jjdbike

Do you bleed fish in bucket?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I'm sailing on a seabass, cod, porgy trip from Pt. Pleasent to Block Island. I'm guessing there will be bluefish coming over the rails too.

I've seen some people keep a bucket w/ a rope tied to it. They'll lower it and fill w/ sea water. When the keep a fish they cut it and let it bleed out in the bucket. When the bucket gets crowded or captain moves boat they put fish on ice in cooler and replace the water w/ fresh sea water.

It keeps the cooler cleaner, I'm guessing the fish bleed out more in water. Plus one can not always fit cooler close to you on a full party boat, the buckt can be at your feet.

Who here does this?

Is it worth the effort over simply cutting and running them to the cooler?

Opinions?

JD

Absolutely!  Bleed them all out in a bucket, then throw them in cooler that is a combo of ice and ocean water, with enough water that it covers the fish.  They'll be so cold by the end of the day it will hurt your hand to pull them all out of the water, and the filets will be white and beautiful.

20140101_171421.jpg.fea31a4e8345fc1df7c7c56c098755f3.jpg

Edited by JoeyZac

8 mins ago, autonomos said:

Those filets look better than a supermarket showcase.  Sea bass would be my first guess.  Blackfish second.

Offshore Sea Bass.  New Year's eve a few years back.

I don't do the party boat thing very often, but I fish on my own boat all the time. IMHO the bucket thing is just a huge PITA, they will bleed just as well in the cooler in an ice/seawater mixture. You still have to clean the cooler either way.

On 11/4/2018 at 0:44 PM, JoeyZac said:

Absolutely!  Bleed them all out in a bucket, then throw them in cooler that is a combo of ice and ocean water, with enough water that it covers the fish.  They'll be so cold by the end of the day it will hurt your hand to pull them all out of the water, and the filets will be white and beautiful.

20140101_171421.jpg.fea31a4e8345fc1df7c7c56c098755f3.jpg

Thanks Joey,

I did exactly what you said.

It kept the cooler a lot cleaner & I believe they bled out more complelty submurged in seawater.

Also sea water in the cooler to submerge fish in brine ice slury.

22 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I don't do the party boat thing very often, but I fish on my own boat all the time. IMHO the bucket thing is just a huge PITA, they will bleed just as well in the cooler in an ice/seawater mixture. You still have to clean the cooler either way.

It wasn't at all a PIA. Yes cooler needs to be cleaned, but it's so much cleaner. Honestly, it was very clean after a simple rise. I'll do a bath in bleach & another freshwater rinse  it'll be ready for surf striper trip this weekend.

Thanks guys!

JD

This time of year i don't see why you need ice.  Put sea water in your cooler, after you catch your fish stab in  the top part of the gills and let it bleed in the sea water. When the mate cuts your fish you'll have clean fillets. Its well worth it.

36 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

This time of year i don't see why you need ice.  Put sea water in your cooler, after you catch your fish stab in  the top part of the gills and let it bleed in the sea water. When the mate cuts your fish you'll have clean fillets. Its well worth it.

Ocean temp was 62 degrees yesterday.  I'd call dead fish that are that temp "not spoiled," but that's about it.

You go through all that time, expense and effort to catch these fish, why not go through a tiny bit of effort to actually care for your catch?

The taste, texture and appearance of fish is greatly improved with proper care after it is caught.  Bluefish filets are a great example.  Its purple, mushy and smells when not bleed and iced right when caught but when properly done the filets are firm and white.  Its funny how gross most fish looks at the supermarkets in the Philly area

25 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Ocean temp was 62 degrees yesterday.  I'd call dead fish that are that temp "not spoiled," but that's about it.

You go through all that time, expense and effort to catch these fish, why not go through a tiny bit of effort to actually care for your catch?

They are fine for a few hours.  Most guys have their fish cleaned by the mates and they get all sorts of slime and stomach contents all over teh fish they are going to eat.  If you want to go through all the effort then bleed, ice, and cut your own.

6 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

They are fine for a few hours.  Most guys have their fish cleaned by the mates and they get all sorts of slime and stomach contents all over teh fish they are going to eat.  If you want to go through all the effort then bleed, ice, and cut your own.

Absolute madness.  I see people do this all the time and just shake my head and walk away.  All that effort to get these fish, then you let some mate clean them (which they do just fine with) BUT they leave the skin on (have to in NJ), and yeah, now you have a nice big bag of slime fillets. 

SCREW THAT!!!!

All our fish get bled in a bucket, put in an ice brine that is so cold it hurts your hand to take them out, and then cleaned by me when we get home.  Paper towels come into play, and not a single drop of slime makes it to any fillet.  To allow that would be pure madness.

Then I hear people tell me that the slime is no issue as when they get home they wash it all off with water from the sink before freezing them...........  Good god..............

My buddy was the most serious person I have ever know for bleeding fish. We would striper fish the rips in the hayday and I don't care how incredible the bite was, he would stop and cut every keeper that went into the cooler. One day we were back at the dock and he was cleaning the stripers. Another boat had returned and one of their guys was cleaning his next to ours. Me and another guy from the other boat were sitting there talking when he looked over to the cleaning board and said, wait a minute. There were two large stacks of fillets and the looked totally different. Ours were very clear and translucent and theirs were milky looking. The bottom of our cooler was covered with in a thick blood while theirs was clean. Cut them and drain the blood makes a world of difference.

Also try this. Don't sharpen the blade when you skin the stripers. You don't want to be right on the skin with the blade. The dark red meat we end up with one the fillets is located right on the skin. The closer you put the blade to the skin, the more red you get on the fillet. A real sharp edge isn't needed for skinning. Take your time and just ease the blade through and leave the red on the skin. I demonstrate this to others by skinning a striper fillet then skinning the skin side again. come away with a paper thin piece of fish that is almost all of the red meat that isn't what you want on your plate. 

On the kayak you just put them on a stringer and bleed them right into the water before dumping them in the cooler. What I can't figure out is how some fish can have their gill rakers cut clean through and still take forever to die! You'd think it was like cutting our jugular.