flyangler

Be Careful When Handling "The Hatch" in South Florida

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Being a recent transplant, I had no idea what a leather jack was until I posted this one Instagram and got comments warning me to be careful handling the baitfish. Seems the leather jack has a venomous spirit in his dorsal and anal fins and it cause quite the ouchie. When I set this up I only handled it with two fingers around it’s mid-section so I guess I ducked a sting. 

Anyway, small jack crevalle in the 1-3# range were all over Saturday morning so my fly choice did not need to match "the hatch" too closely. 

1EA1CFD1-2B8B-4125-8468-B8B9435969E4.jpeg.ff8b30d3cac3782e4f230a5407c9a850.jpeg 

Do a little homework by AAron J.Adams ,PHD , I have a hand book by him which is "Fly Fisherman's Guide to  Saltwater Prey " helps you match the hatch w/ fly patterns  I followed his advice w/ catching  Florida ,Caribbean ,Bahamas 

Edited by Hook I

I hate those fish, burns like hell when they stick you, every time I get stuck I can't wait to kill it, now I kill em before I even try to get my fly back

Three feet of leader and a swing and a body slam usually quiets the the the SOB down.

There’s not one darn fish here that you don’t second guess yourself before you get near it, especially something new that you haven’t seen. I’ve actually caught myself forgetting to not put my hands under the gill plates of a snook. 

Down here you dont look at something as simple as an ant as being harmless. 

Those damn things suck. Learned the hard way a couple years ago down in the keys. 

if you look stories on the web I guess the stings can get pretty gnarly. Mine just stung and took a bit to stop bleeding. 

13 hours ago, Hook I said:

Do a little homework by AAron J.Adams ,PHD , I have a hand book by him which is "Fly Fisherman's Guide to  Saltwater Prey " helps you match the hatch w/ fly patterns  I followed his advice w/ catching  Florida ,Caribbean ,Bahamas 

Good book. He's a local here. He has another book that might be out of print called "Fisherman's Coast" that's also fairly educational.

-and for the record no one calls them "leatherjacks" down here, they're hornbellies, and I've never heard of one being found in the stomach contents of any species.

Edited by Local66

One more thing I forgot to mention is when you hook them is you can’t hold the leader 6 inches from the the fish because they flip and bounce around and they will get you.

my friend from WV calls them “ vinegar fish “ because he actually carries a small bottle of vinegar in is sling pack to poor on the wound to help with the stinging.

23 mins ago, Local66 said:

Good book. He's a local here. He has another book that might be out of print called "Fisherman's Coast" that's also fairly educational.

-and for the record no one calls them "leatherjacks" down here, they're hornbellies, and I've never heard of one being found in the stomach contents of any species.

As a supporter of BTT I get the publications mailed to me at home .He always has very educational topics to read . I can across a few fish catches while traveling south of the USA maybe a decade or so back and was always unsure of a few species , which after researching thru his books , it was all explained very well . Ok , now know your FYI of the hornbellies , I did not know that  Back to Tampa next week , I really like the versatility there and always learning  Always enjoy your posts  

Highly recommend one of these in your bag if you're going to fish anywhere there are SW catfish or similar scourges of the salt.  H&H Lure Co Catfish Flipper.  $2.25.  Easy to use.  Being stuck by a SW catfish is always very painful and can result in a very serious infection.  Friend of mine almost lost a finger to one. 

H&HFlipper.jpg

Iv'e never seen a leather jack that small. I have only caught them off of Bean Point in Anna Maria Island.  They were 10-12 inches - and yes - they do damage.

Herb

5 hours ago, Hook I said:

As a supporter of BTT I get the publications mailed to me at home .He always has very educational topics to read . I can across a few fish catches while traveling south of the USA maybe a decade or so back and was always unsure of a few species , which after researching thru his books , it was all explained very well . Ok , now know your FYI of the hornbellies , I did not know that  Back to Tampa next week , I really like the versatility there and always learning  Always enjoy your posts  

It's entirely possible that they do call them leatherjacks on the gulf side, hornbelly could just be an east coast vernacular. I've always known them as hornbellies, and getting hit by one is a pretty miserable experience. I always thought lionfish were the worst thing nature could throw at us, but Florida is full of surprises. Look up the "Puss Caterpillar", I'd rather take a stingray barb in each foot than tangle with one of those things again.

28 mins ago, Local66 said:

It's entirely possible that they do call them leatherjacks on the gulf side, hornbelly could just be an east coast vernacular. I've always known them as hornbellies, and getting hit by one is a pretty miserable experience. I always thought lionfish were the worst thing nature could throw at us, but Florida is full of surprises. Look up the "Puss Caterpillar", I'd rather take a stingray barb in each foot than tangle with one of those things again.

That’s not nice by Mother Nature