Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Nov 4 - Dec.

Rate this topic

120 posts in this topic

i was hoping that someone was down in soth county today having a look see.....i was shoveling clay in the bottom of a 10 foot trench with mud up to my knees....thinking i should be on the beach

Beautiful night last night - big surf caught me by surprise but still fishable.  Spent 1.5 hours casting a few Newport locations that have given up late bass in the past.  Felt good to swing the arms but no one was home.  That's a wrap for me. 

On 11/29/2018 at 6:07 PM, rst3 said:

Havent tried there, but have at other local squid spots. At night a generator/light is key. 

Had fun doing this off a Maine marina dock for pollock. Saw some good size silhouettes lurking below the baitball. Looks like the surf is kaput so might give it a go. 

Took a walk on the calamari causeway today - guys were catching a ton of mackerel - 12-16 inches or so.  Also occasional herring.

How nice it was to have a decent fall run on Block. The first for me in a long while. Although very spread out, they were not big and it was very amusing.  Just might buy a few more plugs after all.

11 hours ago, turkaholic said:

How nice it was to have a decent fall run on Block. The first for me in a long while. Although very spread out, they were not big and it was very amusing.  Just might buy a few more plugs after all.

It was rather refreshing to "expect" a few bites each time I went to a location.  That hasn't happened in quite a few seasons.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:10 PM, DZ said:

Took a walk on the calamari causeway today - guys were catching a ton of mackerel - 12-16 inches or so.  Also occasional herring.

been a lot of herring around this year, for the past week or two.  kinda surprising given the poor status of the stock, esp in the gulf of maine (trawlers havent even hit their quota for the year if i recall correctly.)  though there's been a lot of bait around even this late, silversides and peanut bunker.  fish have been spitting up what i believe are juvenile silver hake (whiting) as well.

speaking of whiting, i've been on a hunt recently to try to find one from shore, I've heard there used to be a big late fall fishery for them and i'm interested in seeing if anything remains!  been fishing herring chunks on bottom rigs at night, in what seem like possible spots to me, but all i've caught is big macks. 

does anyone have any intel on where a whiting might be found?  or how to target them?  i think it'd be super cool to see if this fishery still exists in any form around here.

15 mins ago, smallstupidfish said:

been a lot of herring around this year, for the past week or two.  kinda surprising given the poor status of the stock, esp in the gulf of maine (trawlers havent even hit their quota for the year if i recall correctly.)  though there's been a lot of bait around even this late, silversides and peanut bunker.  fish have been spitting up what i believe are juvenile silver hake (whiting) as well.

speaking of whiting, i've been on a hunt recently to try to find one from shore, I've heard there used to be a big late fall fishery for them and i'm interested in seeing if anything remains!  been fishing herring chunks on bottom rigs at night, in what seem like possible spots to me, but all i've caught is big macks. 

does anyone have any intel on where a whiting might be found?  or how to target them?  i think it'd be super cool to see if this fishery still exists in any form around here.

The old hot spots from shore for whiting were the Jamestown docks and Calamari Causeway.  Try after dark in the deeper water areas with a high low rig size 2 hooks and some squid or mackerel strips fished on the bottom.  This is the right time of year to try.  

I dont understand how there can be so many peanuts, but no adults. I only saw 2 small pods of pogies along the SS the entire Fall.  

On 12/8/2018 at 3:45 PM, MakoMike said:

Anyone hear anything about herring?

they were there last week, if you were gonna do it I'd go soon, based on the pattern of the past few years.

interestingly, they don't seem to be as driven by water temperatures as they have in the past, maybe they're more seasonally driven than i expected, or they're much more flexible on the lower bound than the upper?