Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Nov 4 - Dec.

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity that could benefit those you use the RI forum.

The purpose is to blend together all reports in a portal so they are easy to access into one file. 

She warming up her pitch pipes, ready to sing, nearing the end of another fishing season. Since reports are getting scares, we'll run this thread all the way to December.

Thanks for all your contributions this fall. Hope it had made it easier to keep track of what's been going on. More importantly to get that fishing rod in your hand a few times before winter sets in.

Has anyone caught anything after dark? Past weeks bite has literally shut off after sundown - very spring schoolie -like, just curious if I’m the only one experiencing it. Also saw some distant madness in soco this morning before I had to go to work hopefully they moved in for you guys

Same. Hit multiple SOCO spots starting at 5:30am. I had high hopes going in but not a tap. Nice day to be out but that’s a wrap. 

While it was slow this morning in a lot of soco , it did pick up in the afternoon.....

In my case, no keeper size, but not that far off 

I ended my season last year on thanksgiving, and im thinking this season will 

probably end around then also.... 

At least in my limited experience, Ive seen RI Novembers where the bite goes ice cold, seem like barren ocean..then in another few days the situation changes with another push of sm schoolies. 

15 hours ago, RISurfcaster said:

Has anyone caught anything after dark? Past weeks bite has literally shut off after sundown - very spring schoolie -like, just curious if I’m the only one experiencing it. Also saw some distant madness in soco this morning before I had to go to work hopefully they moved in for you guys

5 or 6 nights ago there was a nite bite but all shorts for me. If i can get my #### together today ill try agn tonite.

16 hours ago, RISurfcaster said:

We are certainly getting close to that point.  There will still be some fish biting after dark but they become harder and harder to find, as the available fish are moving constantly and not staging anywhere.  Once holdovers set up they will bite at night.

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, RISurfcaster said:

Yes. Lots of fish this weekend at night including a few 30"+. Switched to tog on Sunday from the kayak though and did very well in the bay. Ended up with 3-4 around 18-20" and a few more shorts. Pain to stay on the spots in the wind.

Edited by xjclint

There's a large lady warming up. 

Looks like the final leg of the 2018 bass season will occur under wintertime conditions.

Choochoo.gif.2c8ca1cc6e02841d0884ee37666de423.gif

All aboard!

Siberian choo-choo heading south next week. Winter Cold and windy a good bet. Pack your mittens 

Screenshot_20181105-154836_Twitter.jpg.141bb823c8b1b83e35015959af890f09.jpg

gjq likes this

3 hours ago, SlackTideBri said:

Saw this and booked 5 day SoCo stay for this week thru Sunday. Still have herring run to look forward to.

B,

I share your optimism re Atlantic Herring run, for that's what drew me to SoCo last year around this time.

Given the lack of them in the Gulf of Maine (per rst3), we might be trying to intercept a non-existent run.

Having said that, optimism trumps data in this case for me.  

I'll text you to check on dates.

Has anyone seen a gannet yet?

Also not a lot of winter ducks around just yet?

More seals in Salt Pond than ever.

It's probably not over technically, but the sub stain winds and high surf make it unmanageable.

I'll keep a sharp eye out for signs of life out there Capt. Only saw gannets and a few sea ducks the Sunday after the nor'easter mainly in the west. 

Even if we get half the herring run as last fall the fish will be on the prowl for that shape and profile. Had the best SoCo fishing of my life last year when they were around. Just want everyone here to have a shot at quality fish before its time to hang it up.  

Maybe I'm an over enthusiastic wishful thinker because my redskins are 5-3!:laugh:

I have seen large rafts of sea ducks in gansett, they have been hiding from the constant wind in various coves.