Game changing surf reel. 300 yard 30lb braid capacity 11 ounces......BEEN OUT FOR A YEAR and not a peep about it.

Rate this topic

scoobydoo

15 mins ago, xjclint said:

Why would you get this reel when you could get the certate for $25 more, with a lot more mag sealing and similar weight?

Honestly.....besides weight.....One of the reasons besides time that I'm sending out my saltiga for repair.

After awhile....maintaining mag sealed ball bearings isn't fun anymore.  And this go around I found I couldn't remove some of the magnetic rings.  Even by using stronger magnets.

And not everyone is capable of opening them up where as at least with the sub exist LT lineup they open and close like more familiar reels.

(did you see the new Ballistic LT Japan reel?)

Only a few places to buy them and not much info out there.....but it's the same reel from what i can tell only gold instead of red...and manufactured in japan instead of china)

And.........................................................................

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

8 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

I know its hard but try to pay attention.  I never said a few ounces bothers me, hell, I regularly fish a freakin emblem pro on a 1081L.  Go back and read the post I was responding to - the guy was saying that people are so tired out from casting because their reels don't weigh enough.

Wrong! I am saying people get tired from not having a balanced rod to reel combo. How is it possible, an 11oz reel on and 11ft rod?

(*edited - member also formerly known as 'HolyHogy')

16 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

No clue man......I'm not all that up on cts rods...whats the total weight?  11.9 is the weight of the 11 footer I paired it with

Scoob, what is the make and model number of rod you paired it with?

(*edited - member also formerly known as 'HolyHogy')

heavier reels don't make people less tired.  any weight you have to carry, hold, move, etc. takes effort, and the more weight the more effort it takes.  I get that a balanced rod feels nice in your hand, but it doesn't make casting or retrieving a lure easier - that's your perception but it's wrong.  tell me this.... how does a rod's balance point matter one bit when you're reeling against the resistance of the lure on the end of your line and you have the rod butt either under your arm or anchored against your body?  

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

2 hours ago, xjclint said:

Why would you get this reel when you could get the certate for $25 more, with a lot more mag sealing and similar weight?

Your right! You are talking about the JDM version Certates.

I have been fishing a 3500 size Certate HD and all I can say is that it is an awesome reel. One of the smoothest, most refined reels I ever fished. It has held up very well in the salt. I had a 4000 size that I regret selling.

I never fished these new LT reels that Scooby is raving about. I’m  sure they are great though. Maybe i’ll give one a shot, but I can’t imagine the LT’s bettering the Certates.

17 hours ago, Tagman said:

Your right! You are talking about the JDM version Certates.

I have been fishing a 3500 size Certate HD and all I can say is that it is an awesome reel. One of the smoothest, most refined reels I ever fished. It has held up very well in the salt. I had a 4000 size that I regret selling.

I never fished these new LT reels that Scooby is raving about. I’m  sure they are great though. Maybe i’ll give one a shot, but I can’t imagine the LT’s bettering the Certates.

No way better in terms of terms of quality, refinement, etc......but lighter and simpler.

They actually just released a made in japan black and gold ballistic LT in the east asian market.....only info out there is a 2k sized on an ebay store that comes up readily on google.

Edited by scoobydoo

Tims

5 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Just measured.

32"

Also checked the reel I had been fishing quite a bit in the Spinfisher VI 4500 which comes in at 40"

(which is what it is stated on their website)

The 32" instead of the 25" claimed by daiwa makes more sense since as when snagging bunker it didn't feel out of place.  But it did feel much lighter at the handle on the retrieve than the  higher gear 

I called Daiwa again ,so just for fun and to be technical..they said it’s 32.6”

32 mins ago, SurffisherMike said:

i have the 2500 and 3000, on one of the the foot broke. they are nice reels but not rugged at all. not what i would use for surf fishing

I'd bet if i tried to throw 4 ounces like the way i was throwing it the other day.  The entire reel would go through the guides and leave me the stem as a souvenir :)

That said i've really enjoyed how the 2k and 2500 tatula and ballistic fish.  

That's the first i've heard of there being an issue like that.  Any idea the cause?  Fault in material consistency?

Pic?

I bunch of guys overseas chime in with feedback about them being a great fit in their pike rotation

Edited by scoobydoo

Tims

Just now, SurffisherMike said:

Dont remember dropping it. Bit it cod have taken a bump, but not enough to stand out. Then when after using it I saw it was broken, must have been cracked pretty deep

Did you contact daiwa for a replacement?

Tims

• 2 weeks later...

Ebay has 15% off today. Just picked up the 3000 Ballistic for fluke and tog for <$140 shipped. Can't beat that.

Going to pair it with a custom jigging rod at 5-6oz, and the whole combo will be 13oz. Going to be fun!!!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -Thoreau