jetty42

Monmouth Beach - New Wall / Potential Parking & Access Issues

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

As some of you are likely aware, the Army Corp. of Engineer's is currently constructing a new Sea Wall at the Municipal Pavilion, approximately 30 yards East of the Existing Seawall.

This work has been planned for a number of years and residents/frequent visitors are generally aware of the disruption.

Nevertheless, the town apparently has other construction plans that have largely been authorized in secret.

As best as most interested parties can tell, the borough has authorized the construction of an "observation deck".

Since the deck is being financed by the town (not the Army Corp.), there is growing interest as to the what, why, and how are far as the fiscal costs.

Fiscal costs aside, for non-residents, this project may be worth paying attention to since:

• Only a few people have seen the plans (the mayor does not have interest in being transparent.)
  • There are potential impacts on access and parking for non-residents.
  • The mayor is reliably dense enough to try to push through a new project that will impede access / disrupt parking / cost a fortune / violate some sort of Federal and/or State law.

Additional background can be found here.

http://tworivertimes.com/observation-deck-planned-in-monmouth-beach/

Residents and non-residents are encouraged to attend the Borough Meeting on November 20th at 6:PM.

Finally, a local email encouraging attendance is circulating (highlights below.)

-Most recently the $1.4M project to build an observation deck on top of the new sea wall at the Pavilion was put out to bid and bids are due November 8th
—-No one in town has seen any plans or notices related to this significant project
—-The only people in town that knew about it were the Mayor and T&M Associates, not even Commissioner Dave Stickle knew about it despite his attempts to bring this up for discussion
—-The only disclosure on the project was in the fine print classifieds of the Asbury Park Press (the legally required bare minimum)
—-This project has not been discussed at borough hall meetings 
—-This will be funded by taxpayer money, yet we don’t have funds to fix the flooding issues
—-T&M has what appears to be exclusivity on all town projects, including the outsourced function of permitting and related responsibilities and submitted the bid publicly
—-There are other possible conflict-free, cost-effective alternatives for this function in town
—-If you have access to the Monmouth Beach community site on Facebook check out my post with the above TRT article and the 138 comments from members expressing grief over the situation

Please spread the word and attend the meeting on November 20th. Ask questions about the Pavilion and its alternatives. Probe the Mayor on why there has not been great disclosure on this and other projects. Inquire why T&M has a lock on all projects and whether there are more independent and cost-effective alternatives. Suggest agendas and minutes for meetings, and more convenient meeting times so more people can participate. ASK WHY...!

cleardot.gif

I guess that's why the fall fling wasn't at little Monmouth this year....i saw the construction. I saw it there and at Sea Bright....i hope access doesn't become as scarce as it is north of the Sea Bright Municipal Beach....I've never seen what's on the other other side of that seawall between Sandy Hook and Sea Bright Municipal

That is some seawall they are building. womder when its done what it will look like. MB is heading toward SB, doing all they can to keep the riff raff of Rumson off their beach. 

Google earth says sand is on the other side of the sea wall heading toward Sandy Hook. Not that most people will ever see that to confirm that.

Here's an email i just got on related to this subject... included the final plans too.

Dear Residents,

On August 10, 2018, we forwarded an email through GovOnline to the Borough residents regarding the seawall project.  As you may recall, the construction of the seawall was mandated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).  FEMA required that a continuous seawall link be provided from Sandy Hook to the south near the Long Branch border.  The seawall construction project is being administered through and overseen by the NJDEP Division of Coastal Engineering (DCE), who awarded a contract to J. Fletcher Creamer & Son, Inc. in September 2017. This project is intended to bolster the existing seawall and fill the historic 650 linear foot gap at the Monmouth Beach Bathing Pavilion to create the mandated unified, contiguous shore protection structure throughout Sea Bright and Monmouth Beach.  FEMA and NJDEP believe this will act as the last line of defense from the Atlantic Ocean.   

Discussions began in 2015 to determine how to mitigate the obstructed ocean view and access limitations as a result of the seawall construction.  The Commissioners determined at that time to apply to the NJ DEP Land Use Division for a Coastal Area Facility Review Act (CAFRA) Permit to allow the Borough to expand and elevate the existing timber Pavilion deck.  This decision was made so that our residents, visitors and patrons of the Bathing Pavilion could continue to enjoy the same wonderful view of the Atlantic Ocean.  In February 2016, the NJ DEP reviewed the Borough’s application for completeness and the application was published in the NJ DEP’s bulletin on

February 17, 2016.  A Notice was sent to property owners within 200 feet of the Bathing Pavilion on February 10, 2016.  In addition, a legal ad was published in the Asbury Park Press. The CAFRA permit to expand and elevate the Pavilion deck was issued on April 1, 2016.  This permit included permission to use the contractor’s staging area for materials for the seawall construction as a future gravel parking lot after the project is completed.

In order to fund the permitted deck, Ordinance O-10B-16 was introduced on June 29, 2016 and adopted, after a Public Hearing, on July 26, 2016 at the Borough’s regularly scheduled meeting. 

Although work has been ongoing in Sea Bright for over a year, the construction of the Monmouth Beach seawall began on September 10, 2018 as requested by the Mayor and Commissioners to ensure that construction would not adversely impact the 2018 Summer Season.  Work has been primarily focused in the area adjacent to the Bathing Pavilion.  To date, the contractor has completed the initial excavation.  The dewatering process is ongoing.  The contractor is currently working south to north with respect to the actual seawall construction.  Construction of the emergency vehicle cross over is expected to begin in the next week.  Unfortunately, the weather conditions this fall have presented some challenges and sand has eroded from the stockpiles during the October 26, 2018 Nor’easter, however, the work remains on schedule.

The existing seawall at both the north and south ends of the Bathing Pavilion property are located approximately 60 feet east of the existing north parking lot.  When the new seawall is constructed, to “fill in the 60 foot gap”, there will be an approximate 15,000 square foot area north of the existing deck that the NJDEP DCE’s contractor will be using as a materials staging area.  As noted above, once construction is complete, this gravel staging area will remain and will be used to provide some additional parking. 

On November 8, 2018, the Mayor and Commissioners received bids for the construction of the new elevated deck which will continue to allow for the beautiful views of the Atlantic Ocean that we currently enjoy.   This new deck will run the length of the existing deck (approximately 187 LF) and will be approximately 40 feet in width.  The expanded deck will be elevated to Elevation 19.25 to provide access over the top the new seawall to the beach.    A new shade structure will be constructed at the south end of the expanded elevated deck.   Bids are under review by the Borough Attorney.  We hope to award a contract for the deck so that the work can be complete in time for Memorial Day Weekend 2019.  A copy of the layout plan for the new deck is available on the Borough’s website: https://monmouthbeach.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Const-Pln-20181019-FINAL-PLANS.pdf.

The Commissioners and I would like to thank you for your continued cooperation during the project.  If you have any questions or would like additional information please contact Borough Administrator, Judy Wilson at 732-229-2204 ex 1000, jwilson@monmouthbeach.org, or the NJDEP Project Engineer, Rob VonBriel, at (732) 255-0871,

Robert.vonbriel@dep.nj.gov.

Sincerely,

Mayor Sue Howard

Commissioner Jim Cunniff

Commissioner Dave Stickle

MB-FINAL-PLANS.jpg

I love Sea Bright's "Public Access" stairs. Where the hell are you supposed to park? There is one small lot before the bridge, but others have no parking areas. Probably won't be able to park at the Cultural center in MB either.

57 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

You can still walk on the beach from sea bright municipal to SH if you wanted to, the sea wall is private, nobody can own the ocean though

The Sea Wall has never been private, that's why all the decks built up there have pass thoughs

1 hour ago, HighEndHooker said:

You can still walk on the beach from sea bright municipal to SH if you wanted to, the sea wall is private, nobody can own the ocean though

1 hour ago, fdhog said:

I love Sea Bright's "Public Access" stairs. Where the hell are you supposed to park? There is one small lot before the bridge, but others have no parking areas. Probably won't be able to park at the Cultural center in MB either.

You guys know these plans are for monmouth beach bathing pavilion right? Access is currently restricted at the north side of the lot for staging construction stuff, but when it's all said and done we're supposed to get approx 15000sq more parking according to the latest communication... we'll see. 

On 11/16/2018 at 6:27 PM, Sudsy said:

The Sea Wall has never been private, that's why all the decks built up there have pass thoughs

Sudsy. When i drive up and down this stretch all the time i wonder how people can build a deck on the seawall and gate it off.  Isnt the seawall govt property.  How do they own the rights to build on the wall.  Total scam

On 11/16/2018 at 7:30 PM, Jon I said:

You guys know these plans are for monmouth beach bathing pavilion right? Access is currently restricted at the north side of the lot for staging construction stuff, but when it's all said and done we're supposed to get approx 15000sq more parking according to the latest communication... we'll see. 

You're probably going to have to be a resident of MB to park. 

13 hours ago, Goldy said:

Sudsy. When i drive up and down this stretch all the time i wonder how people can build a deck on the seawall and gate it off.  Isnt the seawall govt property.  How do they own the rights to build on the wall.  Total scam

Yes pretty much

But they don't bother us so we don't bother them

The gates may be private but the "wall" is not. As stated the beach is wide open all through out there. Two things I don't understand, the great sea wall is a million feet from the beach for the most part, how often does the water get danger close? Secondly, doesn't flooding usually come from the back side? What's being done to rectify that?

On 11/5/2018 at 7:03 PM, Frugal Fisherman said:

I guess that's why the fall fling wasn't at little Monmouth this year....i saw the construction. I saw it there and at Sea Bright....i hope access doesn't become as scarce as it is north of the Sea Bright Municipal Beach....I've never seen what's on the other other side of that seawall between Sandy Hook and Sea Bright Municipal

Frugal,  

there are open to the public Stairs and platforms between 

Ship Ahoy and Sandy Hook.   Parking is at a preimum, but you can park in Sea Bright and a few of the streets in the 1/2 mile+ of Ocean Avenue.

Early birds get the parking spots. The beach stretch you we are talking about has been refreshed with new sand twice.  Most of the structure is buried.  There is plenty of parking in the Spring and Fall and winter on Sandy Hook.  Most of the ocean side of the Hook's 6 miles is free of Refreshment.

22 hours ago, RJ said:

Most of the ocean side of the Hook's 6 miles is free of Refreshment.

Sort of, the sand traveling north from the replenished beaches is effectively the same as replenishment (but allowing for a little bit more soft structure)