icarussound

Long lasting braid?

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Strike Zone didn’t have the Superbraid. I decided to try suffix 10 lb.

I’m going to start keeping records on the number of hours I use each reel and what braid starts to fail when.

Frankly pretty much every braid I try is decent initially, it’s how long it lasts that is pertinent.

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, EricDice said:

Warning: skip this if you’re one of those lazy people who hate thorough posts. 

”Fireline original” is a dark colored line of four strands fused together. This was originally only in the dark “smoke” color. Berkeley eventually started making Fireline braided lines (like Tracer) which are standard style braid - not fused.  I guess that’s the reason for “original fused” being specified in the name of the “fused superline” sharing the same name.

Fireline crystal is also four strands fused into one line. (If it says crystal then it’s fused.) The different name and the “crystal” part is namely just the color, but some of the tests by Aquaholic here seem to indicate other differences than just the color.

(I think Crystal tested out stronger in the some of the same pound tests, and I think he said Crystal is less likely to fray/split. Either way, I took his advice and primarily use Crystal if I’m using a thin line.)

Whether it’s Fireline original “fused” or the Crystal, they both are four lines fused together unless it says “Ultra 8.” Both also have “Ultra 8” versions where the lines are made with 8 separate strands fused into one line. Eight “carrier” braided lines are all the rage in recent years because the weave can result in a smoother more round shape to the line.

For fused Fireline, as opposed to other standard braids that I also use, I don’t care personally if it’s 4 or 8 strands. I use Fireline because it’s more wiry and resistant to wind knots, etc. This wiry nature is especially important in lower strength lines. Once you get up to the thickness of 30 or 40 lbs test standard braids, which is roughly equivalent to 20 lbs Fireline smoke/crystal, I like braided 8 carriers better than fused Fireline. 

thank u ! 

so i suppose crystal fused and original fused are the same? just the difference in color right

Edited by Tourstage

5 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

Tried most and the one I always go back to is my first one. FIRELINE. Spool up many reels here at the shop and use a glove when using any braid. The original Smoke fireline is black and when I'm finished I end up with a lot of black on my glove. The original smoke feels just like the white crystal making me believe that the smoke is actually white but they added dye to make it black. When I spool up reels I use and orange glove and with smoke it turns black but with crystal there is nothing. Still have one reel with I think is ten pound test Fireline that is about ten years old and it hasn't lost a thing. Best line I have ever used.  

all sing praises for this fireline

i will give it a try but place just selling fireline cyrstal fused and fused original 

i suppose fused original is the better version of crystal fused ? 

Edited by Tourstage

35 mins ago, Tourstage said:

all sing praises for this fireline

i will give it a try but place just selling fireline cyrstal fused and fused original 

i suppose fused original is the better version of crystal fused ? 

It's the same, just the color difference. Same ABS, same S/W. But for some reason, the crystal in 10lbs has much better FG knot strength. 

Give fireline crystal a try and give it some time. You might hate the initial wiry stiffness but wind knot and tip tangle will be a thing of the past. It's the line I put on kids and guest reels. Also give it some time. I hate it back in 1993 but love it since 2010.

I do not use fireline 20 lbs and above. Too stiff and wiry. At the diameter of 20 lbs and above,  traditional 8 strand braid is fine. 

3 hours ago, aquaholik said:

I do not use fireline 20 lbs and above. Too stiff and wiry. At the diameter of 20 lbs and above,  traditional 8 strand braid is fine. 

Same here except my standard braid switchover is at 30 lbs & up. The gap is around 20 lbs braid where I don’t have a choice I like. Your testing showed break strength of 38 lbs for Fireline Crystal in 14 lbs with pr knot.

That’s exactly my fill in for 20 lbs braid. Made my own bobbin and everything. Not that I couldn’t have ordered one but I’m terrible with waiting for things in the mail!

Power pro performs well for me but it is pricey. There is a sporting goods store based in Katy Texas that sells a 300 yd spool for $20.00 and offers free shipping on orders over $25.00

56 mins ago, chris koltz said:

Power pro performs well for me but it is pricey. There is a sporting goods store based in Katy Texas that sells a 300 yd spool for $20.00 and offers free shipping on orders over $25.00

Keep your eyes on Amazon. Every so often you can get a 1200yd spool of 832 for $60.

14 hours ago, aquaholik said:

It's the same, just the color difference. Same ABS, same S/W. But for some reason, the crystal in 10lbs has much better FG knot strength. 

Give fireline crystal a try and give it some time. You might hate the initial wiry stiffness but wind knot and tip tangle will be a thing of the past. It's the line I put on kids and guest reels. Also give it some time. I hate it back in 1993 but love it since 2010.

which line u using for anything beyond 20lbs? traditional 8 strand braid like which brand?

10 hours ago, EricDice said:

Same here except my standard braid switchover is at 30 lbs & up. The gap is around 20 lbs braid where I don’t have a choice I like. Your testing showed break strength of 38 lbs for Fireline Crystal in 14 lbs with pr knot.

That’s exactly my fill in for 20 lbs braid. Made my own bobbin and everything. Not that I couldn’t have ordered one but I’m terrible with waiting for things in the mail!

if im looking for about 20lbs test, just get the fireline 14lbs with a good FG knot?

On 11/6/2018 at 10:47 PM, john1234 said:

Super slick #30 gives me a good balance of strength and casting distance.

Admittedly not a fan of PP due to the original  mystery breakoff issues some 15 years ago, I have since tried the SS in 20lb  and I have to give credit where it is due. That was a fantastic line. The durability and handling properities were outstanding. 

20 mins ago, Tourstage said:

which line u using for anything beyond 20lbs? traditional 8 strand braid like which brand?

Berkley Pro Spec in 20-50 lbs. Bought bulk spools when they had a sale over a year ago. 5 cents a yds for premium braid. 

Edited by aquaholik

9 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Keep your eyes on Amazon. Every so often you can get a 1200yd spool of 832 for $60.

Like Right now, for instance.  30# 1200 yard spool for 58 with free shipping.

25 mins ago, aquaholik said:

Berkley Pro Spec in 20-50 lbs. Bought bulk spools when they had a sale over a year ago. 5 cents a yds for premium braid. 

will try them out

btw have u receive any sample for grand? if not i can send u some to test them out

17 mins ago, DaD0ughB0y said:

Like Right now, for instance.  30# 1200 yard spool for 58 with free shipping.

That is a steal! Last week it was still $85.00.

12 mins ago, Tourstage said:

will try them out

btw have u receive any sample for grand? if not i can send u some to test them out

I've got some coming.