sbcbmx112

Is there a secret to luring contractors?

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

The lady and I recently took a step up in the housing department (or so we thought).  The only way we could afford a plot larger than my thumb was to buy a place that needed love.  We found one that had been on the market for a bit: worst house on the best block kinda deal.  No seemingly irreparable issues.  Now we are looking at a leak which required a few small buckets placed underneath during the recent nor'easter.  It had not shown active water before and has not since despite rains.  This smallish section of roof appears older (definitely more worn) than the rest and is home to a chimney and two skylights.

We are now onto our fifth unsuccessful roofing estimate.  That is to say we have had five roofers out for estimates and have yet to receive the promised estimate from a single one.  Some are 10 days overdue and the latest will officially be late in two hours.  The first guy dodged my first followup call and never returned the voicemail.  I'm starting to lose hope that we'll ever get an estimate from anyone, let alone someone who appears capable.

Is there a conspiracy against us?  Is this par for the course?  Is there something about this job they're afraid of/don't want?  The people we've had out so far range from the biggest names in the area to some much smaller operations with all sound reviews.  I'm not sure why no one seems to want to take the job.

Edited by sbcbmx112

The problem, in my area at least, seems to be an over abundance of work. I know for me getting proposals out in a timely fashion has suffered a bit as there is just so much on site work to do during the day. That, and doing estimates suck.

Just stay on top of these guys without being a complete pest. Eventually you'll get some pricing.

It could be that either it is too small of a job and they don’t want to mess with it or it will be more work than they feel like doing and they don’t want to mess with it. Unfortunately that’s how it goes, but if you keep calling companies you’ll find someone who’s hungry and will take it on. You can always tell the first contractors to pound sand because they took too long. 

Can you get up there and take pics of the structure and underside near where the water is coming in? 

Roofing is the most overpriced job there is, Go get you a book by all the tools and the shingles , Go get you a book by all the tools and the shingles do-it-yourself save 10 grand do-it-yourself save 10 g

3 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

Roofing is the most overpriced job there is, Go get you a book by all the tools and the shingles , Go get you a book by all the tools and the shingles do-it-yourself save 10 grand do-it-yourself save 10 g

Are you stroking out bud? Do you smell burning chicken feathers or have an uncontrollable desire to vote dem today? 

Edited by chessie_yaker

2 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

Are you stroking out bud? Do you smell burning chicken feathers or have an uncontrollable desire to vote dem today? 

He got into Jimbo's goofball stash....

2 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

James clyburn is my man!

Roofers hate skylights and chimneys.

Reflashing and sealing them can be a real pain, time consuming, and prone to failure. That means you will be pestering them to come back, and repair it under warranty...

Plus, with an existing leak, they do not know what they are getting into time and material wise...tough to bid, and not lose their shirts.

Look at CL, and a local app called Next Door for local to you contractors.

I had the very same problem this past summer. Developed a small leak right around the time I was in and out of the hospital with my surgeries. If it wasn't for all that, I'd have fixed it myself. I must have contacted 7-8 roofing contractors. Most were no shows, didn't show when they said they would and way over priced. It seemed to me that they lost interest when they saw that it was a relatively small job. 

There's a guy that rents a room next door that works with contractors. He says to me, "I work on roofs all the time. I'll fix it for you". I told him where I suspected the leak was coming from. "No, no. It's right here".  Ok, have at it. Of course he was wrong, and the work he did looked like **** and it still leaked. I had a buddy come over and fix it for me.

It's so hard to blindly hire a contractor for this type of work.

5 mins ago, MickAff said:

He got into Jimbo's goofball stash....

Yep and stuck in a loop. Good call

Hey Red you should...

6 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

James clyburn is my man!

...get some more and go talk to a tree until at least 8pm

You refer to quotes being 10 days late and 2 hours late, are you giving contractors deadlines as for when there quotes are due? Five roofers showed up but never quoted, seems like maybe you were trying to tell them how to fix it cheaply and none took the bait? A roofer doesn't want to come and do patchwork type work, if it leaks you'll be all over them, so they probably thought a whole new roof or you can try fixing it yourself. 

I know some contractors are independent but if 5 showed and you didn't get a quote, something tells me there is something more going on. Contractors don't waste time showing for estimates, at worst they would give you a price so high you wouldn't be interested.  

Edited by Highlander1