RI Fish Report Blog. Nov 4 - Dec.

Rate this topic

Capt.Castafly

Saw a few gannets this am not too far from shore in Soco. Mostly doing what I was doing....looking for bait and fish. None of them did the high speed dive act that I could see. Surf was very dirty at high tide, hopefully cleared up some on the drop.

Pfantum Pfishah

17 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

B,

I share your optimism re Atlantic Herring run, for that's what drew me to SoCo last year around this time.

Given the lack of them in the Gulf of Maine (per rst3), we might be trying to intercept a non-existent run.

Phil, despite the deficits in overall population I do think herring will show at some point in RI. They do every early winter, and can be caught at night with sabikis and generator-lights from several popular squidding spots. The imp questions for me are twofold:

Is there anything left to eat them (besides gannets)when they travel down the coast? 

Will the schools come into the wash, or stay far offshore? 

It's impressive to see gannets bombing a school, but futile if it's 500yds out, and/or no predators left to chase from below.

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

Phil, despite the deficits in overall population I do think herring will show at some point in RI. They do every early winter, and can be caught at night with sabikis and generator-lights from several popular squidding spots. The imp questions for me are twofold:

1.  Is there anything left to eat them (besides gannets)when they travel down the coast? 

2.  Will the schools come into the wash, or stay far offshore? 

It's impressive to see gannets bombing a school, but futile if it's 500yds out, and/or no predators left to chase from below.

I added the numerals and bold face.

1.  Good GD question!  With only one season of experience, I don't pretend to know.  All I saw in my dozen or so days last season were small schoolies, with the (very) occasional 28-30" bass.

2.  Talk about frustrating AF!!  I've seen what appeared to be hundreds of gannets dive-bombing, but they never got any closer to shore than about 1/4 mile, and they were usually twice that distance away.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

May try to get out tomorrow PM, just to give night trips a last go.  The weather this week is too nice to pass up, next week looks to take a brutal turn to cold!

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....

Wind shift for those heading out. Had been a WSW crosswind, just shifted to NNW offshore.

5be3f395d0e96_plot_met(24).png.84493fecb3e0542a22f46d0f20256544.pngCompassSC.jpg.fe50bb112ffc016e6c52357dc15e214f.jpg

That'll settle the seas a little this morning. Wind eases up to poss (W?) 5-10kts this afternoon.

## 

Last go around on the beaches for this guy today. After that, for me..

Screenshot_20181107-224600_Chrome.jpg.c9ef2be21842f62640ff7bc7feafaee2.jpg

Though I'm pretty sure several more waves of rats will make their way past SC in the coming weeks, I've had enough. No chance I'm fishing next week on wintry days with highs of 39; and too busy Turkeyday Wk.

Might drop on down in early December to try for one last beach bass, and get my 9 months of them. For all intents though, my fishing on hold til holdover season kicks into gear. ri, ya been great to me again this year. Thanks for the fishing, ya filthy animals.

Edited by rst3

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

39 mins ago, rst3 said:

AM report

Spot#1 Barren

Spot#2 Wasteland 

Spot#3 Joke

Spot#4 oh good-- life exists!

>>Oh bad! Nearest gannets 1000yds out. Edge of visual range. 14 trawlers 2-4mi out. Good news is, _____

Well, no good news for you maybe, but for me sitting way inland getting antsy from the weather, your report means I don't feel bad for staying home.