Gyros in Elizabeth

Rate this topic

Steve in Mass

Many years ago in another life (circa 1980) when I lived in Irvington and worked and went to college in Newark I knew of a place in Elizabeth that was this dumpy little Greek Sandwich place. It was right on the main street almost directly under the train tracks.

A buddy of mine that worked at Stop and Shop/A&P in Vailsburg/Ivy Hill with me introduced me to it when we would take our lunch hour from work and go there and then to some record store (yes, VINYL) across the street. This place made awesome lamb gyros, the kind that they cut the lamb right off the vertical rotating spit.

A look on Google maps shows a place still there, The Gyro House, and from the street view pictures, it could well be the same place.

So, anybody know, and is it still any good?

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

If you are stopping in Elizabeth, there's too much good Hispanic food to try.  Or Santillos and Spiritos pizza.... so you won't defile our eyes with another picture of cardboard with cheese. Or an Italian Hotdog at Tommy's, or a regular dog at Jerrys.

Honestly, I have no clue about the gyro joint, but I don't think it is still operational.

I was craving a gyro yesterday and now I see this thread. I may have to try that place in Matawan.

I have been in foodservice for most of my life. When I was 18, I was working for my neighbor who owned a chain of gyro shops that were in the shopping malls in NJ. I was working in the commissary in Clifton where we made most of the food and then shipped it all out to the stores.

One of the things I did there was make the gyros. Grinding the meat, adding the spices to it in the Hobart mixer, then putting it in the mold with the skewer down the middle. Into the freezer and 24 hrs later ready to go to the stores. That was the authentic-american way to do it. Adding the word "American" because the meat was ground. Otherwise, we would have marinated and flattened pieces of lamb and pork and would have layered it on the skewer. Most of the gyro meat you see today is just ground beef made in a factory by Kronos or Grecian Delight.

You are just a dirty, smelly fisherman. If a hot girl is making eye contact with you, she is probably a hooker.

Well, too late, as I am home and didn't stop there. I DID stop at the Hot Grill in Clifton yesterday for a Texas Wiener "All the Way"......... been 40+ years since I was there last, and it hasn't. (I used to play HS baseball right across the street in Nash park.)

Also have a whole #10 from Troopers Sub Shop on Van Houten Ave in my fridge for tonight. And they are also still the same and as good as they were 40 years ago. $10.45 and there is easily a pound+ of cold cuts on it. :)

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

Clifton, and you were near Jose Tejas and a little bit of a ride to White Manna in hackensack..

I'm looking for amazing sharma / gyro's in monmouth county and there just isn't any.. There used to be a place in freehold, but it closed...   

Any recommendations would be amazing.. and not the new place in freehold, it's ok, or Greek eats in shrewsbury.. that's a weird place, like a chipotle feel for gyro... I want the old school shwarma 

When looking remember that it is not just Greek, but also Lebanese, particularly Lebanese. The place we have up here that is pretty good is called "To Beirut" and they have all that stuff as well as a Lebanese grocery next door. 

There is another place down the road from them that is Turkish and does all that stuff as well. Never been there. And there is also "The Feisty Greek" right across the road from them. Never got anything there either, as To Beirut is cheaper and is the only spot I saw the rotating vertical spits right behind the counter.

SOL Member #174

16 mins ago, Goldy said:

Dang!!!!!!  Why is there not a good shwarma around here... 

Sorry, I misread your post.  I thought you wanted the Greek version.

2 options for Lebanese that I know of;  Bayroot in Shrewsbury and Zaitooni in Red Bank.  Try them both and report back.  

24 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Ate at the Greek place in Shrewsbury once for lunch. It was decent- though i'm no gyro expert.  I'm not sure what happened to t he falafel place in Freehold.  Funny i bought something for my wife from there while she was working in town and she was gagging before taking a bite.

nah Main street in Freehold was golden.. We loved it.. There for a while and then gone... I did get weirded out when I walked in there with syrian flags all over and the midwestern music as we were bombing the **** out of isis in syria...