shark lobster

Who targets pollack

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Maine Jim^^^

Yeah these guys I’ve fished with for years. They put you on fish. Google them great pics on their site

17 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Love that area

Wife and and a couple other couples would fish on Easter Memorial and labor days the ladies would enjoy all the outlets. Stay for 3 days and get a couple trips with Tim, Jared or Ian. Great crew!

I am surprised more boats don't target them. They're around in huge numbers at times. Walsh's ran awesome trips where it was almost impossible not to hook up on every drop. 

But shore pollack? I have long been tempted to try that large wharf on the outer cape around now. Or walk to the end of that breakwater. 

The canal is the only place I have taken them from shore other than Maine. They love small (1/4) swim shads if the current is slow enough. Every so often, I get one 12-13" and am happy. 

As a kid I loved chasing those harbour Pollack along the edges of the canal in winter. Light freshwater gear, some metals and a really good time if you found the fish. Those Boston blues are very strong....even the lil ones!

7 hours ago, mybosox3 said:

Some 60 years ago my father and grandfather introduced to Bay pollock and Tommy Cod at the east end.

I haven't caught a tommy cod in years...I used to get them all the time while smelt fishing in Nov/Dec of years fast

Plenty of pollock on the north shore.  I fish for the mixed bag from my kayak and often have to move to get away from the pollock.  They school along any drop, find a rocky cliff that goes to 30'-40' and there should be some pollock around it.

Sabikis will produce numbers, the fish run small, although this time of year there are some 16" to 20" fish around.

Unfortunately the extinct cod often takes your pollock lures and you catch a bunch of them.  For good eating, pretend you're fishing for tog, but use a tog jig with squid and you will catch 12" to 16" cunner.

the north shore stays alive with fish until early december, then the pollock and friends move off.

Went on a charter a few years back in the spring and got into monster schools of massive pollack NW corner the bank. Like 15 to 25 pounds. We caught probably 50 in and hour and a half. Is this still an active fishery? 

mybosox3 likes this

18 hours ago, mybosox3 said:

Helen h does well for in season ground fish. Bunny Clark out of ogunquit in my opinion is the best for large pollack. Most uncomfortable boat evah.

Bunny is a good boat for pollack.  Mostly because of all the “chum” flying over the rail.  Had a lot of great pollack trips with them.  They do go out in big water though.  Always cracks me up when we’re getting ready to leave and the capt tells the weather report and if it’s sketchy he’ll warn the passengers.  Theres always one tool who snickers and says “I never get seasick” and 2 hours later he’s on his ass and got his head buried in a 2 gallon bucket thats between his legs

mybosox3 likes this

When I began fishing in the early 1960s my dad and I ran into large numbers of pollock on the west end of the canal each spring.  The fish ran 3-5lbs. Easy to catch on metals and sea worms. Incredibly fighters.  Their flesh was delicious, but highly delicate and perishable. They needed to be cleaned and ice immediately.

mybosox3 likes this

2 hours ago, north-shore fisha said:

Bunny is a good boat for pollack.  Mostly because of all the “chum” flying over the rail.  Had a lot of great pollack trips with them.  They do go out in big water though.  Always cracks me up when we’re getting ready to leave and the capt tells the weather report and if it’s sketchy he’ll warn the passengers.  Theres always one tool who snickers and says “I never get seasick” and 2 hours later he’s on his ass and got his head buried in a 2 gallon bucket thats between his legs

So true. The bunny is very seaworthy but so uncomfortable. The guys are always putting us on fish. So, I suffer the ride but maybe I’m just used to it. And I’m one that never got seasick & hope that doesn’t change 

I'm going Friday out of Seabrook to pull on a few of these stupid things   :D

They are fun when they get over 25 pounds . . . I love watching the guys with a jig and teaser get rigs shredded - I was young and dumb once too - one at a time is plenty for me    :D 

mybosox3 likes this