Chunkah

Cement / Hardi Board Fastening Question

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

So I am looking at a bathroom remodel and the floor is concrete slab that is pretty well out of level. The room is 9' x 9' and the front right corner of the room is about 1 1/2" - 2" out of level. The client doesn't want an unlevel floor and my mason feels it will be better if I install 1/2" Hardi board to the floor before he skims the floor out level with concrete (then a finishing of floor leveler). So my plan is to use Laticrete 254 mortar to lay the cement board but I also want to fasten it to the slab. The mason suggested drilling holes then using mushroom anchors to secure things. Sound plausible? Our apprehension is that the existing slab has been sealed and getting something to stick directly to it, whether it be concrete or the mortar under the Hardi board, may end up coming loose over time...not something we want. What say you?

Thanks

The homeowner told me it was, plus what is visible has a sheen to it. Not sure what is under the VCT tile in terms of sealer, but the homeowner thinks it is sealed.

I think by doing the hardie you will only wind up thinning out your upper mud and weakening it . If you do a mud job over the old slab in one piece I don't think it would move much . In fact old mud bathroom floors were poured on tar paper over the subfloor . 

One solid pour with wire mesh .

18 mins ago, giant basshole said:

I think by doing the hardie you will only wind up thinning out your upper mud and weakening it . If you do a mud job over the old slab in one piece I don't think it would move much . In fact old mud bathroom floors were poured on tar paper over the subfloor . 

One solid pour with wire mesh .

He's right ^^^ on the old way.

I would take grinder and score the floor in a wicked grid, then "pour" or pack the floor.

Might want to have another mason or tile guy give you a quote,,,, Sounds to me like he wanted an easy way out.

How much of a lift are you going to have in the doorway? Is it level under the doorway? If not, you will have to play games with the transition

Yeah, gonna have to add a pretty thick threshold to hide the rise at the door....you're going to have a small step up coming in. 

This mason is new to me but I have worked alongside him on another project and he is definitely good at what he does. I think if anything he is (as am I most likely) over thinking it. My other mason is a great guy but he does huge commercial jobs and is hard to get a hold of, so this is the new guy.

A good mason is hard to find....sounds like a great short story!

ahhhh the old "jersey mud job".  i had to tear one of them out on my last house over a subfloor, what a nightmare

2011-11-28 10 29 42 (2).JPG

Edited by gobigblue

With an air chisel you can prep a lotta concrete in a short time. I know hardi works well under wall tile but I would use Durock or Wonderboard if your using it under floor leveler. Like others said, doing the whole floor is best if you have the head room for it with door frames, toilet flanges ect.