Vr 50

Rate this topic

bjelley

bjelley, it is a great little reel, but it depends on your application. I use it on 9ft rods and shorter as it is very small and light (just over 9oz).

My advice would be this:

• If you are using it for the kayak, for tog, for backbay scenarios, or in areas where it will get wet but not regularly dunk, I would get a Vr50.
  • If you dunk the reel a lot or wade on bars, I would go with the vsx150 (similar size but a bit bigger body and gear).

That all being said, I have put 30lb fish on it, I have dunked the heck out of it, and it has held up fairly well (it did need to go to VS for spool shims and then a new AR bearing though). In the past year, my VSX has had no service at all and it great.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -Thoreau

I have mine on a 7'6" jigging rod. it's a little too small for any kind of surf rod, unless you only plan to throw something light/tinny on a 9' or less rod. It's not because it cannot handle the weight, but because it will not balance a longer rod. It just feel weird in hand when you have a 9 footer and a small reel.