Trainman327

Internationa II 50TW

13 posts in this topic

I purchased a used International II 50TW reel from a thrift shop. It functioned well when I got it, but I knew I should give it a good cleaning. I completely disassembled it, keeping all the parts in their exact original order. There was no corrosion, but a lot of dried grease. Everything was completely cleaning and reassembled. There is one thing different I noticed once I was done. The drag lever doesn't go all the way to the lower stop like it did before I cleaned it. It appears to functions properly and the drag was able to be set properly. I just don't know if this is okay or I did something wrong. The attached pictures show the difference. 

This is before cleaning. Notice the lever goes a little below the pin and covers the "F" 

Reel-1.jpg

This is after cleaning. Notice the lever stops over the pin. 

Reel-2.jpg

Edited by Trainman327

5 hours ago, Trainman327 said:

I purchased a used International II 50TW reel from a thrift shop. It functioned well when I got it, but I knew I should give it a good cleaning. I completely disassembled it, keeping all the parts in their exact original order. There was no corrosion, but a lot of dried grease. Everything was completely cleaning and reassembled. There is one thing different I noticed once I was done. The drag lever doesn't go all the way to the lower stop like it did before I cleaned it. It appears to functions properly and the drag was able to be set properly. I just don't know if this is okay or I did something wrong. The attached pictures show the difference. 

This is before cleaning. Notice the lever goes a little below the pin and covers the "F" 

Reel-1.jpg

This is after cleaning. Notice the lever stops over the pin. 

Reel-2.jpg

You could call Mistic reel parts thay can help:)

If I recall correctly, my 50 TW has four belleville washers in the drag mechanism.

I think gives 4 possible configurations from maximum drag/minimum lever throw to minimum drag/maximum lever throw.

• ( )( )  -minimum drag / maximum lever travel
  • (( )) -intermediate
  • ((( ) -intermediate 
  • ((((  -maximum drag / minimum lever travel

Train,

You are good, the after cleaning location of the lever is more normal than the before cleaning.  If you planning on using it for larger fish such as Tuna I would recommend adding the dura-drag washer in there. 

tony

Edited by PENN Fishing

2 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Why go to Mystic or anywhere else when the experts are right here answering :)

tony

Yes sir,,,,where can he get the dura drag washers :)

20 hours ago, woodbutcher said:

If I recall correctly, my 50 TW has four belleville washers in the drag mechanism.

I think gives 4 possible configurations from maximum drag/minimum lever throw to minimum drag/maximum lever throw.

• ( )( )  -minimum drag / maximum lever travel
  • (( )) -intermediate
  • ((( ) -intermediate 
  • ((((  -maximum drag / minimum lever travel

I think this is the missing piece of information. Those washers were the worst part of the reel. Dried grease and dirt and there were two sets of two stuck together. It took some work to get them clean. I now think they were likely in the (( )) configuration because of how they were stuck together. When I reassembled the reel I put them in the (((( configuration. Now, when I set the drag to have slight pressure just above the free setting, it is far tighter in strike than it was before I serviced it. Unfortunately, I didn't see this information in any of the literature I found online. I will have to play around with it and see what happens. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

13 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Why go to Mystic or anywhere else when the experts are right here answering :)

tony

Thanks Tony. I figured I would get good information here. All of my saltwater reels are Penn. Some going back to my grandfather in the 60s. I have been able to get parts for his senators and jigmasters from Penn. I do have a few greenies as well, but I don't use them. I prefer the newer spinning reels. All his conventionals are still in use. One of his 1960s 9/0 Senators was used to catch a 500# Black Marlin in Costa Rica back in 2015. See in my profile picture. If they are properly maintained and repaired they should last for a very long time.

The only other detail that comes to mind is if ( )( ) configuration is used you may not be able to get complete free spool. There might be very slight drag remaining at the full free setting.

Not really, unless when you set your gear while trolling it bothers you to have to pull a few yards of line out while under way. 

It amazes how far some guys can cast a live bait with one of those beasts.

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Unless he's casting with the thing, would that really matter? 

Never considered casting an International. LOL

I learned to surf cast with Jigmasters on 7' rods. That's what my grandfather gave me to use and there was hell to pay if I backlashed it. I now use Squall 15 Star drag and Squall 30 Lever drag reels for surf casting on either prevail or battalion rods. Those cast like a dream.