scoobydoo

Game changing surf reel. 300 yard 30lb braid capacity 11 ounces......BEEN OUT FOR A YEAR and not a peep about it.

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

I purchased a 6000 last week on Scoobs recommendation. Felt like trying something different. Not sure what rod I will pair it with yet. Didn’t fish it. I have to say, it is light as hell. Smooth as butter when cranking. I think the 5:1 gear ratio. will work to my advantage with certain plugs. It also gives a little more torque when reeling in weight.  It does feel solid. Can’t wait to fish it.  

1 hour ago, Tagman said:

I purchased a 6000 last week on Scoobs recommendation. Felt like trying something different. Not sure what rod I will pair it with yet. Didn’t fish it. I have to say, it is light as hell. Smooth as butter when cranking. I think the 5:1 gear ratio. will work to my advantage with certain plugs. It also gives a little more torque when reeling in weight.  It does feel solid. Can’t wait to fish it.  

It's crazy isn't it!

It's  a pretty sizable reel and it weighs nothing.

I like it enough that I have another on it's way that i'm gonna tear down so I don't skip a beat during the fall run.

2 hours ago, xjclint said:

Ebay has 15% off today. Just picked up the 3000 Ballistic for fluke and tog for <$140 shipped. Can't beat that.

Going to pair it with a custom jigging rod at 5-6oz, and the whole combo will be 13oz. Going to be fun!!!

Damn...that's almost what I pay with my cool guy VIP discount.

On 11/6/2018 at 0:02 PM, scoobydoo said:

Thanks man!  That looks better than mine out of the box.. 

Here's mine after playing musical shims and shimming the rotor (30lb stealth camo)

Looks near perfect now.

vlcsnap-2018-11-06-12h59m57s584.png

Scoob, just getting around to reading this thread. No problems packing spool this full? Windknots,etc?

I don’t doubt that scoob can control a spool filled that  much but to infer that is normal is misleading for the vast majority of even advanced googans.:rav:

Prime example from recent post.

D4D9D71A-3EE2-455B-8ED3-E4019DC8633F.jpeg

Edited by olvart

4 hours ago, olvart said:

I don’t doubt that scoob can control a spool filled that  much but to infer that is normal is misleading for the vast majority of even advanced googans.:rav:

Prime example from recent post.

D4D9D71A-3EE2-455B-8ED3-E4019DC8633F.jpeg

That sucks.

How tight was it spooled

I know it behaved beautifully with fireline.  Never an issue.  

I did notice that if not spooled under tension the line lay wasn't very good with braid....I did both and tested both prior to fishing to see the line lay.  Remarkable difference in how even it spooled.  I may have the footage or a photo of the bad.

6 hours ago, Chuck730ss said:

Scoob, just getting around to reading this thread. No problems packing spool this full? Windknots,etc?

None...but the line lay out of the box didn't lay like you see.....this was spooled adding and removing a shim mid spool up.  And I added a shim to the rotor to lift it a hair.  And I think that is the pic prior to doing that so I think it more uniform than in the pic

(kinda the issue with posting vids and pics for so many different reels.....I can't keep up with all of them and update findings...not enough hours in a day.)

I fished this in some heavy south winds ahead of that first big nor easter.

And in some calm conditions prior and since. 

(not the reel i would recomend in a nor easter because it's huge heavy and not needed....but just wanted to see)

On November 5, 2018 at 9:31 PM, EBHarvey said:

keep believing that if you want, but in no situation - working a plug, casting, holding - is more weight advantageous, no matter where it is.  weight is weight, and weight is bad.  Your 11 foot rod might feel slightly more tip heavy with a lighter reel, but a heavier one isn't benefiting you at all.

Exactly.

On the topic of weight, my biggest bass was caught on a 23 oz combo. Odm and vsx150. She was 40lb and in good current. And I had zero issues landing her.

Now remind me why I need a vs250 or penn 8500 lol :rav:

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

None...but the line lay out of the box didn't lay like you see.....this was spooled adding and removing a shim mid spool up.  And I added a shim to the rotor to lift it a hair.  And I think that is the pic prior to doing that so I think it more uniform than in the pic

(kinda the issue with posting vids and pics for so many different reels.....I can't keep up with all of them and update findings...not enough hours in a day.)

I fished this in some heavy south winds ahead of that first big nor easter.

And in some calm conditions prior and since. 

(not the reel i would recomend in a nor easter because it's huge heavy and not needed....but just wanted to see)

Thanks Scooby. Went back and looked at the others dudes lc. Comparing the two looked like he could do just a bit of shimming and have his real close to yours. Not bad for out of the box though, not bad at all.

BTW, since you are so good at shimming, I have a 3000 Battle 2 that could use a little help.....................:)

On 11/5/2018 at 0:32 PM, scoobydoo said:

https://amzn.to/2SQeRxs

I can't believe nobody has mentioned using the Ballistic LT 6000 in the surf.  

With so many guys using the 4k BG, 6k Saragossa, 4500 Penn....

This thing is the literal definition of "under the radar"

And it's almost half a pound lighter

I've been fishing the 2500 since last winter (and a 2000 tatula)  And really enjoy them..

I hear about guys using the Stradic Ci4 4k's and ultegra ci4's.....nada about the big Ballistic which offers better sealing.  

It's the identical capacity to the 4k BG, and Saltiga I have.  And it weighs 11 ounces fully spooled.

And the weight savings is significant enough that it takes the whole balance argument out of the equation.  As it's now making casting that much more effortless.

It also has "THE" gear ratio most surf guys want.............25" per turn (I haven't measured it yet but it's the spec and it was enough of an adjustment that I believe it..........I honestly thought it was a typo)

(EDIT...I measured it.  It's actually 32" per handle crank it was in fact a typo.)

I only have a day on the water with it.  But it's rock solid........zero flex.........whatsoever.  Perfect line lay

Smoother than a bg by a long shot which is pretty damn smooth.

Pulling out snags with 30lb braid (300 yard capacity) using a PR knot to 30lb ande leader didn't harm it at all)

Snagging and Chunking with 3-5 ounces of lead was fine.  

And this is going to sound stupid............It felt at home on an 11 foot rod rated to 8 ounces.   Enough that I think I found a new daily driver.  I showed it to 3 different people while on the water and let someone else use it and they were blow away.   My normal general duty setup is a 4k saltiga / 4500 spinfisher vi 9'6 tiralejo.........and ballistic 6k on a ballistic 11 footer just replaced it.........an 11 footer rated to 8 ounce as a daily driver......with an 11 ounce reel............never in a million years would I ever have thunk it.  

It's not sealed like a saragossa.......but for open beach use, or if you're minimally careful........It'll out last a BG.  As it does have light rubber seals at the main shaft and handle entry. And mag seal at the top of the ar clutch.  (NOT FOR NOTHING BUT THE BG"S HOLD UP WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE TOP PINION BEARING.....WHICH THE MAGSEAL WILL PROTECT PRETTY WELL...BETTER THAN THE BG AT THE VERY LEAST.  

I remember reading a comment on one of my videos 7 months ago sayin he's been using it for tarpon and snook and absolutely loving it.........I finally got around to ordering one since I'm sending out my daily drivers for service at a bad time of the year :( 

I'm damn glad I did.

Not saying it's the holy grail after one outing...but i've put a thousand fish on the smaller one and really can't say anything bad about it.  

And in regards to mag seal..............after testing 30$ per 1 ML and 20$ per 20 ML Ferrofluid.   It's just there to fill a gap and after a year testing both I can't see a difference.  When used at the ar clutch.  It's a simple q tip clean out and add a drop when reassembled.

Definitely worth a look.  Never has my mind been blown like this in regards to a reel. 

Well that says a lot ... speaks well for the price vs. performance mavens.

On 11/22/2018 at 8:47 AM, Fishy4335 said:

Can this reel be dunked briefly with no water intrusion?

Highly unlikely.

Did you see when i opened elias v's fuego and all the salt crud in there.

Same deal...no body seal...magseal at the clutch.  Light rubber seals at the handle and main shaft.

Good to protect against non submersions.   

A little bit of extra grease in the handle well may help too.

And even though the ar clutch switch design is better than how they used to do em ....a bit of grease in there as a barrier wouldn't hurt and would only help