Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Nov 4 - Dec.

Rate this topic

120 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

Definition of insanity...crunching through frozen sand at night. :wag:

Definition of sanity...staying at home and downing those red cocktails. :naughty:

Those drinks have lots of vitamins and minerals!

Easy limit of nice tog today with a local Newport guide.

All fish were 45-50ft...  zero hits anything more or less.

20181112_191741.jpg

Got into a good blitz this afternoon.  Probably released 2-3 dozen. The average size was about 24", the biggest was about 35". All were caught on a white 1 oz bucktail with a 6" or 8" curly tail.  The predominant bait was 1" peanut bunker.  

8 hours ago, gorkmonster said:

Got into a good blitz this afternoon.  Probably released 2-3 dozen. The average size was about 24", the biggest was about 35". All were caught on a white 1 oz bucktail with a 6" or 8" curly tail.  The predominant bait was 1" peanut bunker.  

Glad you into one of those. Gets our beach crew antsy when it looks birdy along the beach and its just gulls swarming over a duck splash. Got into fish like that last week smashing the same bait. One in the pack really crippled my 3oz. crippled herring. 

16 mins ago, SlackTideBri said:

Glad you into one of those. Gets our beach crew antsy when it looks birdy along the beach and its just gulls swarming over a duck splash.

Thanks.  That was me Saturday.  Caught 1 bass and 1 duck.  Gulls and gannets were out of range.

Took the kids down to the beaches yesterday afternoon hoping to get into some fish.  Hit 3 different beaches and it was barren and lifeless at all of them.  Nothing way out, birds flying here and there but not finding anything either saw no bait or fish.  Heard there was some action a few more miles west, but kids were done at that point.  If bites are getting that sporadic and specific then for me this season is a wrap, im sure more schools will come thru but it will get more random and sporadic with lots of dead water in between.  So that is the wrap for my 2018 season, will poke around for some staging holdovers in a few weeks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Im also done for the same reason. Sure on any given day you can strike gold but the odds are decreasing. Easy decision to make when ur 80 minutes away. If i was local, id be still hitting it. GL to those still chasing 'em!

Edited by bdowning
added a comment

Not sure why people are giving up. Fish were everywhere this weekend. Tog, stripers, blues, you name it. Had a half dozen legal tog and as many schoolies as you wanted.

Sure most were available only to boats and kayaks, but many came in close to shore.

13 mins ago, xjclint said:

Not sure why people are giving up. Fish were everywhere this weekend. Tog, stripers, blues, you name it. Had a half dozen legal tog and as many schoolies as you wanted.

Sure most were available only to boats and kayaks, but many came in close to shore.

Too many conflicting priorities for the amount of fish around.  Dont have time to stand on the shore and hope for fish to come into range, its not the type of fishing I enjoy.  Nights are getting tough to stand out there for hours, and that is my main time frame to fish without screwing up family obligations.  If I was retired or didnt have kids at home, it would be a different story.

25 mins ago, xjclint said:

At least for me... it's a 240 mile round trip drive. Costs me over 50 bucks in gas and coffee and a day totally blown just to put my hat in the ring. Just not worth it to me right now.

Ive caught schoolies on the RI beach til December 20th. But that achievement comes at a bigger cost than the simple 50 bucks to get down and back:

> namely, getting laid.

And rn, after a super long season.... im *ALL ABOUT THE PUSS*

5beb0acace269_s-l300(1).jpg.1510fdeac90a6177ba05b37b6bc6ec36.jpg