Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandbox

Ditch Plains Parking - Easternmost Lot

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Does a non-resident need a parking permit to park at the easternmost lot near Ditch Plains?  This would be the lot at the end of "Road B" (per google maps).  And I'm talking for next weekend, Nov. 10-11.  Online research indicates that the "main" lot is totally off limits to nonresidents, the Otis Rd lot requires a nonresident permit, but I don't see anything about the other lot.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

I think I've answered my own question, but I'll post the info here in case someone else has the same question down the road: the main lot at Ditch Plains is totally off limits to nonresidents (year round & 24/7).  The other two lots require a nonresident permit (also year round & 24/7).  The permits are available Feb. 1, but there are only 3,100 and they cost $400 each. There does not appear to be any options for purchasing a weekend or week-long permit, even off season.  Permits may be purchased from the Town of East Hampton.

If I got something wrong or anyone has any additional info, please post it.  Thanks again.

Its a shame those big lots in Ditch are resident only yearound, years ago they were open post Columbus day. I'd pay a day fee to park there. I used to stay at the East deck, sure miss that place. The parking at Gin Beach at the end of East Lake Dr. is now off limits as well. Parking in those lots is a crapshoot and the tickets are steep. Late Oct. we got away with 4 days parking at the Hero lower lot with 'just' the 4x4 permit.

17 hours ago, giant basshole said:

Can you legally park on a side street and walk in , while they are checking permits in season ? 

Some of the side streets near the lots are posted no parking between 8 am and 6 pm, so the answer is "yes" outside of that time frame and "no" within it.  Other streets - even those a good walk from the lots - are posted no parking period.  And be careful: I read somewhere that on DeForest Road, which runs by all three lots, the parking fine is $450 (?!).  I was lucky - I followed AaronB's suggestion and got a loaner parking pass from the place I was staying out (thanks AaronB). On the other hand, I wasn't that lucky because I only caught one schoolie in about 8 hours of fishing total over Veteran's Day weekend. 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, cheech said:

Its a shame those big lots in Ditch are resident only yearound

Only the main lot is resident only year round.  The other 2 you can park with a nonresident pass.

The easternmost lot is the ‘dirt lot’

the westernmost lot is now suppressed to be for residents and non resident permits are no longer honored there.

the main driver here is that Ditch Plains has to be one of the most popular beaches in the area. People without permits park in these lots anyway. They can’t write out tickets fast enough and either people try to skip paying them or the parking ticket fine is the price of  convenience to them. 

in 2003 I could get to the beach there in summer and it wasn’t until 1030 when the lots would fill up. Last summer the lots were usually filled up at 845.

so I go to other beaches most of the time. I haven’t surfed there in a long time 

in the off season they don’t check as much because nobody is doing ticket writing duty, but if the police are in the area they will still write tickets 

On 11/6/2018 at 5:34 AM, GimmeShelter said:

I have been parking there in Oct/Nov for years and have never be ticketed.

Didn't Wetzel get ticketed for parking there a while back ?

On 11/19/2018 at 1:28 PM, Sandbox said:

Only the main lot is resident only year round.  The other 2 you can park with a nonresident pass.

The non resident pass is yearly only and around $370.00.

16 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Didn't Wetzel get ticketed for parking there a while back ?

Hi Sudsy, Hope all is well and that you had a good year. Yes, Bill did get a ticket ($150.00) there several seasons ago. He may have pleaded the find down a bit.

sb

They check.. trust me. I was ticketed twice in late fall oct. and nov.  Many say they don’t check there this time of year. I tell ya what.. go park there without a permit, then you will know for sure.