icarussound

Long lasting braid?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

To have a longer lasting braid, I’d say you want something without a coating. Spiderwire wears out so quickly primarily because there’s a surface coating that makes it seem slick and usable when it’s new. 

Therefore, I would guess that standard non-coated braid should last longest. For me, I’m not a big fan of standard weave braids. I like power pro slick okay in 30 and I love the 40 lbs. No wind knots, smooth, almost gives me a chub. 

In 30 lbs and up, I am planning to try my luck with Fins, Suffix 832, and I’ve heard nice reviews of a few sunline braids. Below 30 lbs, I’m currently only using fireline or fireline crystal. 

Fireline gets its usability from being multiple strands of strong fibers fused into one line. Seems to hold up well, but you’ll find some guys who have found their fireline & fireline crystal all frayed & swoll up - like a wool sweater made love to a cheese grater. 

Heres a thought: since you log so many hours, put different choices of brand/style of similar test on each reel and do side by side comparisons and then rotate to a new batch of another lbs test. Make a video, put it on YouTube. Get Scooby-Doo (Tackle Advisors) to sub your channel! 

Good luck!

Edited by EricDice
it’s still too long but it was longer

10 hours ago, richyp_ said:

I've been using Jerry Brown for about 3 years now, 0 complaints. Longest I recall having it on a reel is about a year, only reason I changed it was because it was getting a little low on the spool. 

It's a little pricey, but it's worth the money IMO.

I can second this JB recommendation. 0 complaints after years of using the same spool.

I can also suggest Tufline XP. I have been using it just as long as Jerry Brown and I think it might be slightly better. No visible fraying AND it casts great. 

I have multiple reels spooled with Sufix 832 that has been going strong for several years of heavy fishing, haven't even flipped the line yet.

I have tried other lines, but few lines are as durable or reliable as 832 is, especially overtime.

I like suffix in 30-40, didn’t like 20, hated 10. The ten was really limp and had tons of wind knots and fraying. The 20 was on a caster and could have been me, but lots of digging which would hang up on the cast causing a backlash. 30 has been great on caster and spinning 

The Vicious No Fade Braid seems to stand up to fading and fraying. But it's S/W ratio is just so so. Try the Sunline XPLASMA  Asegai but I've heard the larger test is a softer line,  not stiff and wiry and tough like the 18 lbs.

Lately Nanofil seems to last longer on my baitcaster compare to my spinning reel. Less twist, less stress on the line. 

Edited by aquaholik

5 hours ago, G8trwood said:

I like suffix in 30-40, didn’t like 20, hated 10. The ten was really limp and had tons of wind knots and fraying. The 20 was on a caster and could have been me, but lots of digging which would hang up on the cast causing a backlash. 30 has been great on caster and spinning 

Digging is easily solved by making sure you spool the line tight enough from the start. I've never had trouble with any braided line digging into itself, it just needs to be spooled tight enough.

On 11/6/2018 at 0:40 PM, icarussound said:

I had forgotten about FireWire, I remember not liking it much for long casting off the beach but I probably used a higher test than I needed back then. Looks like the 14 lb crystal might be a decent test case to replace ultracast 20.

thanks for the info

This is spooled on all my rods (14 lb. Ultra Crystal)............superb and strong casting line.............:th:

Edited by yogiiiboy

13 hours ago, ChasingTales said:

@scoobydoo try the Berkeley  x9  it's like 32$ for 330yrd. For far it hasn't  been hold water casts nicely.

Thanks!  When it first dropped I immediately hit up Aquaholik and wouldn't ya know it..he already had it...I hoped to hear it was like fins 40g but he said it wasn't.  

The sheathed fins 40g is sort of wirey and I love that about it.

Even after use

What's been your experience?

I'm going to be fishing this new Finatic braid the company offered to send me as well as some J braid grande.  So for now I'm pretty good with the stretch stuff....

Gotta admit....I'm not into looks...but that finatic stuff while wildly expensive looks cool lolol...who knows if it's any good.

And the grand J braid should be pretty sweet  

13 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Thanks!  When it first dropped I immediately hit up Aquaholik and wouldn't ya know it..he already had it...I hoped to hear it was like fins 40g but he said it wasn't.  

The sheathed fins 40g is sort of wirey and I love that about it.

Even after use

What's been your experience?

I'm going to be fishing this new Finatic braid the company offered to send me as well as some J braid grande.  So for now I'm pretty good with the stretch stuff....

Gotta admit....I'm not into looks...but that finatic stuff while wildly expensive looks cool lolol...who knows if it's any good.

And the grand J braid should be pretty sweet  

I like 40g in 25# but I dont like the 45# only thing is that it kinks twists and feels like a little knot but come right out. The P-line TCB8 has the 40g feel but that feeling sorta goes  away after it breaks  it but I still like it.  Both  hold up well so far not sure what I like better some goes for xplasma  in 18# kinda like 40g but after it breaks down it losses  that feel not sure it holds up as well after break down going to give it 1 more season before I strip it off and send to aqua to do a comparison  of worked to new