DoorGunner

Thinking about seminars.

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Sucks in the winter trying to keep our heads into fishing. My girlfriend had a nice enclosed back porch with heat and was thinking. Doing a friendly hours long back bay fishing seminar for a limited number of people. Just looking for a little feedback on what topics people would want to talk about. Girlfriend isn't into fishing and suggested this as a way for me to stay in the game. I think it's so I don't bore her with trying to explain fishing.  

How can a guy who lives far away and can only go once every 3-4 weeks be more effective? I'd love to have this talked about anywhere. I cannot scout out and have limited logs. It makes it tough.

You’re a flatfish expert.  Among other things, seems like you’re very experienced with a boat making drifts. Changing your presentation color or speed. A lot of the fishing target population are land based. That’s maybe a different approach for you? Maybe not and if not how so?

Schoolie stripers and your general ideas for land based fishing for them. How do you suggest changing approach from spring to summer, summer to early fall and then late fall. I know you like live bait from the drop net. Anything else? 

With your Barbie rod stories, you could probably school most of us for hours about not overthinking & overcomplicating the way we fish. 

For me it would be finding underwater structure without being able to see the difference in water (no waves to read).. That is what I have the hardest part with, I feel like unless I have some hard structure nearby I am just casting into open water for no reason.

Reading the bay.  You know the information cold.  Share how we can learn more.  I love to fish the back and would rather spend time there than anyway else.  

Also, please.let us know when you will be having the seminar.  Its worth the 2 hr drive!

You make interesting observations and that has to help anyone who wants to learn more.

Starting in a "back porch" setting perhaps giving a title that frames the discussion might help. 

The term "seminar" conjurs up images of powerpoint presentations, door prizes, and a "captain" sideways trying to sell tackle or trips.  Yeah, I've been to some good seminars, so I know what the positive side is, but sounds like you want to make it a little less formal.

Edited by robtf

What I'm picturing in my head is about eight people for hours on the porch covering just about anything concerning back bay fishing from a boat or land. My entire fishing life has been devoted to this type of fishing and I have enough videos so we won't just have to imagine whats being said. Devote time to rig making and knots because when I do it at the dock many people stop to watch and learn. 

Make it as informal as possible so anyone any time can ask questions because we all have questions. There are so many factors to take into consideration for back bay fishing and the more we control those factors the more fish we catch. Wind, major factor. Structure, can make your day. Baits, what where and when. Tide, friend and foe. Sunlight, great tan but mess up fishing. Flats, shallow water, big fish if you know where to go. Location, know when to fish certain areas and when to stay away. The list just keeps growing and thats why I'm thinking hours of discussion. We devote a day to fishing so why not a winter day to improve the chances on the water. Fishing is fun, catching is more fun.   

3 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

What I'm picturing in my head is about eight people for hours on the porch covering just about anything concerning back bay fishing from a boat or land. My entire fishing life has been devoted to this type of fishing and I have enough videos so we won't just have to imagine whats being said. Devote time to rig making and knots because when I do it at the dock many people stop to watch and learn. 

Make it as informal as possible so anyone any time can ask questions because we all have questions. There are so many factors to take into consideration for back bay fishing and the more we control those factors the more fish we catch. Wind, major factor. Structure, can make your day. Baits, what where and when. Tide, friend and foe. Sunlight, great tan but mess up fishing. Flats, shallow water, big fish if you know where to go. Location, know when to fish certain areas and when to stay away. The list just keeps growing and thats why I'm thinking hours of discussion. We devote a day to fishing so why not a winter day to improve the chances on the water. Fishing is fun, catching is more fun.   

Fred, I would like to be first to say I'm in.  I will even bring the Wawa coffee!

It’s a 2 hr drive to the Hook for me.  I fish at least one day/night every eeekend from mid Oct to until the water freezes my guides.  Sometime I catch but mostly not l.  I’m more than willing to put my time in but my learning curve is longer than locals cause I can’t really get dialed in fishing only the weekend.  I’d be greatful for an opportunity to listen.  I’d bring whatever food and drink people would eat.

On 11/5/2018 at 1:12 PM, Pad_Crasher said:

How can a guy who lives far away and can only go once every 3-4 weeks be more effective? I'd love to have this talked about anywhere. I cannot scout out and have limited logs. It makes it tough.

I am in a similar boat now. 12 years ago i fished MoCo 5 nights a week. I now live near Atlantic City and can only go a handful of times a year. A couple years ago I decided that since I am only going minimal now I am narrowing down everything I do. I only target my 50 pound fish now, never got one with highest 38lbs. Not interested in fish under 20-25 lbs now. I narrowed down my lures to only a few that I have confidence in. I narrowed my spots to one area about a mile long. This was after studying a nautical chart and asking myself if I can only fish one area where would it be, where do the big ones pass/set up. I also narrowed the time of year. My absolute goto times are about 4 weeks in the spring and 4 weeks in the fall. In the spring I could narrow it down to 2 weeks if needed. I've narrowed the time/tide down to about 2 hours as well. 

Doing this, I hooked but didn't land my fish that would've been my 50b plus fish. Lost it in the wash to a dumb mistake when I got excited. I still think about it EVERY DAY. But in hindsight it has paid off.

So maybe do what I did. Hope it helps