Jollyrodger

Green Crabs for Blackfish

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

35 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Cooked shrimp work.  

I've heard it's a numbers bait, and I've caught numbers on it...nothing over 20". 

Have you caught large on shrimp? 

1 hour ago, notime said:

Problem with squid is everything else will eat it too.   If you have porgy's around they will go nuts on the squid and drive you crazy. 

But porgies will go nuts for crab too. Elias made a vid of pummeling them with crab. I've never been too clear on when they bug out of our waters.

On 11/6/2018 at 10:35 AM, Beachglass Guru said:

I peel the shell if I'm using a jig because I've found i get a better hook-up ratio with a peeled shell vs a shelled crab.. ive found I dont have to let them nibble as long with a peeled shell, I set the hook after only a moment.. when I use a regular rig or a snafu I leave the shell intact but crush/crack it up a bit.. i also let them eat it a bit longer before setting the hook. 

I haven’t had a difference in hook up ratio if it had the shell or didn’t.

17 mins ago, gellfex said:

But porgies will go nuts for crab too. Elias made a vid of pummeling them with crab. I've never been too clear on when they bug out of our waters.

Sometime between last week of Oct and first week of Nov...you'll find them leaving the shallows and ball up in 25'+ (you can see them on the finder). 1-2 days later they are gone! 

1 min ago, buddha162 said:

Sometime between last week of Oct and first week of Nov...you'll find them leaving the shallows and ball up in 25'+ (you can see them on the finder). 1-2 days later they are gone! 

Yep, first 2 weeks of toggin season porgies were annoying the crap out of me, the past 2 weeks they seem to be gone.

10 mins ago, nateD said:

Yep, first 2 weeks of toggin season porgies were annoying the crap out of me, the past 2 weeks they seem to be gone.

At least we don't have to deal with bergals...at least not as far west as I am. I'll take porgies over bergals any day!

Like everything else in the world when it comes to fishing - don't take someone's word for anything...even if something works for them...where they fish, how they fish, when they fish with what they fish - it doesn't mean it will work for you.  And I mean that about EVERYTHING.

Go fishing - bring crabs - try them with the lids on, try them with the lids off - you'll be able to establish very quickly which one is working better...on THAT day...in THAT spot...the WAY you are fishing. I emphasize those things because tomorrow can be a different story - 50' away can be a different story - using a heavier jig/sinker could make it a different story - etc, etc, etc :wave:

I think one of the single biggest mistakes people these days make is looking at fishing like a math problem - it is not. There is not one correct answer. There's not even a way to get all the variables the same from day to day. What someone else says should never be taken as gospel - I don't care who's saying it - be skeptical - use their words as a jumping off point if you really have never done something before.  Stuff like taking the lid off a crab for tog isn't a yes or no answer, sometimes they prefer it on, sometimes they prefer it off - but let THEM tell you, not someone in a video...what the fish you are fishing for tell you is vastly more useful than anything you'll see/hear on YT.  Listen to the fish...make and keep mental notes :th:

TimS

hydraman, b4loran, Otony and 1 other like this

14 mins ago, buddha162 said:

At least we don't have to deal with bergals...at least not as far west as I am. I'll take porgies over bergals any day!

True, most of my spots don’t have many of those, but as soon as I get to a certain area it is like a light switch with those damn things, I never leave that spot with any crabs left lol.

2 hours ago, nateD said:

I've read this a few times, what would cause that, does something with their mouth change throughout the year?

I think that’s an old wives tale. Tog eat whatever they can find all year long. Barnacles, mussels, crabs, etc. 

1 min ago, z-man said:

I think that’s an old wives tale. Tog eat whatever they can find all year long. Barnacles, mussels, crabs, etc. 

I believe there is some truth to what he said...but my feelings as to why they prefer soft baits early in the season has more to do with their decreased metabolism in the colder water. That's why, in my opinion, they'll eat clam but won't touch a crab in the coldest waters. I don't personally think their mouths become unable to eat crabs...they tend to live on mussels, sand dollars and even barnacles when times get touch :)

TimS

1 hour ago, bunker86 said:

I thought green crabs got scarce in the late winter.

More importantly, green crabs aren't native and don't ever leave the rivers/bays or very near shore waters :)  The only time blackfish see green crabs away from the beach/rivers/bays is when fishermen bring them out there.  White crabs are the primary crab forage for blackfish. 

b4loran likes this

14 mins ago, TimS said:

More importantly, green crabs aren't native and don't ever leave the rivers/bays or very near shore waters :)  The only time blackfish see green crabs away from the beach/rivers/bays is when fishermen bring them out there.  White crabs are the primary crab forage for blackfish. 

Umm, by the time you snip off the legs, cut them in half, and peel the shell, what difference does the color make???

Anyone have a trap in the water lately?  Put one in last year mid-Oct and it was filled overnight with white crabs.  Never saw one all year until then.  must have been 30-40 of them.   Was not expecting it.  Any reasoning behind this?  they worked great and hope to have the same next week when I get down.

28 mins ago, TimS said:

Even in LIS? I’ve never seen a white crab around here and nobody sells them.

13 mins ago, brentwayne said:

Anyone have a trap in the water lately?  Put one in last year mid-Oct and it was filled overnight with white crabs.  Never saw one all year until then.  must have been 30-40 of them.   Was not expecting it.  Any reasoning behind this?  they worked great and hope to have the same next week when I get down.

I get all greens in mine in CT