Sudsy

Cell phone plan questions

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I'm 4 years out of the loop with this stuff and my phone just croaked permanently so shopping for a new family plan.

4 phones,
1. Galaxy S8, for me, waterproofness and durability is the main concern here, small enough to fit in a pocket while I'm fishing is also important
2. Apple XS Max, Wifey loves her 6+ but it's getting buggy
3. Galaxy Note 9, for the 22 year old
4. A cheapy for Nanny who doesn't do much but talk and text and rarely uses the internet.

Need minimal data for 3, we've never gone over the 2 gig shared we have now, a little more would be nice though, and unlimited for 1, my 22 year old who pounds on the data.

Currently have Sprint which has been OK but not great. Had issues when traveling

Anyone have any opinions ? Shopped this out recently, any good deals
And is any one service really that much better than another one right now ?

I switched to Cricket about a year ago, and the bill is half what it was with T-Mobile before. I pay $90, all-in, for three phones with unlimited everything (I bought all the phones, so that charge is solely for service).

I have no idea what the service is like up your way, but the service for us has been fine. And I'll be honest -- I don't really give a crap about service. In fact, most of the time I think I'd pay extra for a phone with a spotty network -- I hate having to talk to people on the phone.

Edited by Belmo

I've been a Verizon customer since I'm 17. I was about to switch to T-Mobile when I finally renewed my contract last year. Verizon has been good for service and always better than any other carrier but it is the most expensive. I've had all of them for work phones over the years and they just don't compare. 

Since they re-introduced the unlimited plans, all the networks have slowed a bit IMO. I can't stream 1080p out an about anymore without buffer, unless I have full service. Not sure that's gonna matter to most though. 

Service is important

Like I said, Sprint has been fine so long as we're in Jersey but every time we go down to Myrtle Beach or Connecticut I have virtually -0- reception.

Not the end of the world but a definite annoyance

Do you already own those phones?

Go into best buy and see what they can put together plan and phone wise. They handle most carriers.

One note, we had T-Mobile with three phones one for my wife one for myself one for my high school daughter we very rarely ever went over 4a5 gigs now that we are with Verizon we typically go over 10 gigs different carriers measure the data differently. Usage is the same.

2 mins ago, Scallywag said:

Since they re-introduced the unlimited plans, all the networks have slowed a bit IMO. I can't stream 1080p out an about anymore without buffer, unless I have full service. Not sure that's gonna matter to most though. 

That will only matter to my 22 year old

We all need new phones

I miss my old armored waterproof flip phone that just wouldn't die. I held onto that for a ridiculous length of time.

I have lost service with Verizon in rural parts of PA and NY and in parts of the pine barrens. No one gets service in those places though. Sprint was always the least dependable of the carriers I've had. My brother has it and cuts out all the times still. Forget walking into his basement. 

If I'm starting over, id go T-Mobile. 

The one thing that I would recommend is buying the phones yourself, even if they cost $800. When I finally sat down an looked at my T-Mobile bill -- I'd basically ignored it forever -- I couldn't believe how much we were getting hosed for the phones they gave us for "free," and we paid them a monthly installment for. It was $20 or $25 a month for the phone, something like $15 for insurance, and then another fee of something like $15 or $20 for the ability to upgrade phones after 18 months. It added up to something like $150 a month for two phones -- eff that. Just buy your phones yourself, and pay your carrier for service only.

We cut are monthly cell phone bill from $220-ish to like $75 just doing this, and switching to Cricket, and now that we've added a third line for the kid, it's up to $90. But getting your phone from your wireless carrier is like getting a loan from a car dealer -- don't do it, because you end up getting hosed.

3 mins ago, iphish said:

One note, we had T-Mobile with three phones one for my wife one for myself one for my high school daughter we very rarely ever went over 4a5 gigs now that we are with Verizon we typically go over 10 gigs different carriers measure the data differently. Usage is the same.

That also depends on the phone you have and what's allowed to run in the background. My brother had major issues with AT&T dinging him with his iPhone for consuming data in the background. The carriers also put bloatware on these phones that will consume data. 

My wife & I have been with Verizon for years but on my daughter's plan. When she changed her Verizon plan, my rates doubled. My other daughter also had Verizon and she added us to her plan and with the old rates. 

If you have other family members with Verizon, see if they could add you on their plan & at what costs. Never had a problem with service.

T-Mobile service is spotty in rural areas, but they just bought a bunch of spectrum and are building out.

ATT and Verizon have the most towers, it really depends on where you live.

The cheapest way in the long run is to buy your own hardware and pay as you go.

Calling Mart sells the air time at a discount.

We're buying the phones

13 mins ago, Belmo said:

The one thing that I would recommend is buying the phones yourself, even if they cost $800. When I finally sat down an looked at my T-Mobile bill -- I'd basically ignored it forever -- I couldn't believe how much we were getting hosed for the phones they gave us for "free," and we paid them a monthly installment for. It was $20 or $25 a month for the phone, something like $15 for insurance, and then another fee of something like $15 or $20 for the ability to upgrade phones after 18 months. It added up to something like $150 a month for two phones -- eff that. Just buy your phones yourself, and pay your carrier for service only. getting hosed.

Looks like the lease thing Sprint hoses you on, you never stop paying.

We buy the phones with the monthly payments, then keep them after they're paid off for an extra few years. Right now on Sprint we pay $90 a month for 3 phones on 2 gig of data and one with unlimited data, all paid off.

Problem is my phone is dead, no longer charges (and yes I tried putting a new battery in then did a factory reset, it's a hardware problem) and the wife's is getting buggy

Edited by Sudsy

Business account with Verizon worked best for us, financially. Without moving to the Belmo WalMart special. Unlimited data was the key, and that comes standard on the business accounts.

But I don't pay that much attention.

2 mins ago, Sudsy said:

We buy the phones with the monthly payments, then keep them after they're paid off for an extra few years.

We did the same thing, and I thought I was doing all right, until I looked at the bill. T-Mobile wouldn't let us pay off the phones in installments without insurance, and that doubled what we paid for the phones. I added it up, and we paid something like $1,800 in a year -- for two phones with a combined MSRP of $1,500. And they wanted to charge us another year at those rates! Bleep that noise.

There are also pretty good, or maybe just decent, phones out there for fairly cheap. I have one (an LG X Charge) that I paid something like $130 for. It's not the fanciest phone in the world, but it does everything I need it to, and I don't have to bend over in front of a wireless carrier every 30 days to get it.

Eff that noise about paying through the nose for a fancy phone. It's mostly digibabble anyway.