icarussound

Long lasting braid?

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

50 or 65 lb power pro is all I use except for freshwater. I get 4 seasons out of it. Then I spool it on to my conventional reels so its reversed and get another few seasons out of it.

On 11/6/2018 at 8:32 AM, icarussound said:

I've alluded to this in other threads but I thought I would ask directly: personal experience for long lasting braid... by that I mean braid that is fished regularly several times a week and that stays strong for, say a year.

I'm finding braid to be the single most expensive aspect of fishing. I spooled 4 reels with spiderwire ultracast 20#, love it initially, but it lasts a very short period of time before it starts to absorb water, get soft, get frayed, and break. I fish a lot - about 5-6 hours 6-7 days a week, so maybe it's true for all braid. Before I respool my reels I'd like to hear other people's experience. Max rating I use is 30#, minimum is 10#

in my experience there ins't much noticeable difference between the popular brands.  for me brand (between the quality brands all mentioned here so far) and color etc have become less important than checking the "usual suspects" like sierra tp etc for what's on sale and stocking up on what i know i will always need.  

On 06/11/2018 at 9:39 PM, Baccigalup said:

I like fireline.  Lasts long and wears well.   I switched to 20lb for longer casts and have no issues with it.

any particular fireline will you recommend ? there are quite afew different type of fireline. Crystal, tracer, ultra8, fused

whats the difference between these Crystal, tracer, ultra8, fused

I fish 120+ days a year with Power Pro mostly 10#,  20# and occasionally 30#. I get a couple years out of a spool by topping off and flipping. No issues. I can’t see fixing it because it’s not broken. 

1 hour ago, Tourstage said:

any particular fireline will you recommend ? there are quite afew different type of fireline. Crystal, tracer, ultra8, fused

whats the difference between these Crystal, tracer, ultra8, fused

Here is from the horses mouth directly.  I use original or crystal on all my reels.   Never tried the ultra.

Which Superline, When?

Berkley FireLine Fused Crystal—The best fishing line when you need the stealth of a translucent mainline (like mono) plus the benefits of superline.

Berkley FireLine Fused Original—Recent improvements have made this thermally fused powerhouse stronger, more abrasion resistant, smoother handling and longer casting. Ideal for spinning tackle.

Berkley NanoFil—The thinnest, strongest, longest-casting superline on the block. Perfect for a variety of presentations on spinning gear, especially when long-range casts are key.

Berkley Trilene Braid Professional Grade—Strong yet easy to handle, this tournament-grade, radial braid was built for mid- to heavy-duty baitcasting gear.

Warning: skip this if you’re one of those lazy people who hate thorough posts. 

”Fireline original” is a dark colored line of four strands fused together. This was originally only in the dark “smoke” color. Berkeley eventually started making Fireline braided lines (like Tracer) which are standard style braid - not fused.  I guess that’s the reason for “original fused” being specified in the name of the “fused superline” sharing the same name.

Fireline crystal is also four strands fused into one line. (If it says crystal then it’s fused.) The different name and the “crystal” part is namely just the color, but some of the tests by Aquaholic here seem to indicate other differences than just the color.

(I think Crystal tested out stronger in the some of the same pound tests, and I think he said Crystal is less likely to fray/split. Either way, I took his advice and primarily use Crystal if I’m using a thin line.)

Whether it’s Fireline original “fused” or the Crystal, they both are four lines fused together unless it says “Ultra 8.” Both also have “Ultra 8” versions where the lines are made with 8 separate strands fused into one line. Eight “carrier” braided lines are all the rage in recent years because the weave can result in a smoother more round shape to the line.

For fused Fireline, as opposed to other standard braids that I also use, I don’t care personally if it’s 4 or 8 strands. I use Fireline because it’s more wiry and resistant to wind knots, etc. This wiry nature is especially important in lower strength lines. Once you get up to the thickness of 30 or 40 lbs test standard braids, which is roughly equivalent to 20 lbs Fireline smoke/crystal, I like braided 8 carriers better than fused Fireline. 

On 11/7/2018 at 10:28 PM, aquaholik said:

The Vicious No Fade Braid seems to stand up to fading and fraying. But it's S/W ratio is just so so. Try the Sunline XPLASMA  Asegai but I've heard the larger test is a softer line,  not stiff and wiry and tough like the 18 lbs.

Lately Nanofil seems to last longer on my baitcaster compare to my spinning reel. Less twist, less stress on the line. 

Curious as to your guys thoughts on nanofil? Is it good? Is it different then it once was?  I picked up a spool like two years ago for cheap. And it was absolutely the worst fishing line experience I ever had lol. One cast and I threw up a little in my mouth

Guess I should add my two cents as well. I mostly use regular power pro 15lb. Have also tried the field and stream, suffix 832, j braid8, Seaguar, and one more I can’t remember. All in 10-15lb. All performed very similar, none ever lost me a fish or seemed to cause an abnormal amount of winds knots. I will say when I first used super slick 8 I fell in love but stopped using it because it frays so quickly and made me nervous

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nailed it. Fireline crystal in 8 lbs is all I need for casting around the flats and beach here in Tampa. Fireline crystal 10 lb is what I use for light tackle bottom fishing since it's strong as heck and I have no hesitation using it around bridge pilings for sheepshead and the occasional legal size 24 inch grouper. I set the drag at 6-7 lbs near structure and there's not many fish that it won't stop. It is very durable and since it's so strong,  even when worn,  the knot strength is still at least 17-18 lbs.

Fireline original(that includes flame green) in 6-8 lbs has great knot strength. I tested fg knot strength in 3 different spools of Fireline original black in 10 lbs and they all tested the same or less than the 8lbs even though it's ABS is higher. So just use the crystal 4 strands for fireline. It has better knot strength than the fireline 8 strands also. 

Edited by aquaholik

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 mins ago, Rkfool said:

Curious as to your guys thoughts on nanofil? Is it good? Is it different then it once was?  I picked up a spool like two years ago for cheap. And it was absolutely the worst fishing line experience I ever had lol. One cast and I threw up a little in my mouth

I love nanofil. Yes it's not durable but it has fantastic knot strength and it cast a mile with zero wind knot. Love the 14 lbs on my Curado and Daiwa and the 6-10 lbs on spinning gear when I need casting distance and the ability to cut thru current. It behaves like mono but even slicker. Zero stretch and fantastic slack line sensitivity. Must use leader and FG knot on nanofil. Terrible if you use it without a leader or uni uni knot. 

Edited by aquaholik

I would imagine the fireline ultra would probably get more wind knots than the fused.   I have very little problem with wind knots using fused and when I do get them they are easy to undo due to the stiffness of the line.   Trying to get a wind knot out of ppro is next to impossible.  Power pro is one of those you either love it or hate it....I have had nothing but breaks with it so I am the latter.

38 mins ago, aquaholik said:

Nailed it. Fireline crystal in 8 lbs is all I need for casting around the flats and beach here in Tampa. Fireline crystal 10 lb is what I use for light tackle bottom fishing since it's strong as heck and I have no hesitation using it around bridge pilings for sheepshead and the occasional legal size 24 inch grouper. I set the drag at 6-7 lbs near structure and there's not many fish that it won't stop. It is very durable and since it's so strong,  even when worn,  the knot strength is still at least 17-18 lbs.

Fireline original(that includes flame green) in 6-8 lbs has great knot strength. I tested fg knot strength in 3 different spools of Fireline original black in 10 lbs and they all tested the same or less than the 8lbs even though it's ABS is higher. So just use the crystal 4 strands for fireline. It has better knot strength than the fireline 8 strands also. 

Did you ever give the Yozuri Super a try yet? Curious to see you thoughts. I haven't had much issue with it overall and the price is right, although it doesn't to be found of unis to unis but great with fg. I liked crystal and it casted great, but easily got frayed up just running through guides during all day gotcha sessions and on alot of fish. Didn't notice many breakoffs just something unsettling about frayed up line and seemed like I lost a little distance after it got severely worked. 

2 mins ago, dennysnook said:

Did you ever give the Yozuri Super a try yet? Curious to see you thoughts. I haven't had much issue with it overall and the price is right, although it doesn't to be found of unis to unis but great with fg. I liked crystal and it casted great, but easily got frayed up just running through guides during all day gotcha sessions and on alot of fish. Didn't notice many breakoffs just something unsettling about frayed up line and seemed like I lost a little distance after it got severely worked. 

No since they don't make it in 10 lbs and doesn't come in spool larger than 300 yds. It's has the S/W ratio of Maxcuatro but at a bargain basement price per yds for sure. I absolutely love the 10lbs crystal for sheepshead and light tackle bottom fishing with a low gear Stradic FK 4000 with power knob and a MH 7ft rod. I need to have ray build me some 7ft MH rod that has the power of a Loomis Pro Blue to pair with a Spheros 6000.20190204_093857.jpg.e46c425af8f5624c3887dae0f35d70a9.jpg20190101_190823.jpg.5948b7df25ad1eab45130421796f762b.jpg20190206_201420.jpg.e0f59def66620a6fec587e89595d1067.jpg20180117_100447.jpg.0c20e6b9ebfbaf780813d76da99797f8.jpg

34 mins ago, aquaholik said:

No since they don't make it in 10 lbs and doesn't come in spool larger than 300 yds. It's has the S/W ratio of Maxcuatro but at a bargain basement price per yds for sure. I absolutely love the 10lbs crystal for sheepshead and light tackle bottom fishing with a low gear Stradic FK 4000 with power knob and a MH 7ft rod. I need to have ray build me some 7ft MH rod that has the power of a Loomis Pro Blue to pair with a Spheros 6000.20190204_093857.jpg.e46c425af8f5624c3887dae0f35d70a9.jpg20190101_190823.jpg.5948b7df25ad1eab45130421796f762b.jpg20190206_201420.jpg.e0f59def66620a6fec587e89595d1067.jpg20180117_100447.jpg.0c20e6b9ebfbaf780813d76da99797f8.jpg

It comes in 10lb I guess just not in the bulk spools evidently. Swear I saw a bulk spool at the local shop in 10lb the other day so have to check on it to see if they released. I went to 20lb on alot of my small reels because this stuff seems thin and get good distance. I have literally struggled to break on snagged bottom at times, and at the price I get it for gunna keep using it until I find flaw enough to try something else. Ray just built me a Blackhole 703M with carbon fiber grips which has hella power for a 8.9oz total build weight. 7'3"

20190207_221328.jpg.6bd3f9eedbcaad85413acb9ec56b3bc3.jpg20190207_221425.jpg.d09aea7e8171b55666c48faa7b072c7d.jpg

Tried most and the one I always go back to is my first one. FIRELINE. Spool up many reels here at the shop and use a glove when using any braid. The original Smoke fireline is black and when I'm finished I end up with a lot of black on my glove. The original smoke feels just like the white crystal making me believe that the smoke is actually white but they added dye to make it black. When I spool up reels I use and orange glove and with smoke it turns black but with crystal there is nothing. Still have one reel with I think is ten pound test Fireline that is about ten years old and it hasn't lost a thing. Best line I have ever used.