it weird when people freak out over someone letting a big fish go. When someone I'm fishing with does wanna keep some blackfish we keep the 2-4# little guys...and people at the dock are always like "did you catch any big ones"...and I explain that we always let the big ones go. Half of them ask why...the other half roll their eyes like I'm lying :)

TimS

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

yeah I get it. I want to partner with a diver one day to map out this place down below

You can learn a lot about a spot with a sinker and a crab :)

TimS

2 mins ago, TimS said:

You can learn a lot about a spot with a sinker and a crab :)

TimS

absolutely... I have been learning. However, some of these sinkers told part of the story by never coming back :)

24 mins ago, EricJ said:

absolutely... I have been learning. However, some of these sinkers told part of the story by never coming back :)

As they are wont to do...it's like they'd rather stay down there than report back :blackeye:

8 mins ago, TimS said:

As they are wont to do...it's like they'd rather stay down there than report back :blackeye:

I dont mind losing a load of sinkers to learn what is happening on the bottom. What I should do one day is use a cannonball sinker with no hook just to feel around a bit during low tide.

Here is one for you Tim. Does the crab have to be on the bottom? Can it be suspended a couple of feet up? Wondering if a bobber with a leader would be a method to try during low tide when you know that crab would be hanging within sniffing distance. That would eliminate the sinker hang ups but then the bait may be moving too much.

22 hours ago, gellfex said:

Umm, by the time you snip off the legs, cut them in half, and peel the shell, what difference does the color make???

Not a color, they are different species...and I imagine they taste and smell very different :)