scoobydoo

Game changing surf reel. 300 yard 30lb braid capacity 11 ounces......BEEN OUT FOR A YEAR and not a peep about it.

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

https://amzn.to/2SQeRxs

I can't believe nobody has mentioned using the Ballistic LT 6000 in the surf.  

With so many guys using the 4k BG, 6k Saragossa, 4500 Penn....

This thing is the literal definition of "under the radar"

And it's almost half a pound lighter

I've been fishing the 2500 since last winter (and a 2000 tatula)  And really enjoy them..

I hear about guys using the Stradic Ci4 4k's and ultegra ci4's.....nada about the big Ballistic which offers better sealing.  

It's the identical capacity to the 4k BG, and Saltiga I have.  And it weighs 11 ounces fully spooled.

And the weight savings is significant enough that it takes the whole balance argument out of the equation.  As it's now making casting that much more effortless.

It also has "THE" gear ratio most surf guys want.............25" per turn (I haven't measured it yet but it's the spec and it was enough of an adjustment that I believe it..........I honestly thought it was a typo)

(EDIT...I measured it.  It's actually 32" per handle crank it was in fact a typo.)

I only have a day on the water with it.  But it's rock solid........zero flex.........whatsoever.  Perfect line lay

Smoother than a bg by a long shot which is pretty damn smooth.

Pulling out snags with 30lb braid (300 yard capacity) using a PR knot to 30lb ande leader didn't harm it at all)

Snagging and Chunking with 3-5 ounces of lead was fine.  

And this is going to sound stupid............It felt at home on an 11 foot rod rated to 8 ounces.   Enough that I think I found a new daily driver.  I showed it to 3 different people while on the water and let someone else use it and they were blow away.   My normal general duty setup is a 4k saltiga / 4500 spinfisher vi 9'6 tiralejo.........and ballistic 6k on a ballistic 11 footer just replaced it.........an 11 footer rated to 8 ounce as a daily driver......with an 11 ounce reel............never in a million years would I ever have thunk it.  

It's not sealed like a saragossa.......but for open beach use, or if you're minimally careful........It'll out last a BG.  As it does have light rubber seals at the main shaft and handle entry. And mag seal at the top of the ar clutch.  (NOT FOR NOTHING BUT THE BG"S HOLD UP WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE TOP PINION BEARING.....WHICH THE MAGSEAL WILL PROTECT PRETTY WELL...BETTER THAN THE BG AT THE VERY LEAST.  

I remember reading a comment on one of my videos 7 months ago sayin he's been using it for tarpon and snook and absolutely loving it.........I finally got around to ordering one since I'm sending out my daily drivers for service at a bad time of the year :( 

I'm damn glad I did.

Not saying it's the holy grail after one outing...but i've put a thousand fish on the smaller one and really can't say anything bad about it.  

And in regards to mag seal..............after testing 30$ per 1 ML and 20$ per 20 ML Ferrofluid.   It's just there to fill a gap and after a year testing both I can't see a difference.  When used at the ar clutch.  It's a simple q tip clean out and add a drop when reassembled.

Definitely worth a look.  Never has my mind been blown like this in regards to a reel. 

Edited by scoobydoo

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

I've been fishing the 2500 since last winter (and a 2000 tatula)  And really enjoy them..

I hear about guys using the Stradic Ci4 4k's and ultegra ci4's.....nada about the big Ballistic which offers better sealing.  

It's the identical capacity to the 4k BG, and Saltiga I have.  And it weighs 11 ounces fully spooled.

And the weight savings is significant enough that it takes the whole balance argument out of the equation.  As it's now making casting that much more effortless.

It also has "THE" gear ratio most surf guys want.............25" per turn (I haven't measured it yet but it's the spec and it was enough of an adjustment that I believe it..........I honestly thought it was a typo)

I only have a day on the water with it.  But it's rock solid........zero flex.........whatsoever.  Perfect line lay

Pulling out snags with 30lb braid (300 yard capacity) using a PR knot to 30lb ande leader didn't harm it at all)

And this is going to sound stupid............It felt at home on an 11 foot rod rated to 8 ounces.   Enough that I think I found a new daily driver.  I showed it to 3 different people while on the water and let someone else use it and they were blow away.   My normal general duty setup is a 4k saltiga / 4500 spinfisher vi 9'6 tiralejo.........and ballistic 6k on a ballistic 11 footer just replaced it.........an 11 footer rated to 8 ounce as a daily driver......with an 11 ounce reel............never in a million years would I ever have thunk it.  

It's not sealed like a saragossa.......but for open beach use, or if you're minimally careful........It'll out last a BG.  As it does have light rubber seals at the main shaft and handle entry. And mag seal at the top of the ar clutch.  (NOT FOR NOTHING BUT THE BG"S HOLD UP WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE TOP PINION BEARING.....WHICH THE MAGSEAL WILL PROTECT PRETTY WELL...BETTER THAN THE BG AT THE VERY LEAST.  

I remember reading a comment on one of my videos 7 months ago sayin he's been using it for tarpon and snook and absolutely loving it.........I finally got around to ordering one since I'm sending out my daily drivers for service at a bad time of the year :( 

I'm damn glad I did.

Not saying it's the holy grail after one outing...but i've put a thousand fish on the smaller one and really can't say anything bad about it.  

And in regards to mag seal..............after testing 30$ per 1 ML and 20$ per 20 ML Ferrofluid.   It's just there to fill a gap and after a year testing both I can't see a difference.  When used at the ar clutch.  It's a simple q tip clean out and add a drop when reassembled.

Definitely worth a look.  Never has my mind been blown like this in regards to a reel. 

well scoob,,you didn't mention it before and who would have paid attention?

now you have it will be on fire now!

HH

I was thinking about a Spheros (6k)   that's supposed to be "waterproof"   I don't swim with gear but it definitely gets wet......  now what am I supposed to do?

4 mins ago, bobber said:

I was thinking about a Spheros (6k)   that's supposed to be "waterproof"   I don't swim with gear but it definitely gets wet......  now what am I supposed to do?

This is gonna sound silly.......and I'm not diminishing the FACT that the spherogosas are going to be the most rugged at the $$$ .(I have a gosa 6k sitting right next to it)...and I know the "hit the weights" "man up" crowd is gonna flame me for this....

But there are tons of guys that have had great luck with their bg's...and the Ballistic LT brings a bit of protection and Better gearing.

For the shear lack of weight alone I think it's worth without a doubt worth the drop in sealing if you aren't gonna dunk it and be as cautions as you normally would with 99% of the reels out there.  

There are tons of guys out there that think any sealing south of a vs/ zb is a joke anyway sot there's always that.

It's almost half the weight of the spheros.........which is pretty nuts.

The tatula lt i've been fishing this year is 2 ounces lighter than my already light weight stella.  and it's extrememly  noticeable.

My shimano Aldabaran bfs xg baitcaster is 4.6 ounces and it makes my steez xt tws, mgxtreme2, and mgx feel like bricks.  

I've really enjoyed shedding the stella sw 8k weight in favor of the saltiga 4k's size.  This thing is like fishing the same reel minus 1/3rd the weight

And then there's the gear ratio..................when retrieving a bucktail....you barely even feel a load on the handle........it's weird.   Took me a bit to adjust compared to my faster reels.

35 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

This is gonna sound silly.......and I'm not diminishing the FACT that the spherogosas are going to be the most rugged at the $$$ .(I have a gosa 6k sitting right next to it)...and I know the "hit the weights" "man up" crowd is gonna flame me for this....

But there are tons of guys that have had great luck with their bg's...and the Ballistic LT brings a bit of protection and Better gearing.

For the shear lack of weight alone I think it's worth without a doubt worth the drop in sealing if you aren't gonna dunk it and be as cautions as you normally would with 99% of the reels out there.  

There are tons of guys out there that think any sealing south of a vs/ zb is a joke anyway sot there's always that.

It's almost half the weight of the spheros.........which is pretty nuts.

The tatula lt i've been fishing this year is 2 ounces lighter than my already light weight stella.  and it's extrememly  noticeable.

My shimano Aldabaran bfs xg baitcaster is 4.6 ounces and it makes my steez xt tws, mgxtreme2, and mgx feel like bricks.  

I've really enjoyed shedding the stella sw 8k weight in favor of the saltiga 4k's size.  This thing is like fishing the same reel minus 1/3rd the weight

And then there's the gear ratio..................when retrieving a bucktail....you barely even feel a load on the handle........it's weird.   Took me a bit to adjust compared to my faster reels.

See....that right there blows my mind !!

8 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I'm damn glad I did.

Wait you send your reels out? :stick:

20 mins ago, HolyHogy said:

11oz on an 11ft rod? Not happening. Now I understand why people rest on their rods, instead of fishing. No balance on outfit.

Not sure what that rest on their rods comment was based on.....you're barking up the wrong tree if you're directing that at me.  

On this rod it's strangely perfect.

Rod weighs 11.9 ounces

Balancing tip torque with my finger at the top of the reels foot is 40 grams

Balance is 6 inches ahead of the reels foot.

I could add balance weights in the butt and balance it perfectly.

But didn't.  And casting all afternoon non stop into the night......Felt no worse for wear than shorter sticks with heavier reels.

Just now, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Wait you send your reels out? :stick:

LMAO.....Dude..........I ain't got time for dealing with mag sealed bearings that need replacing.....I don't even have time to do the reels on my bench.  (iI have a back log of about 20 reels at the moment)

List of reels i've sent out

Stella sw (because it's cheaper than buying parts :) )  But i bought parts last year anyways

zeebass sand jamb spool issue

daiwa mp 3000 that broke into 20 pieces *1000$ repair plus shipping

Thunnus 6k day after I bought it secondary drag mode stuck.

I think that's it :)

52 mins ago, HolyHogy said:

11oz on an 11ft rod? Not happening. Now I understand why people rest on their rods, instead of fishing. No balance on outfit.

keep believing that if you want, but in no situation - working a plug, casting, holding - is more weight advantageous, no matter where it is.  weight is weight, and weight is bad.  Your 11 foot rod might feel slightly more tip heavy with a lighter reel, but a heavier one isn't benefiting you at all.