TLap21

Guide backwards?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Sometimes builders do that on purpose.  They think it reduces line snagging on guides. Check why he did it that way.  Should have asked you first.

I used that Fuji in a #16 for a fly rod stripper as a test - but installed properly.  Took it off because made no difference in line wrap.

Herb

Looks to me like the 16 is on the right way and the 25 is backwards.  They do this a lot on surf rods for the stripper guide (the 25) to keep the line or a shock leader knot from catching on the guide feet.  Personally I don't think it makes a difference one way or the other and it won't affect the way the rod casts the way it is, it just looks funky. 

Are the other guides out to the tip the same direction as the 16?  If so the guides are on correctly for a spinning reel.  What One Gunner said.

If it were conventional I would put all guides on the same as the 16.

Fuji makes three REVERSE reduction guides for KR Concept. They are followed by two specially designed 10 and 12 KW M guides to complete the train. The RV25, RV20 and RV16 should be wrapped with the single leg facing the reel. Otherwise, the ring is leaning toward the reel. Not good. The KW-M's face as normal.

Thanks guys. That’s what I thought, but wanted to make sure before I went back. Everything else looks good besides the 16. 

Much appreciated. 

The builder will have to take off the guide, clean up the area, rewrap the new glue. Not sure if the guide spacing will need to be change, it's hard to totally clean up a previous glued spot on a glossy blank, mostly likely it will be covered it up in the new wrap under new epoxy.  Then again, I am not a pro, maybe a pro will chime in. 

2 mins ago, Billy 40 said:

YOu get what you pay for - both with getting a rod built, and asking for info on the internet

Is this directed at me?  If so, I went to one of the most reputable builders in the area,  if not the most.  

Added:  And it certainly wasn't cheap, so....

Edited by TLap21

DOn't know who builkt it, nor do I care. There are a lot of reputable builders that are highly recommended - who are not very knowledgeable, not very good at what they do, and hack it up. BUt if people say they are good, they must be good. Drew "Wow"'d because of the answers you recieved from people who don't know anything about RV's, but because it doesn't cost anything to answer, they did. And contradicted th e only person who posted in here who actually knew what he was talking about.

Of course it was expensive, you have $250 worth of guides on a rod that was built by someone who took your money and did something they've never done on a rod before, and if they did they screwed up pretty badly.

I understood Drew's "Wow" comment, and agree with you there.  

This is my 6th rod from them and all others have been great, but this is bad, agreed.  

And sadly, it's over $250 for the guides! :laugh: