icarussound

Long lasting braid?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I've alluded to this in other threads but I thought I would ask directly: personal experience for long lasting braid... by that I mean braid that is fished regularly several times a week and that stays strong for, say a year.

I'm finding braid to be the single most expensive aspect of fishing. I spooled 4 reels with spiderwire ultracast 20#, love it initially, but it lasts a very short period of time before it starts to absorb water, get soft, get frayed, and break. I fish a lot - about 5-6 hours 6-7 days a week, so maybe it's true for all braid. Before I respool my reels I'd like to hear other people's experience. Max rating I use is 30#, minimum is 10#

Posted (edited) · Report post

Suffix 832 . . . get at least a year and then turn it around for another year.  Currently have J braid on a reel and like it so far.

Of course, I rotate through several rods . . . so not using same outfit each time.

Edited by cartopper
Beastly Backlash and finatic like this

I've been fishing often for the past 6 decades.  Back then all spin fishing line was mono.  When Fireline came out I gave it a try.  Within the year all my rods were rigged with Fireline.  I get 2-4 years out of a spooling of Fireline... then I turn it around and got a few more years.  So I really like braids.

jeffapeikin likes this

J braid .. cheaper then the rest and just as good imo .. very limp braid though so not for everyone I guess ... I would get 150m spool and slap on a top shot and give it a try before putting 300m on ... it like 10$ for 150m spool 

I had forgotten about FireWire, I remember not liking it much for long casting off the beach but I probably used a higher test than I needed back then. Looks like the 14 lb crystal might be a decent test case to replace ultracast 20.

thanks for the info

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's all made from the same stuff, Spectra or Dyneema, so I would think that rather than just the brand it would make sense that the thicker, the more strands, the tougher ??

The old fused Fireline seems to last nearly forever, the braided ones not as long

Edited by Sudsy

I've been using Jerry Brown for about 3 years now, 0 complaints. Longest I recall having it on a reel is about a year, only reason I changed it was because it was getting a little low on the spool. 

It's a little pricey, but it's worth the money IMO.

7 hours ago, icarussound said:

I've alluded to this in other threads but I thought I would ask directly: personal experience for long lasting braid... by that I mean braid that is fished regularly several times a week and that stays strong for, say a year.

I'm finding braid to be the single most expensive aspect of fishing. I spooled 4 reels with spiderwire ultracast 20#, love it initially, but it lasts a very short period of time before it starts to absorb water, get soft, get frayed, and break. I fish a lot - about 5-6 hours 6-7 days a week, so maybe it's true for all braid. Before I respool my reels I'd like to hear other people's experience. Max rating I use is 30#, minimum is 10#

Dude I feel your pain.

Back when sufix performance was the go to braid over power pro..I found myself respooling monthly in the surf since it started holding so much water.

Berkley tracer was the only one at the time that didn't get wet ragged.

Now........today.....there really aren't any improvements.  

So i just buy the cheapest quality line i can get.   And replace it as needed.  J braid is under 20 bucks for 300 yards and it holds up well.  And it hasn't let me down once out of the miles I've used in fw and salt.

Fireline ultra 8 is proving to be the best of all worlds.   It takes hundreds of casts even in the surf to break in. 

And I haven't found it to hold water. 

But I don't know how much more of it i'll buy at 30-40$ per spool.

Not sure if the new j braid or power pro v 2 is any different.

Or if Maxxima 8 braid in heavier tests is any better than the 10lb i've used. 

I'd say buy fins 40g as it's truly the only line that has been leaps and bounds better but I've never used the heavier tests.....and I've witnessed first hand some major de-sheathing issues  and I don't feel comforable recomending it without saying buyer beware.   My personal experience with the 5lb test even though they lie about the diameter on it as it's 2x the package label.  Is that after 2 hard use season of thousands and thousands of casts...it's like new.  Never gets water logged and never a fray.  And out cast everything i've used other than gliss and nanofil