squammer

Penn Spinfisher SSV 4500LL -- I want to like it...

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

This year I bought myself my first decent reel -- a Penn Spinfisher V (SSV) 4500 LL and I really want to like it... BUT it just feels really rough when reeling.

My other 2 spin reels are a Penn Pursuit 6000 and Okuma Coronado 80a. The latter two reels are considered cheaper reels (~$50 new) but they feel lightyears smoother than the SSV. The only other reel I've used is a Penn Battle 6500 which also felt much smoother, despite being less expensive. The only difference is that my SSV is spooled with 30lb braid while all the other reels were spooled with mono. Does braid make a reel feel grindier/rougher? 

I opened up the SSV and it all looks like new inside -- never been dunked and just occasional spray when in boat rod holder. Always rinsed with hose after use and only used ~20 times. 

Is this rough/grindy/geary feel when winding a characteristic of this reel? It's certainly not a deal-breaker, but I would really like a smoother reel.

Thanks!

The SSV is penns lower end "sealed reel". It has enough sealing to protect it from most spashes and spray you might experience under normal conditions on the water. Because of the seals it will have a tighter feel when reeling and will not feel as smooth as an unsealed reel as it has more resistance inside its body. I would assume this is what your feeling. It should feel tighter and not as smooth, it should not feel extremely grindy or gearing. Its hard to differentiate unless you actually have the reel in front of you. If you believe what your feeling is more than just the natural sealing of the reel I'd bring it to your local shop or reel repair and have them take a look at it.

Basically what Sandbar said. More than likely it's just the sealing. That's just the name of the game. It shouldn't be unbearable though. I definitely feel a difference between my SSV6500BLS and my Battle for example, but it isn't bad at all, and it certainly doesn't keep me from fishing it hard. Maybe it'll just take some more getting used to. 

I had a SSV4500 LL that got “tight” or hard to retrieve under the lightest load for no apparent reason after using it only a few times. There was never any water intrusion, the gear box was well greased and looked pristine.  I posted the issue in the Penn Reels forum and the Penn rep told me to send it in for warranty replacement.  They sent me a new replacement reel.  Only cost was the postage to send it in.  I agree that the seals can make the reel have a little less free spin but it should not make the reel “Geary” or rough. The replacement reel and my SSV 3500 and 6500 LL that have been used a lot more are still very smooth with good free spin.  From the feedback I have read on this site on the SSV reels, I think some of the SSV reels are just lemons that get Geary or tight for no apparent reason (maybe not shimmed properly at factory, defective gear, bearing, or other part).  If you get a good one and take care of it, it is a good reel for the money. 

Mine feels like trash to be honest but it's my first sealed reel so what do I know... I think I am going to take it out once more this weekend and if it's still acting up, I am going to contact Penn.

Sealed or not it should not be rough or Geary.  Post your issue on the Penn forum.  The penn rep will take care of you as a SOL guy.  Especially if it under warranty less than a year old. When you get it back it will be smooth.  

Squammer I think you have a grease or some other issue due to factory maybe not doing great job on your reel assembly. The only reason I say that is that I got a spinfisherV 4000 and it felt great out of the box but an hour into my first use it because very geary. I took it back to store where the manager insisted that's how it's supposed to feel. I was adamant and made them take it back. 

So I think you need to send your reel into Penn for Warranty service.

Is rinsing off reel with a hose a good idea? Seems like you'd be getting water in it.  

Edited by Otshawytsha

33 mins ago, Otshawytsha said:

Squammer I think you have a grease or some other issue due to factory maybe not doing great job on your reel assembly. The only reason I say that is that I got a spinfisherV 4000 and it felt great out of the box but an hour into my first use it because very geary. I took it back to store where the manager insisted that's how it's supposed to feel. I was adamant and made them take it back. 

So I think you need to send your reel into Penn for Warranty service.

Is rinsing off reel with a hose a good idea? Seems like you'd be getting water in it.  

I will do this, thanks for the info.

When rinsing, I kind of hold my thumb over the hose nozzle to make it "mist" on the reel and then dry. I have opened the reel up and no sign of water ever being inside -- looks like new in there. I guess this is a question for a different thread, but is there a better way to rinse after use?

Edited by squammer

46 mins ago, squammer said:

I will do this, thanks for the info.

When rinsing, I kind of hold my thumb over the hose nozzle to make it "mist" on the reel and then dry. I have opened the reel up and no sign of water ever being inside -- looks like new in there. I guess this is a question for a different thread, but is there a better way to rinse after use?

You don’t want pressure that can push sand or dirt into the reel.  For all my reels, sealed or not, I use a low pressure shower and then turn reel upside down so a puddle doesn’t form under the spool that can seep past the shaft.  That being said the SSV with its sealing should be able to withstand a higher pressure spray with no water intrusion.  Rinsing is not the cause of the roughness.  As I said above you got a lemon.  Get a good one and you will like it.  

Update: So the reel is feeling nice again.

I brought it to a local tackle shop and they said that when they unscrewed the handle from the reel body, the grease that lubricates the metal on metal contact area had hardened. They chipped off the grease and re-greased it and it is feelin very nice.

Thanks for everyone's input.