Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dbjpb

Help my kayak is sinking

33 posts in this topic

My son failed to check his drain plug in a SOT and sank. My wife's glass SOT developed a crack and sank. Both luckily in a lake in summer. Even if they don't sink to the bottom they get too unstable. In my Milo I snaked empty float bags fore & aft, put on extra long inflation tubes and use those. Removes hull deformations and keeps it upright. NRS size large is best, but you need to make sure any screws or fasteners that can poke and puncture are covered with a piece of foam or other padding.

I agree with you 100% . Anything that floats can sink . Even if it does not sink it will become unusable unless you are able to get the water out of it.  It is almost impossible to paddle a kayak or canoe that is full of water. 

A PLB functions just like an EPIRB once deployed.  The main difference is that an EPIRB deploys automatically when your boat sinks while a PLB must be manually deployed (it won't go off if it get's wet)

It's one time use and it does have test buttons to validate that it's working without calling for help.  You can also use it on land or anywhere, so if you do anything in the upland back country it's an added safety measure there as well.  The battery is guaranteed for 5 years and I think you can send it in for a replacement.

Yes, I carry all 3 on my PFD along with a blunt tip emergency knife.  None of it interferes with me fishing or pedaling.  The phone is in a thin case, on the inside of the PFD so no issue there.  The PLB and Radio do add a bit of bulk on the outside and if they were to prevent me from reentry, I can easily take them off if need be.  I would rather have a been of extra stuff on me then it in the kayak if I were separated from it.

When I  fished with a wet suit I did too. Not sure they would work welll with a dry suit. Did you ever try to swim in a dry suit. No bueno .

Thought that I could contribute to this thread with a few pictures of my internal flotation.

I try to keep my hull space functional while still trying to fill up all the dead space and to keep stored gear from shifting. I also try to fully inflate my dry bags for additional flotation.

I still have a pump as I believe it is a flotation/pump combo that helps keep you out of trouble when the hull becomes swamped.

P5290005_zps7252a3b4.jpg

P5290011_zpsd256f042.jpg

P7040053_zps6a8564b9.jpg

P7040057_zps25063a47.jpg

How difficult is it to remove all that when you clean out the water from your trip? Even on a calm day I may have a sponge full of salt water that needs to come out otherwise it starts to stink.

15 hours ago, HydroSpider said:

Thought that I could contribute to this thread with a few pictures of my internal flotation.

I try to keep my hull space functional while still trying to fill up all the dead space and to keep stored gear from shifting. I also try to fully inflate my dry bags for additional flotation.

I still have a pump as I believe it is a flotation/pump combo that helps keep you out of trouble when the hull becomes swamped.

P5290005_zps7252a3b4.jpg

P5290011_zpsd256f042.jpg

P7040053_zps6a8564b9.jpg

P7040057_zps25063a47.jpg

Like it!   Estimated cost on the noodles?   Guessing $18.53/kayak.    

That's using your noodle! I stuff a couple vintage type II orange Mae West PDFs in a corner. If someone forgets theirs, it becomes a loaner.

14 hours ago, RA66 said:

How difficult is it to remove all that when you clean out the water from your trip? Even on a calm day I may have a sponge full of salt water that needs to come out otherwise it starts to stink.

Not really difficult but there is some extra clean up/drying that needs to happen.

It all kind of depends on how I have the flotation arranged for that particular boat. I velcro the key foundation pieces to the hull and the smaller supportive parts are just tightly fitted into place.  I am careful to leave dead space around the drain hole and most of the time it is easy to wash and drain with most of the flotation in place. After the rinse I keep all the hatches open to air to prevent that swamp smell and funk. If a boat is going to be on the rack for some time, I pull out all the smaller support pieces and leave the foundation. Not having all of it fixed also allows me to remove parts to allow for more gear storage if needed.

Flylikabird,

Cost varies but it is more than your very specific estimate.

I believe my Jackson Coosa takes around 32 pool noodles with room for dry bags.

I have a few new boats on the way and ill keep track of how many each boat takes and $.

Solid core and larger diameters are more expensive. I try to look for good deals and then stock up.

Here is another example of functional flotation.

P6250005.JPG

Edited by HydroSpider

For those who plan on adding flotation for the first time or who might already be using PFDs or random free floating flotation, it is wise to stuff them in a balanced way and try to create bulkheads. If all of the flotation is in one end of the boat or shifts during the swamping, you will likely end up with a Cleo's Needle scenario. While there is a solution for this situation, it is tough to pull off, even without fishing gear and with a skilled partner.

Here's 2 shots of Cleo's Needle in effect from a quick web search.

IMG_0020.jpg_thumb.jpeg

acnCHQul.jpg

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post links to commercial sites, we don’t allow it