LateralLineSider

Jiggy hook help

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Looking to match this yellow/white jiggy.  First attempt worked except the pictured Gamakatsu hooks are still too short of a shank.  I understand there may be a Tiemco out there but I’m coming up empty.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

20379508-DB9D-428E-AF42-B90B6BDAFD3B.jpeg

I believe the original jiggy recipe called for a Tiemco 911s - as you pointed out but these are discontinued.  I have used the Mustad 34011 and the 34007 as suitable alternatives.  Given the 34011 is longer, I suspect that may match up better to the jiggy in your photo.  I'm not sure if even the 34011 is available on the market today as is - I believe they have repackaged it as the Signature Series hook Signature S74DT-34011 hook maybe?

Regardless, I was pretty stoked to see Jiggy heads available in the Hareline catalog.

On 11/5/2018 at 4:43 PM, M. saxatilis said:

I believe the original jiggy recipe called for a Tiemco 911s - as you pointed out but these are discontinued.  I have used the Mustad 34011 and the 34007 as suitable alternatives.  Given the 34011 is longer, I suspect that may match up better to the jiggy in your photo.  I'm not sure if even the 34011 is available on the market today as is - I believe they have repackaged it as the Signature Series hook Signature S74DT-34011 hook maybe?

Regardless, I was pretty stoked to see Jiggy heads available in the Hareline catalog.

Hey, the mentioned mustads look to be the answer, thanks!  If that 1/0 gamakatsu was the right size bend you think the mustads will also be a 1/0?  You think they run generally run big or small?  Thanks again. 

I think a 1/0 or 2/0 Mustad would be fine for this application.  Hard to say in reality though, from what I've seen on hook equivalency charts, there is no Mustad equivalency to the Gama hook shown.  As far as having the two hook gap sizes match up, I would think that's like comparing apples to oranges.  The Gama is a perfect bend whereas the Mustad is an O'Shaunghnessy bend.  Maybe there is someone on SOL here that can compare the two and post a picture?   

Mustad    S71SZ  , S71SNP-DT  is the standard I  use at times replaces the 34007 if you can find them , If you like a longer size the Mustad S74SNP-DT is a streamer same hook size 1/0 also great hook