BrianBM

Eli Manning over/under

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Is there a line on whether Eli will start next week, when the bye is over and done with?

I don't know what limitations the player's contract may impose upon training, or if there is a limit, during a bye week. I have no clue how close to being ready the backup idiot QB may be to playing.  The team can't be happy with reading about him in the paper.  

If the rules allow, I suspect that the worst player or two on the offensive line was told, an hour after the last fiasco, that he's going to the practice squad, to be replaced by his backup. Said backup is now elevated to the first team. Two weeks to train intensively, not just the backups, but to train Eli in plays intended to work better with specific plays designed for improved play out of the one or two positions in which improvement is anticipated.

This assumes, of course, that there are backups actually can do a better job. Certainly, the entire line has to understand that they're just a couple of missed blocks away from a mid-season cut. If they haven't figured that out, they'll have been told. And if all we get is better blocking to spring Barkley, that'd be an improvement. If they can't protect Eli or help Barkley out, what else can the coaches do?

It’s in their best interest to play the 3rd string qb the rest of the way. Oakland is in clear tank mode. They want, my guess, the kid, Grier from WVU as does the Giants. 

10 hours ago, Markushook said:

It’s in their best interest to play the 3rd string qb the rest of the way. Oakland is in clear tank mode. They want, my guess, the kid, Grier from WVU as does the Giants. 

I for one hold some faith that the fine giants organization would not stoop so low as to purposely tank.

21 mins ago, iphish said:

I for one hold some faith that the fine giants organization would not stoop so low as to purposely tank.

Lol! 

Yeah, ok 

3 mins ago, iphish said:

why would they?

Because they suck! They are cap strapped with overpayed dogs. 

They need a qb, they need 3 OL, they need DBs, they need LBs. 

They have a RB, a TE, and 2 WR. 

Its in their best interest to tank. And they will/are.

29 mins ago, Markushook said:

Because they suck! They are cap strapped with overpayed dogs. 

They need a qb, they need 3 OL, they need DBs, they need LBs. 

They have a RB, a TE, and 2 WR. 

Its in their best interest to tank. And they will/are.

I am well aware of the reasons that you state... 

A couple of years ago the Boston Celtics were in a very similar position, worst in the NBA, The were terrible, the value of the #1 draft pick was big. At season end It came down to one game that Celtics easily could have sat a couple of starters, maybe faked an injury or simply mailed it in. No one would have noticed,  

Every talk radio station in new england was lit up all week of why they should tank.

I happened to hear ( I am paraphrasing)  Danny Ainge address the upcoming game, he was not mic-d up.  He said " all fans of professional sports demand that every team put out the best effort for the entire game, and within the rules make every effort to win every game. Any team or organization that so much as thinks differently is a fraud, the league becomes a sham, every ticket buyer, vendor, business is being lied to and deceived.  And I want no part of it and the Boston Celtics will have no part of it. "

They went out and won that game, as I recall convincingly.

That's why I asked the question why would the giants do that.

Desperation is a horrible thing. The NFL needs that team to be relevant, as they insist on having them play in prime time. 

They are desperate. I don’t think their fan base would be terribly disappointed if they tanked, for the betterment of the team. 

Theres a different between tanking, and a team not showing up to play. Players get the "why bother" attitude when a team is as bad as the giants,  and it's the coaches responsibility to give them a reason to play hard. Guys that lay down should be judged accordingly with contracts and playing time the following year. 

That being said, I don't think management would tank the season for a draft pick. Sitting eli manning to see what you have in a backup is not tanking the season. Sitting guys like beckham and barkley would be tho.