patarpon120

11/4 Report

32 posts in this topic

Start in the predawn hours at UB. Outgoing tide, and water was a cook 53 to start. Light N wind that picked up. No marks, no bait.

Pulled the kayaks and headed for greener pastures. Went and checked out the hook, but the wind was alittle much.

Moved further back up the bay after we heard some rumors. Launched from Keyport, with very calm conditions. Found scattered bait balls,  but no marks. Lucked into one small 19" bass, to avoid the skunk. Water temp topped out at 56 and was very dirty more towards the back.

Called it a day in late afternoon. Conversations back at the ramp, all reflected our experience.

20181104_121409.jpg

Edited by patarpon120

I paddled up north to sandy hook. Fishing was pretty slow.  Wind started out strong from north. Took over an hour to get to the hook. Less then 20 minutes to return. The launch needed to be timed between waves.  There was a bit of a sand bar at  launch time. The landing was easier.  Very few surf fisherman out. Water still pretty dirty. Only saw one other kayaker. Not too many boats out either.

Edited by dbjpb

I went out front around Sea Bright Sunday as well. I didn't see a single kayak out there besides myself, I was questioning my sanity for the earlier part of the day as it was a little windy. Not too much action but I did end up with one nice fish around 30lbs that I got on some live bunker. 

Fish.jpg

So let me ask, which I know this topic has been discussed on here. I'm traveling roughly 2 hours to fish. That being said, I can I determine with online information (weather, wind, surf), when I should make the run to the surf, versus heading directly to the bay areas?

I check wind, weather and often swellinfo.com. But I cause I am looking for near perfect condition to surf launch. My other option, which I've yet to do, is find a semi protected beach launch location. Maybe behind a jetty or rock structure.

11 mins ago, patarpon120 said:

So let me ask, which I know this topic has been discussed on here. I'm traveling roughly 2 hours to fish. That being said, I can I determine with online information (weather, wind, surf), when I should make the run to the surf, versus heading directly to the bay areas?

I check wind, weather and often swellinfo.com. But I cause I am looking for near perfect condition to surf launch. My other option, which I've yet to do, is find a semi protected beach launch location. Maybe behind a jetty or rock structure.

Steady west winds really lay the surf down out front.  Good thing is that the prevailing winds in the fall are west.  That's the forecast I want to see (with my big ass, slow  PA12 yak).  If you see steady west (even if its up to 12 mph), you'll likely have a flat surf.  And you want to make sure its still going to be W when you return, LOL.    Doesn't take long for an E or NE to really stir it up.

3 hours ago, benellis960 said:

I went out front around Sea Bright Sunday as well. I didn't see a single kayak out there besides myself, I was questioning my sanity for the earlier part of the day as it was a little windy. Not too much action but I did end up with one nice fish around 30lbs that I got on some live bunker. 

Fish.jpg

I was going to launch there too sunday morning. I went with my gut, fished in the back and got the skunk lol.

Nice fish! 

33 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

I was going to launch there too sunday morning. I went with my gut, fished in the back and got the skunk lol.

Nice fish! 

It's always a tough call on marginal days like yesterday. The first spot I checked out to launch from had much larger waves with some breaking further out on a sand bar, didn't feel comfortable with that and ended up driving further down the road and found some better conditions. Sorry to hear about the skunking, I know I've had my fair share.