Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Nov 4 - Dec.

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

Managed to find "decent" (almost keeper) fish at end-of-day yesterday.  Feeding heavily on 3-4" peanuts.  When we walked out on the sand there was about 1/2 mile of birds feeding 100m from shore.  We picked off fish here and there until we found a spot where the bait was stacked nearer to shore. 

My son landed about a dozen stripers before the bite moved off.  I spent most of my time climbing up and down the rocks unhooking for him, so I only managed 3 or 4.  I didn't mind, because I got to see his excitement at witnessing the blitz.

Flew into Westerly yesterday afternoon from Block, got to a popular beach nearby. As I was entering the beach a watched a guy come out behind on of those houses with a nice 25 lb class fish. Got on the beach to see birds crashing reasonably close. By the time a got on them I could only manage one small but it was encouraging. Did not see any fat bitches

One dink for me in 2-3 hrs late yesterday afternoon. Three different widely separated locations. Some birds, way out. No gannets. No bait that i could see in wash.

Timing and location is everything now. Got several decent reports from others both before and after i was thr so they are around for sure if you hit it right.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished last Pm after dark at a popular spot, only a few guys out. Decent pick of fish to keeper size, fish were really picky and lots of short hits and dropped fish. I lost one very drag pulling nice fish, which will drive me to head out again. Only a few small ones, most were big schoolies to small keeper was much better then I anticipated.

too the guys who walked out to the end and NEVER turned your lights off on a dark night.... thanks and learn how to fish at night.  You dont blast someone who has a fish with lights and then cast to the area in front of them from above.  MAYBE you dont catch because you never shut your lights off or take any time to observe what the folks catching are doing......... rant over

Edited by Kooky
gjq and shark lobster like this

Going to be a real tough slog out there this week. Winter conditions most days.

Here's Newport showing 25-30kts WNW offshore flow this afternoon, after cold front whipped through.

Video by eweather weather photographer 

Offshoreblow.gif.0d06e065138870e022e76f1dce6c42b8.gif

gjq likes this

Today I hit beaches near Westerly, an adjacent outflow, another outflow up the coast, and some rock piles and rocky shores even farther east. Nuttin’, honey. Though it was a beautiful (if ultra-windy) day to be out. My RI fishing is probably done for 2018.

I stopped off at a soco beach yesterday hoping that a NNW wind might mean relatively calm surf - nope. While it was fishable, it didn't look like any fun at all. It looks like my saltwater season is over.

Went a few miles further east and found birds, a lot of 1" peanuts and schoolies, up to 26 mostly smaller. Froze my a$$ off but counting the months until another season, can't give it up yet. 

Going back until the fat lady hurts my ears.

9 hours ago, quack said:

Nothin' but birds and people looking for fish where i was this am.  I like crunching through frozen sand in the dark.  This routine suits me

Definition of insanity...crunching through frozen sand at night. :wag:

Definition of sanity...staying at home and downing those red cocktails. :naughty:

I said after being skunked last Sunday that I was done. So of course I went back this morning for my last, last outing. I arrived in SOCO just after sun up and walked down the path to take a look at the water. Birds everywhere, fish breaking, hardly any wind. Seriously, it was perfect! Got my gear on and hurtied down to the rocks and there were little blow ups happening everywhere. Second cast and I’m hooked up to a small bass. I’m thinking, “I timed this perfectly, this is going to be epic”. Second cast I get a few taps. 3rd cast nothing. Fish still popping up everywhere. Cast after cast, nothing, nothing, nothing. They moved on and so did I. First west, then east, then further west then back to where I started. In my travels I could see fish breaking way out under huge flocks of gulls and Gannets. I only caught the one fish but was happy enough. The migration continues. Get out there while you can. Even if it’s just to watch.