Anchor line, 150' or two smaller lines.

Rate this topic

notime

I normally fish 50' or less and have a 75' line attached to the anchor.  Usually works fine as I have very light boat relative to line and anchor.  However, there are times I fish deeper or may want to let out more line.  Assuming I'd want '125 line, would you buy a separate longer line or have a second line to attach to the '75.  I'd rather not have to buy a '125 line along with my existing '75 so I'm think having a second 50' line would be more cost effective at this point and just easier to work with.   Also,  looking for suggestions on how you'd attach the two.  I have a 17 foot center console I use on the ocean, but won't be anchoring in rough weather. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2018 at 1:26 PM, junkfish said:

Unless you are great with tying knots or splicing, I wouldn't even think about tying two lines together.  Buy the length or even a longer length and don't worry about it.

Thanks.  That is what I ended up doing. 

Anchor lines are one of those things where more is better.  There is no upside to having the bare minimum for the depth you normally fish :)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Look up the nautical term 'scope', and follow the directions.

If I remember right the recommended scope for anchoring is 7 to 10 times the water depth.

You can get away with less, at times of low current, and wind, but if a storm blows in, or the tide starts kicking, you're gonna move.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

• 2 weeks later...

Get a locking carabiner.  

I'd go with 2 anchords lines and a spare anchor.  

I anchor upn I n rocky spots and had to go back because I lost an anchor.

Got one good and one cheap one.  If I fish on real rocky areas, I bring a homemade concrete anchor and cheap rope.  But still have a good setup as backup.

Driftsocks are awesome for jigging if you don't own one yet.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Most of my inshore fishing is between 10 and 40 foot depth. I keep a smaller danforth fluke anchor with 50' of 3/8 line on the top in my hatch and  larger anchor with 100' feet of line on the bottom. I use the small anchor when I can for ease and stealth and reserve the larger anchor for high current situations, long term anchoring or the few times I anchor offshore. The ends of both anchor rodes are equipped with a stainless chain link so I can connect the rodes together if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

i'd go with 2 separate lines with a loop spliced in one end then you can easily tie in the other length with a sheet bend . By the way use double braid rope for your anchor lines it takes up about 1/2 the space as 3 strand rope. Pic of a double sheet bend( rope with black tracer) tied into a line with a bowline loop tied into it.

5e4f4bfe75314_doublesheetbend.jpg.d5b1b56cceb85031ee77a82ec8fc4c32.jpg

Edited by alaskansteve

i'd go with 2 separate lines with a loop spliced in one end then you can easily tie in the other length with a sheet bend . By the way use double braid rope for your anchor lines it takes up about 1/2 the space as 3 strand rope. Pic of a double sheet bend( rope with black tracer) tied into a line with a bowline loop tied into it.

5e4f4cf55ab75_doublesheetbend.jpg.39d0b96e3aee15dcc6ff351ee837e379.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As stated above, true scope is 7:1, but you need to factor in your storage space too ..  That said, I upgraded my existing 350 feet of 3 strand rode, and bought 550 feet of 8 plait. I also did away with my danforth anchor and bought a Lewmar delta plow type.  gets in much quicker and holds. 9 plait runs through my windlass effortlessly unlike the 3 strand and lays much neater in my compartment.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry a 500 foot rope at all times and keep it rolled up on a garden hose reel, drop anchor and roll out what's needed and secure in wedge clamp. knot at anchor clip is a hangman's slipknot, clip is a locking clip ( cannot open by itself ), this system has never failed me yet ( fish rough and calm water ).