fishbites

What are topwater plugs painted on the top.

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I have always wanted to know why topwater plugs are painted on the top and not the bottom. I mean they have a great paint job that fish don't see from below. I has anyone else ever thought of about this?

1 hour ago, Always_NoFo said:

I think it's more for us than it is for the fish. 

This.  A LOT of what happens in making and marketing lure is to catch a fisherman more than a fish.   

5 hours ago, fishbites said:

I have always wanted to know why topwater plugs are painted on the top and not the bottom. I mean they have a great paint job that fish don't see from below. I has anyone else ever thought of about this?

Do you mean they are white/off white/pearl on the bottom? 

If so there is a reason for the white belly. Bass hang low in the water, when they see a plug flopping around above it resembles a bait fish. Most fish/baitfish have a light colored belly, right? 

Edited by jimmy z

I've come to believe that, when it comes to surface lures, fish are attracted to the commotion the plug makes more than they are the color its painted. In fact I'm not even sure that color means much at all, on a surface lure, because I'm thinking a fish looking up sees more of the splashing and disturbed water than it does the color of the lure. This year, the most productive topwater plug for me was a pencil popper. After the pencil I started the season with lost most of its paint, it continued to produce. It didn't look anything like it did when it was new, but it still caught plenty of fish. Recently, I went to buy some more of the same brand/model pencil popper figuring I'd eventually lose or destroy the one that had worked so well for me. They were out of every color that looked like it belonged in a saltwater bag but I still bought the ones that looked like a freshwater fish because I really didn't think the color would matter. 

It is a proven fact that striped bass have vision that is very akeen to color, and can see a wide variety in the color spectrum, especially during daylight hours. In a lot of ways, it is similar to ours. I do believe that some of the crazy color combos attract fishermen more than fish, but there are certain color combos like mackerel and bunker patterns, that will gain more attention at certain times of the year. 

Fast moving topwater plugs like pencils and poppers, may be less subjected  to color, due to the attraction being the commotion they create, but slower moving plugs like swimmers, danny’s, and darters, IMO, will definitely attract fish by the pattern they represent. Hues of yellow and greens have always been my favorite, as they are the the colors that I feel a bass sees best. But, there sure are a lot of pretty plugs! :)

3 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Many pencils and poppers will sink when one stops retrieving.

This ^^^^.

And for true floaters I think that what I call Hi Viz plugs  offers the best of both worlds- florescent  colors ( chartreuse, pink, green ) on the top for the anglers visibility with scale sides with pearl bottoms for the fish' visibility.

Edited by afterhours

1 hour ago, Seabassplug said:

In my opinion having the eyes on the bottom of the pencil popper (calamari profile) is more important than the color.

I doubt a bass can see the eyes on the pencil if you’re working it in the traditional manner.

Bass also tend to hit plugs from the side (hence hitting the middle hook), the commotion drives them up from the depths then maybe its the color or whatever that entices them to actually hit it